Prospect Info: With the 6th Overall Pick the Golden Knights Select Cody Glass

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
He's lost a ton of speed this year due to bulking up. They also stick him in front of the net on the PP instead of using his playmaking skills.

So yeah I'd say up to this point they're mismanaging him. They see Schiefele when he's been clearly more of a Giroux.

Giroux? Giroux was a fast forechecking menace when he was young. I don't think that sounds like Glass.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I owned glass in my dynasty league and traded him because I was becoming bearish on him. Obviously still young, but was hoping for more impact on the league so far.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Should trade him this offseason. Longer they bury him in AHL, the lower his value drops. A top 10 pick always has trade value until he's 25, they should be able to get at least a late 1st or early 2nd.

Its time to be honest here, leaving guys to cook in the AHL isn't all that valuable a strategy. This year was perfect to say we have enough to get to the playoffs in a weak division without having to use veterans at every position. A shorter season with an easy field was the perfect time to say we're going to use Glass, Krebs, Hague, etc. Pick out 3 or 4 young guys and say we're going to use them nearly 100% and this will be the season they all sink or swim at the NHL level. Putting them in different roles by having them sit some and play selected opponents just isn't how you get a young prospect up to his full NHL potential.

But that isn't how this management operates and it sucks for those who aren't just casual fans. There was so much this season could have been and they still would have had almost the same chance to win the Cup. They could have taken advantage of the expansion draft and gotten a backup goalie plus some other depth for well below market value. They could have transitioned younger players into more important roles preventing a huge drop off in 2-3 years. But nope, old man Foley wants his Cup, damn putting together longer lasting success. I mean really after year one this team was set to be contenders for 5-7 years and with the way they have drafted it could be longer. Instead its Cup in six and then watch out below.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Should trade him this offseason. Longer they bury him in AHL, the lower his value drops. A top 10 pick always has trade value until he's 25, they should be able to get at least a late 1st or early 2nd.

Its time to be honest here, leaving guys to cook in the AHL isn't all that valuable a strategy. This year was perfect to say we have enough to get to the playoffs in a weak division without having to use veterans at every position. A shorter season with an easy field was the perfect time to say we're going to use Glass, Krebs, Hague, etc. Pick out 3 or 4 young guys and say we're going to use them nearly 100% and this will be the season they all sink or swim at the NHL level. Putting them in different roles by having them sit some and play selected opponents just isn't how you get a young prospect up to his full NHL potential.

But that isn't how this management operates and it sucks for those who aren't just casual fans. There was so much this season could have been and they still would have had almost the same chance to win the Cup. They could have taken advantage of the expansion draft and gotten a backup goalie plus some other depth for well below market value. They could have transitioned younger players into more important roles preventing a huge drop off in 2-3 years. But nope, old man Foley wants his Cup, damn putting together longer lasting success. I mean really after year one this team was set to be contenders for 5-7 years and with the way they have drafted it could be longer. Instead its Cup in six and then watch out below.

I don't disagree with a lot here but Glass has played all of one AHL game. It's even worse than that, they're having him watch games in the press box instead of getting as much game time as he can.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I agree trade Cody for Eichel.

Why stop there? McDavid will want out of Edmonton soon too :laugh:

Seriously though will be interesting to see how the Kraken approach this season. Glass getting traded there might make perfect sense. Can request a player from the exposed lists and get some developed player instead if that's all they know how to handle.

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
Do you guys think he has anything close to first line potential anymore? I have him in a keeper league (rebuilding team), but have about 4-5 guys competing for my final 3 protection spots this offseason, Krebs and Glass being two of them.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Do you guys think he has anything close to first line potential anymore? I have him in a keeper league (rebuilding team), but have about 4-5 guys competing for my final 3 protection spots this offseason, Krebs and Glass being two of them.

Absolutely, without question he still has 1C upside.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Yeah, I agree. He hasn't been any less impressive than Stone or Theodore were their first three years after draft and now they're a top 10 winger and 1D. Theodore didn't even break out his fourth year and we had him in the AHL for a few weeks (not for on ice reasons but still was there) in his fifth year. Theodore didn't really break out all the way our first season either. Not to mention someone like Karlsson who took longer.

Difference in expectations being drafted 178th, 26th or 53rd instead of 6th.

He still has time.

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016

Yeah, fair enough. I was pretty high on him in his draft year, but I haven't really watched much of him in the NHL. What would you say are his weaknesses at this level that he needs to overcome to take that next step?

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Yeah, fair enough. I was pretty high on him in his draft year, but I haven't really watched much of him in the NHL. What would you say are his weaknesses at this level that he needs to overcome to take that next step?

Skating, skating and skating.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
The biggest surprise to me from the early days of this thread is how quickly McPhee built a winner. I had anticipated Glass would get plenty of time to settle in at the NHL level but it's hard to do that when you have a loaded roster and contender.

So yeah I'm disappointed but I also think the kid has time. Lot of this game is mental too IMO, where you are only going to tap into your speed when you're properly anticipating things and playing without thinking. Either way it's nice to have a prospect of his talent level who is close to putting things together and I am hopeful he finishes that last stage of his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad