Prospect Info: With the 39th Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Olof Lindbom

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Said it before and I will say it again. I hate the pick for a variety of reasons. However, to call the kid a bust or that he will already be terrible is just wrong. You can hate the selection without thinking the player will automatically be bad simultaneously.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I've never been of the belief that you can just ignore bad strategy because the prospect became good. If this kid becomes a starter, we still could have had him later and another NHL player at 39.

look at the names taken after this kid at 39.

mind boggling.

convince me that this kid was a better play than say bode wilde, eriksson, thomas , addison or tychonik to name a few SKATERS. wtf

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Did he say at about 1 minute mark that the trade value of goalies in NHL is very high?

And they picked a goalie 39th overall because they had him by far the number 1 goalie in this draft. They make no sense. Gorton is as dumb as he looks.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Did he say at about 1 minute mark that the trade value of goalies in NHL is very high?

And they picked a goalie 39th overall because they had him by far the number 1 goalie in this draft. They make no sense. Gorton is as dumb as he looks.

Looking at some recent younger goalie trades:
Martin Jones got a mid first
Leaner got a first
Schneider got the 9th OA
Grubauer and a cap dump just got a mid 2nd

Doesn’t excuse the pick, but young backups who’ve played 20-30 games well seem decently valued, that could be the only bright spot that could come out of it

Reactions: Jeff Groten

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Leaner got a first
Schneider got the 9th OA

Doesn’t excuse the pick, but young backups who’ve played 20-30 games well seem decently valued, that could be the only bright spot that could come out of it

Yeah, and I think we are used to like getting a starter and then going with that kid for 15 years. Like from the early 50s we basically had Gump W/ Giacomin/ Davidson/ Beezer/ Richter/ Hank right? Those 6 must have been the starters like 90% of those 70 seasons...

But with the Cap I don’t think it have to be bad at all to have a bigger turnover between the pipes. It pays off in two ways if you can have a guy that comes in and establish himself that then can be replaced in his prime; 1. you get value in a trade when you move him, and 2. the guy you replace him with will be a lot cheaper.

If you get like a top 3 or 5 or maybe even 10 guy, you might want to hold on to him. But is it worth it to pay UFA year’s money to someone that is like 10-20? I think it’s much better in that case to play someone 4, 5 or 6 years and then move that kid and replace him from within or by getting guys like Nilsson or Lehrner or the likes that Allaiare can work with.

And with that approach you need many different streams of goalies into the system. The draft is one of them. Like someone said, maybe we should take more guys with late round picks too.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
And what have those players accomplished? They are just names you've heard.

The point is at least those names weren't off the board picks for a position we didn't have as a big need. Hank is our guy for a few more years...and Shesty is looking great early on as a good bet to step into those shoes down the road. Tons of goalies were selected in later rounds...and by teams in much worse shape at the position than us. For us to reach for this kid is just mind boggling.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
What's crazy about this pick for me is that even if Olof does well and we trade him for a 1st round pick, you're saying that pick is going to be significantly better than players like Wilde, Thomas, McLeod, and Ishakhov. I hope this pans out. The optimistic POV is that we likely got the best young up-and-coming Swedish goaltender.

If this draft doesn't pan out, it's time to say goodbye to Clark IMO. I still feel reasonably ok with whoever does the scouting in Russia and the USA. Canadian scouts have been dog crap for as long as I can remember. I dunno if Rockstrom is still our Swedish scout but he hasn't really hit gold since Lundqvist, Hagelin and Fast. We'll have to see how this current super batch of drafted Swedes pans out.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
At World under 18s he was goalie of the tournament

You aren't wrong about that, but Spencer Knight was the best goalie at this tournament, and it wasn't even close. He got absolutely robbed of this honor.

Lindbom was good, but he played behind the best defense at the tournament.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Look, this was the goalie the Rangers wanted. A lot of posters complained you don’t select a GK before the 4th round... well this player wouldn’t have been available when the Rangers picked in the 3rd round!

I don't think this is true. I really didn't see anyone rank him as the top goalie or even top 3-4 goalies. I think he probably could've been had in the 4th or 5th round.

But saying that, I don't agree with the people saying we shouldn't have taken a goalie. We didn't take a goalie in the 2017 draft. I don't think its a good idea to go many drafts without taking a goalie. You need to keep acquiring goalie prospects. There's a lot of variables with this position. I wouldn't have selected a goalie in the second round. I would've taken one in the later rounds.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
What's crazy about this pick for me is that even if Olof does well and we trade him for a 1st round pick, you're saying that pick is going to be significantly better than players like Wilde, Thomas, McLeod, and Ishakhov. I hope this pans out. The optimistic POV is that we likely got the best young up-and-coming Swedish goaltender.

If this draft doesn't pan out, it's time to say goodbye to Clark IMO. I still feel reasonably ok with whoever does the scouting in Russia and the USA. Canadian scouts have been dog crap for as long as I can remember. I dunno if Rockstrom is still our Swedish scout but he hasn't really hit gold since Lundqvist, Hagelin and Fast. We'll have to see how this current super batch of drafted Swedes pans out.

these are our scouts:

Larry Bernard, Jeff Beukeboom, Rich Brown, Brendon Clark, Daniel Dore, Eric Doyle, Mikko Eloranta, Steve Eminger, Jan Gajdosik, Kim Gellert, Oto Hascak, Jamie Herrington, Rick Kehoe, Patric Kjellberg, Gilles Leger, Vladimir Lutchenko, Justin Sather, Peter Stephan

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Leaner got a first
Schneider got the 9th OA

Those are not very high returns and you need to find special time to trade them and usually only couple of teams are interested. And would it make sense for us to trade these goalies down the line for 2nd round pick when we spent a high 2nd rounder to draft them?

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
If you're going to at least put forth a semblance of an argument for the pick...

He is 17 and has shown very strong raw talent.
He is the prototypical style that Allaire loves, deep in his crease, position-ally focused, very good hockey IQ.
We have several in the system, yes, but development of a goalie is the most volatile position out there.
The expansion draft is losing as well, very real possibility we lose a goalie then, like Georgiev, and you have to at least be prepared for that scenario.
Gordie said we had this guy ranked noticeably higher than any other goalie in the draft, the pick is done and we took the plunge, might as well roll with it now.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
This pick baffled me from the start, but they must see something that they really like here.

Also thinking that guys they had on their list were gone at this point. Specifically, Bob McKenzie spoke about O'Brien being linked to the Rangers. Mentioned that they wanted him and thought he would be there later. I also think they were in on Woo who was selected 2 picks before. The club was also linked to Calen Addision. They passed him up.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
The only way this pick becomes a decent pick is if he is the next Henrik Lundqvist. Anything other than that and this was a waste of a pick.

EDIT: to add, even if he becomes an average NHL starter, this was a bad pick

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Let's pretend for a second that goalie trade value is high enough to justify this, based on some of the more recent trades taking a goalie in the early second and round hoping it becomes a late first pick in a trade is like winning $100,000 and putting it in a savings account for 5 years at 1% interest.

If they like the kid and thought he was good value at 39, fine, but trying to justify based on potential trade value 3-5 years from now is dumb.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Supposedly Allaire loved the picked.

My view falls into two categories.

I like the player a lot.

I'm not crazy about the slot.

Having said that, because the Rangers traded the 49th pick, there wasn't necessarily a chance to grab him later and the Rangers might have felt he wasn't going to be there at 70.

I guess I would've preferred the Rangers trade down to maximize value --- but that's probably a theme for most of their 2018 draft.

At the end of the day, the Rangers clearly got the guys they wanted and made sure they got them.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
I don't think this is true. I really didn't see anyone rank him as the top goalie or even top 3-4 goalies. I think he probably could've been had in the 4th or 5th round.

But saying that, I don't agree with the people saying we shouldn't have taken a goalie. We didn't take a goalie in the 2017 draft. I don't think its a good idea to go many drafts without taking a goalie. You need to keep acquiring goalie prospects. There's a lot of variables with this position. I wouldn't have selected a goalie in the second round. I would've taken one in the later rounds.

It’s a great pick IMO so we can ageee to disagree on that. As for “not seeing anyone rank him as a top goalie” you have to understand that our scouts and our organization ranked him #1 goalie in the draft....and we got him.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Supposedly Allaire loved the picked.

My view falls into two categories.

I like the player a lot.

I'm not crazy about the slot.

Having said that, because the Rangers traded the 49th pick, there wasn't necessarily a chance to grab him later and the Rangers might have felt he wasn't going to be there at 70.

I guess I would've preferred the Rangers trade down to maximize value --- but that's probably a theme for most of their 2018 draft.

At the end of the day, the Rangers clearly got the guys they wanted and made sure they got them.

This pick would make sense if instead of Shestyorkin we had just an above average goalie prospect. I don't get why we'd make this pick with possibly a top 5 goalie prospect in the world. Particularly with how devalued goaltending is in this league (and no it's not like kicking in football, that's just silly). You don't need a great goalie to win and if you have a great goalie you don't necessarily win. They treated goalie like the QB position but it's very different from it.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This pick would make sense if instead of Shestyorkin we had just an above average goalie prospect. I don't get why we'd make this pick with possibly a top 5 goalie prospect in the world. Particularly with how devalued goaltending is in this league (and no it's not like kicking in football, that's just silly). You don't need a great goalie to win and if you have a great goalie you don't necessarily win. They treated goalie like the QB position but it's very different from it.

Basically, they really liked what they saw.

From an age perspective, the kid's 17, so not only is on the younger side of the draft, he's also potentially as far as 6 or so years away.

Hank's 42 and gone by that point. Even Shestyorkin and Georgiev are potentially 28/29 by then.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Basically, they really liked what they saw.

From an age perspective, the kid's 17, so not only is on the younger side of the draft, he's also potentially as far as 6 or so years away.

Hank's 42 and gone by that point. Even Shestyorkin and Georgiev are potentially 28/29 by then.

But 28/29 isn't old. Were they drafting the replacement's replacement on top of the 2nd round? Seems silly to me.

Reactions: Machinehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad