With the 4th pick in the 2021 (NEXT SEASON'S) draft, the DRW select?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Just noticed the year. The draft is too far off and a full season is a ton of development time for a 17-year-old. I am going to say Beniers, Clarke or Edvinsson as blind guesses.

Ask again in May of 2021 and I am sure I will have much different answers.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
a U of M guy

Sort of hoping we just get the guy that committed there but never winds up going there in Luke Hughes... I have a feeling he is a top 3 pick in this draft though. I think he might be the best D-man through the program when we start talking about him next year. He is going to challenge some records as a true 17 year old the entire season assuming they get a somewhat normal schedule which does seem kind of unlikely right now...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Luuuke, though I would expect Raty if the Wings win the lottery.

Seems like decent talent down to #7 or 8, so maybe the Wings can afford to win a few games this season, which means that we don't need to re-sign Howie.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Sort of hoping we just get the guy that committed there but never winds up going there in Luke Hughes... I have a feeling he is a top 3 pick in this draft though. I think he might be the best D-man through the program when we start talking about him next year. He is going to challenge some records as a true 17 year old the entire season assuming they get a somewhat normal schedule which does seem kind of unlikely right now...
I know he’s much more mature and bigger than Quinn was but you don’t think he’ll play 1 season in the ncaa?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I know he’s much more mature and bigger than Quinn was but you don’t think he’ll play 1 season in the ncaa?

Given his age and position it wouldn't surprise me. Depending on next season, I am not sure I don't just take him directly pro, we will have to see. I think at this point he is tracking as perhaps the best through the program and I don't see him as more than his one season after the draft as a junior or college player, so all options should really be on the table with him in my opinion. Not sure U of M is really the best one, but would have to see their roster makeup as well to make the final decision entering that 21-22 season.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Taller, but they've got him listed at 162 lbs. A lot depends on how much bulk he can put on in one season. I'm guessing he does a year or two in the NCAA. I wouldn't want him getting run over like Hirose does. (I know, different position and all, but I've never seen an NHL player get abused as much as Taro.)

GOZetterberg

Dec 10, 2019
I don't see us finishing dead last again (it rarely happens that a team finishes last 2 years in a row). Thus, I don't see us picking top 5 next year with the luck we've been getting in the lottery. Most likely 6th if I had to bet..

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I don't see us finishing dead last again (it rarely happens that a team finishes last 2 years in a row). Thus, I don't see us picking top 5 next year with the luck we've been getting in the lottery. Most likely 6th if I had to bet..

This has authentic 2020 depression vibes.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That outcome could be same as Fail for Nail.

Luke Hughes is the weakest Hughes-brother.

I don't agree with that at all, in fact both brothers and his parents say he is better than they were at the same point in development. We will see, he is the most physically gifted of the Hughes boys, skates the same/better as them really with more frame on him. They talk general hockey in terms of he might be the best but they actually all very much agree he is the best skater in the family which is frightening to think about.

I think Jack winds up the best, I think Luke and Quinn are a pretty dead heat, but I am fascinated to watch him this year. I am not sure he is quite the passer Quinn is, but he has a lot heavier shot as a younger guy and plays with a little more jam defensively. Most exciting USA D-man prospect since Jones in my opinion, that is the company Luke Hughes keeps, hopefully he lives up like Seth Jones.

Last edited:

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Definitely hot to trot for Hughes. I really, really wanted Quinn but c`est la vie. Depending on our position and how this season goes for his development, I'd love to see one of the Hughes bros finally don that winged wheel. He is tracking just as well as Quinn as far as program stats go, and he is going to be one of the youngest in the draft class, so a lot of development left to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad