With the 4th pick in the 2021 (NEXT SEASON'S) draft, the DRW select?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't see us finishing dead last again (it rarely happens that a team finishes last 2 years in a row). Thus, I don't see us picking top 5 next year with the luck we've been getting in the lottery. Most likely 6th if I had to bet..
Rarely has a team been this devoid of talent, at least in the salary cap era. This team is finishing last unless Stevie decides to pick up some UFA talent or two of the prospects absolutely light it up.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't agree with that at all, in fact both brothers and his parents say he is better than they were at the same point in development. We will see, he is the most physically gifted of the Hughes boys, skates the same/better as them really with more frame on him. They talk general hockey in terms of he might be the best but they actually all very much agree he is the best skater in the family which is frightening to think about.

I think Jack winds up the best, I think Luke and Quinn are a pretty dead heat, but I am fascinated to watch him this year. I am not sure he is quite the passer Quinn is, but he has a lot heavier shot as a younger guy and plays with a little more jam defensively. Most exciting USA D-man prospect since Jones in my opinion, that is the company Luke Hughes keeps, hopefully he lives up like Seth Jones.

I’m with you, I expect big things from him next year.

That said, I am a huge fan of Carson Lambos. Can’t stress that enough.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I don't agree with that at all, in fact both brothers and his parents say he is better than they were at the same point in development. We will see, he is the most physically gifted of the Hughes boys, skates the same/better as them really with more frame on him. They talk general hockey in terms of he might be the best but they actually all very much agree he is the best skater in the family which is frightening to think about.

I think Jack winds up the best, I think Luke and Quinn are a pretty dead heat, but I am fascinated to watch him this year. I am not sure he is quite the passer Quinn is, but he has a lot heavier shot as a younger guy and plays with a little more jam defensively. Most exciting USA D-man prospect since Jones in my opinion, that is the company Luke Hughes keeps, hopefully he lives up like Seth Jones.

I'll second this. I'm not sure who of the 3 is going to be best, but I'm confident they'll all be impact players. Luke Hughes looks like he is going to be more of a 2 way defender than Quinn, and in his D-1 is almost as good a skater as his brothers were in their draft year while being bigger. He will be a very good prospect, for sure. Probably NHL bound after 1 or 2 years at U of M. (They're getting some exceptional prospects in the next year or two)

I'm hoping that somehow we can get Owen Powers but I also have this gut feeling he's going top 2 or 3 next year, and an even worse feeling that again we'll fall in the lottery to 4 or 5. Brandt Clarke is another guy I want to watch closely, as is Carson Lambos.

Simon Edvinsson is a name I've seen tossed out there a lot lately; 6'4" swedish defenseman that's as skinny as a beanpole, but supposed to be an excellent skater. Is he more William Wallinder or Rasmus Dahlin?

Either way, unless the Wings poop the bed and draft Drysdale this year I would expect a defenseman early in next year's draft. Clarke is my early favorite.

Here's a clip of one of Brandt Clarke's snipes. This kid looks like he could be a puck-rushing, goal scoring defenseman.

Kent Johnson is kind of an intriguing prospect to me, but I've read Kyle Turris comparisons and that scares the hell out of me.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'll second this. I'm not sure who of the 3 is going to be best, but I'm confident they'll all be impact players. Luke Hughes looks like he is going to be more of a 2 way defender than Quinn, and in his D-1 is almost as good a skater as his brothers were in their draft year while being bigger. He will be a very good prospect, for sure. Probably NHL bound after 1 or 2 years at U of M. (They're getting some exceptional prospects in the next year or two)

I'm hoping that somehow we can get Owen Powers but I also have this gut feeling he's going top 2 or 3 next year, and an even worse feeling that again we'll fall in the lottery to 4 or 5. Brandt Clarke is another guy I want to watch closely, as is Carson Lambos.

Simon Edvinsson is a name I've seen tossed out there a lot lately; 6'4" swedish defenseman that's as skinny as a beanpole, but supposed to be an excellent skater. Is he more William Wallinder or Rasmus Dahlin?

Either way, unless the Wings poop the bed and draft Drysdale this year I would expect a defenseman early in next year's draft. Clarke is my early favorite.

Here's a clip of one of Brandt Clarke's snipes. This kid looks like he could be a puck-rushing, goal scoring defenseman.

Kent Johnson is kind of an intriguing prospect to me, but I've read Kyle Turris comparisons and that scares the hell out of me.

I would expect a LHD pick even if Stevie does pick Drysdale. Build defense first like Nashville. (Which would be a little odd considering Stevie was a center and Tampa had ridiculous offense.) Plus it wouldn't be that hard to trade Hronek for a decent 2C or try Fabbri there.

Chances are pretty good that we'll land Powers or Hughes after losing out on the lottery and picking 4th again. At least the defense is shaping up nicely.... maybe Stevie can actually go out and get some real UFA players with some talent when Flip, Bernie, and Nemeth are gone. (Nemeth has been playing up to his contract, so his is not a complaint.)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Will there even be a season next year?

If not, do they have another draft based on 2019 rankings?
They're planning on playing.

There's already a precedent for a lost season. More than likely they will use a lottery format similar to the lockout season if the whole season gets cancelled, in which case the Wings will really get screwed, and could even possibly pick last.....

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
They're planning on playing.

There's already a precedent for a lost season. More than likely they will use a lottery format similar to the lockout season if the whole season gets cancelled, in which case the Wings will really get screwed, and could even possibly pick last.....

Well all the Ilitches have do due is complain about finances and threaten to move. They'll get #1 overall.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The thought of Owen Power and Seider manning the blueline for the next decade is pretty enticing. Detroit would be terrifying come playoff time.

Most intriguing guy to watch is Kent Johnson for sure though. From a weak league but blowing the doors off of it. If I'm betting money, I might put it on him to go first but not sure how quick hell adjust to NCAA hockey from that league. I could see him being similar to Makar where people wonder why he was questioned at all

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
I like Clarke as well. He's a right defenseman. I know you draft for BPA, but Detroit kinda a decent amount of them.

I wouldn't hate the pick at all.
I agree with u, but Clarke is legitimately too good to pass up if power, and maybe Hughes are gone we can't pass on Clarke just BC he shoots with the wrong hand. He's really special imo.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
One of Power/Lambos/Hughes for me at this point, but it’s early, and there are quite a few promising young players coming up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad