Prospect Info: With the 7th Overall Pick the Rangers Select Lias Andersson

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Dylan McIlrath and the entire 2010 draft except for Fast. That's just off the top of my head.

I'm not sure what more you can expect out of the drafting we've done as a franchise under Gordie. McIlrath was his one big miss. Other than that almost the whole team has been build off of drafting or players drafted and traded for someone (Nash).

Here's a post I made in another thread about Gordie:

I think I'm gonna trust Gordie and the European scouts and be optimistic about Andersson.

After some years as a scout for us, Gordie became the Director of Player Personnel in 2007.

Our first round picks in that time frame are:

2007: Cheraponav - Kid would've been a stud RIP (Hagelin in the 6th)

2008: Del Zotto, NHL D man. (Stepan in 2nd and Weise in 4th)

2009: Kreider

2010: McIlrath...yeah (Fast in 6th)

2011: Miller

2012: Skjei (Nieves in the 2nd)

Then no 1st rounds 2013-15 but a bunch of solid picks in later rounds:

2013: Duclair and Buchnevich in the 3rd, both are NHLers. Also Graves in the 4th could be.

2014: Shesterkin in the 4th will be an NHLer

2015: Gropp in 2nd (eh), Saarella in 3rd was a good pick he'll be an NHLer (for Canes ugh) and Huska in 7th

2016: Day in 3rd round, Gettinger in 5th, Fontaine and Wall in 6th and Ronning in 7th all look like they could be NHLers.

Gordie's 1st round track record as the Dir of Player Personnel is excellent IMO, only miss was McIlrath.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Based on last season, that's top 20 in the NHL. Our best guys last year were Mika/Oscar with 52%, so let's hope he can hover somewhere around there. Faceoffs is a skill you learn with time anyways, and most of it is knowing how to cheat as "cleanly" as possible.

We picked this guy 7th in the draft, some have said he could be a Selke winner, he gets rave reviews for his defense, very competitive player, smart player.

I don't know why 55% is unrealistic for a guy who will probably be our best defensive center over the next 5-10 years. Its not like we drafted a pure offense guy.

If we hope he maximizes his ceiling, its probably going to be as a Bergeron or Zetterberg, not a Malkin or Stamkos.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I'm not sure what more you can expect out of the drafting we've done as a franchise under Gordie. McIlrath was his one big miss. Other than that almost the whole team has been build off of drafting or players drafted and traded for someone (Nash).

Here's a post I made in another thread about Gordie:

I wouldn't include anything from 2014 on because those are all still question marks at this point. Mcilrath was an atrocious pick. He would have been better off relieving himself all over the stage.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
IMO this kid is closer than a lot of people think. Upside may not be that of a first liner, but if you get an all-situations player that helps you win, you got a good player.

No one says Steen was the letdown for all of those good Blues teams in the playoffs. Goaltending.. yes.. for sure.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
He might play in the NHL this coming season.

I wouldn't bring him over personally; I'd let him play one more year in Sweden, but he plays an NHL style game already.

Also, that 10 second clip of him skating looks like he'd do that circuit faster on one leg than Derek Stepan would on both of his. Looks very agile.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
He might play in the NHL this coming season.

I wouldn't bring him over personally; I'd let him play one more year in Sweden, but he plays an NHL style game already.

Also, that 10 second clip of him skating looks like he'd do that circuit faster on one leg than Derek Stepan would on both of his. Looks very agile.

I haven't really heard reports he would be ready to play this season. Did you read that somewhere or is that your analysis of his game?

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
Pretty sure players don't declare themselves as being NHL ready...I think every player would say "yes, I am ready" after being drafted if asked.

It was today at prospect camp. He was asked where he plans to play next year. Said he was discussing plans with the staff here in NY, and that he hopes to be here come October

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
It was today at prospect camp. He was asked where he plans to play next year. Said he was discussing plans with the staff here in NY, and that he hopes to be here come October

just saw that interview

composed mature young man.

said he wants to break camp with the team this season.

love it. :handclap:

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York

Love the confidence, but I don't think it would be wise to bring this kid over here this season. Let him continue to develop for another year or two.

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
Love the confidence, but I don't think it would be wise to bring this kid over here this season. Let him continue to develop for another year or two.

Agreed but I feel like they'll bring him over anyways. Don't think it'll hurt his development much considering he's already been playing in a men's league. Would love to see him on our 3s or 4s.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't know why its always considered rushing a player or ruining them to have them play in a tougher environment.

Its one thing to actually do things to ruin a prospect like sitting them in the press box in the NHL over in an easier league or playing them a few minutes per game or playing them in a role that doesn't suit their current strengths.

Its another to give the player a chance to compete for a role. I don't know how that would ruin or rush Andersson. We don't know what his current level is. He was a competent 3C on the best team in Sweden last season, but he played a small role, and wasn't given big ice time to put up big point totals. If he was given a bigger role, maybe he would've been a second liner. And we are talking about a better league than the AHL. He had 19 points in 42 games. If that was 35 points in 60 games with Hartford, would people say he had no chance to make the NHL team this year? We also have to consider that we don't have much center depth right now, and he's a very highly regarded younger player, so he should develop more than most other prospects will, given his talent level.

If he's not ready, send him back. If he is ready though, why not keep him? Have the coach commit to giving him no less than a top 9 role, and go from there. But thats only if he is ready.

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
I don't know why its always considered rushing a player or ruining them to have them play in a tougher environment.

Its one thing to actually do things to ruin a prospect like sitting them in the press box in the NHL over in an easier league or playing them a few minutes per game or playing them in a role that doesn't suit their current strengths.

Its another to give the player a chance to compete for a role. I don't know how that would ruin or rush Andersson. We don't know what his current level is. He was a competent 3C on the best team in Sweden last season, but he played a small role, and wasn't given big ice time to put up big point totals. If he was given a bigger role, maybe he would've been a second liner. And we are talking about a better league than the AHL. He had 19 points in 42 games. If that was 35 points in 60 games with Hartford, would people say he had no chance to make the NHL team this year? We also have to consider that we don't have much center depth right now, and he's a very highly regarded younger player, so he should develop more than most other prospects will, given his talent level.

If he's not ready, send him back. If he is ready though, why not keep him? Have the coach commit to giving him no less than a top 9 role, and go from there. But thats only if he is ready.

Agreed, if he's ready, give him a chance.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
kid seems ready to make a play for a spot.

hes confident and skilled. has a solid frame and seems mature mentally and physically.

has the pedigree too. comes from a hockey family.

if he's ready, let him make an argument for us to keep him. when he said, " i wanna win everything" i thought that was very cool

lets see whats he's got.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

That last sentence is what worries me, especially having lost Lindberg. The temptation for AV to just keep him around as 4C is scary.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
IMO He has all the tools/makeup to play in the NHL at 19.

We need a 3C. It's his spot to lose.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If he shows he's ready to come over and have a regular role earning decent minutes in the NHL, then I'm all for it. If he's gonna yo-yo between irregular appearances in the NHL and Hartford, that's a waste and he needs to stay in Sweden where he has a bigger, more secure role. Only if the Rangers are absolutely sure he's ready to play regularly in the NHL should he stay here.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
If he shows he's ready to come over and have a regular role earning decent minutes in the NHL, then I'm all for it. If he's gonna yo-yo between irregular appearances in the NHL and Hartford, that's a waste and he needs to stay in Sweden where he has a bigger, more secure role. Only if the Rangers are absolutely sure he's ready to play regularly in the NHL should he stay here.

NYR have an interesting history here
Both Step and Hayes came to camp as rookie C's and never left
IF he earns it, it will be good if he stays
I agree, part time ice time wont help him,
but if the coaches (and vets) work with him, and AV keep throwing him out there,
he could be embedded top 8 F by Olympic, err, AllStar break

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
NYR have an interesting history here
Both Step and Hayes came to camp as rookie C's and never left
IF he earns it, it will be good if he stays
I agree, part time ice time wont help him,
but if the coaches (and vets) work with him, and AV keep throwing him out there,
he could be embedded top 8 F by Olympic, err, AllStar break

Not really similar.

Stepan was 20. Hayes was 22.

Does anyone know who the last 18 year-old to play for the Rangers was? I don't. Duke was 19. Is it Blackburn?

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Not really similar.

Stepan was 20. Hayes was 22.

Does anyone know who the last 18 year-old to play for the Rangers was? I don't. Duke was 19. Is it Blackburn?

Can't think of anyone off the top of my head. It's pretty rare to see on the Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad