With no NHL hockey for a few weeks (and me feeling slighlty nostalgic)...

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What are some of your more memorable debates on these boards? I realize that some of the old-timers here may have more of a library to think from, but just curious.

For myself, there were two. And this goes back a long, long way. For the few of us that remember JR, I remember WAAAAAAAY back before the new format, when you could see the thread count pile up. This was also back in the day when no debate was too small for me. I cannot remember how this came about. But at one point, Sylvan Lefebvre had a particularly egregious game. I was so fed up with what I was seeing that not only did I want him out of the lineup, but I wanted Dale Purinton of all people to permanently replace him. This argument went on for weeks. We were both throwing out statistics, grasping at straws. Eventually, no other poster even bothered to chime in. It was just him and I rattling on for weeks on end. The funny thing is that I would see him at games and have a beer with him and we would both laugh about it, but then would start right up the next day again.

The second one was with someone who to this day, I consider one of the very best debaters ever. Dedalus and I were on opposite sides of the fence when it came to the lockout. I was pro-player and very hot headed about it. Dedalus, in his calm way, debated me for about over year on this, in various threads. As it turned out, every one of my assertions about how it would turn out, was incorrect and his views virtually all came to fruition. I kept going with him for a year. Cordially, off course, but kept it up.

Eventually, when the owners broke the players union and rammed their terms down the players' throat, I sent him a private message congratulating him.

Him and Anerin were always the toughest for me.

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
Bathgate vs. Messier?

What are some of your more memorable debates on these boards? I realize that some of the old-timers here may have more of a library to think from, but just curious.

For myself, there were two. And this goes back a long, long way. For the few of us that remember JR, I remember WAAAAAAAY back before the new format, when you could see the thread count pile up. This was also back in the day when no debate was too small for me. I cannot remember how this came about. But at one point, Sylvan Lefebvre had a particularly egregious game. I was so fed up with what I was seeing that not only did I want him out of the lineup, but I wanted Dale Purinton of all people to permanently replace him. This argument went on for weeks. We were both throwing out statistics, grasping at straws. Eventually, no other poster even bothered to chime in. It was just him and I rattling on for weeks on end. The funny thing is that I would see him at games and have a beer with him and we would both laugh about it, but then would start right up the next day again.

The second one was with someone who to this day, I consider one of the very best debaters ever. Dedalus and I were on opposite sides of the fence when it came to the lockout. I was pro-player and very hot headed about it. Dedalus, in his calm way, debated me for about over year on this, in various threads. As it turned out, every one of my assertions about how it would turn out, was incorrect and his views virtually all came to fruition. I kept going with him for a year. Cordially, off course, but kept it up.

Eventually, when the owners broke the players union and rammed their terms down the players' throat, I sent him a private message congratulating him.

Has there ever been a thread devoted to a comparison of Andy Bathgate and Mark Messier, in terms of their respective contributions to the New York Rangers? Does the Stanley Cup in 1994 trump Bathgate's efforts?

Before John Ferguson arrived, and set about turning me off to him and the Blueshirts, I had been quite the fan of Emile Francis' team, and appreciated what Bathgate had done before Francis arrived.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

For myself it was during the Stepan holdout. I believed he was being greedy. Others were saying he should hold out for an extra $250k a year and what they would do for that amount of money. It went on for at least a week.

I tend to be very pro owner and believe that players get a bit too greedy at times. Other people look at what their lifestyle is and what $250k would mean to them but not look at it from a % term when you are already making 3 million. That was one of my favorites.

I also enjoy debating people ***** and complain about Brian Boyle.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
God, remember the Kovalchuk thread(s)? That discussion seemed to continue interminably. It was interesting for the most part, but as time went on the original arguments really started to run out...

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
God, remember the Kovalchuk thread(s)? That discussion seemed to continue interminably. It was interesting for the most part, but as time went on the original arguments really started to run out...

Absolutely. Those were my favorites. I remember all the countless cap geek rosters that had Kovalchuk slated in there signed freshly out of FA (because those posters were so 100% sure he was making it to FA)

bathgate

Jun 14, 2005

How do you forget the arguments with AtlantaRanger.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How do you forget the arguments with AtlantaRanger.
Wow. Good memory. My memory actually goes back far enough to where (and I cannot quite remember the origins of this) to where Klingsor was accused of being my sidekick and we ran a poll to see who gets the official nomination. Singin' won the title of my official sidekick and I cannot remember who the 3rd entry was.

I think that argument started back during the Muckler years.

The AtlantaRanger ones were quite lengthy.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Dedalus always had something interesting to say. A great poster. As was Edge. His stuff on the draft was always top notch. He shows up still now and again. Then there was Aneirin--who I used to like a lot--but that's from before I started posting.

We've always had a few trade happy people--Pasha, J-Orts--now we have Bernmeister and Dane.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Wow. Good memory. My memory actually goes back far enough to where (and I cannot quite remember the origins of this) to where Klingsor was accused of being my sidekick and we ran a poll to see who gets the official nomination. Singin' won the title of my official sidekick and I cannot remember who the 3rd entry was.

I think that argument started back during the Muckler years.

The AtlantaRanger ones were quite lengthy.

Davisian.

Last edited:

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
Mine was with True Blue and BigE (I think that was his handle) about the benefits of keeping Marcel Hossa in the lineup. I was a big proponent of keeping Hossa in the lineup as he was great in the shootout and actually a VERY sound defensive player who had intermittent flashes of brilliance. The other side claimed he was borderline useless and should be replaced with a stump.

I, to this day, still think Marcel Hossa was more valuable than most of the bottom six forwards this team has trotted out over the last ten years. I remember a lot of these older posters and its a shame most of them are no longer around.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I, to this day, still think Marcel Hossa was more valuable than most of the bottom six forwards this team has trotted out over the last ten years.
I still feel that a stump was more useful cannot understand what it is that Renney liked about him, MU.:)

Though it never got vehement like JR and I did about Purinton.

I also recall the days of arguing with Davisian and Melrose about the other side of a Bryan Marchment.
I remember a lot of these older posters and its a shame most of them are no longer around.
Yeah, Melrose, Fletch, Anerin, Laches, Davisian, Klingsor......all great debaters. There are many many others.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Mine was with True Blue and BigE (I think that was his handle) about the benefits of keeping Marcel Hossa in the lineup. I was a big proponent of keeping Hossa in the lineup as he was great in the shootout and actually a VERY sound defensive player who had intermittent flashes of brilliance. The other side claimed he was borderline useless and should be replaced with a stump.

I, to this day, still think Marcel Hossa was more valuable than most of the bottom six forwards this team has trotted out over the last ten years. I remember a lot of these older posters and its a shame most of them are no longer around.

That was indeed a good one. I was a relative newbie then (at least during Marcel's first year), but I participated in that debate on your side. (And still agree with you.)

Others I remember revolved around letting Zherdev walk for nothing where I was front and center against about three different posters (I think SoS may have been one) and ODC's defense of Lisin, where I backed him up against, well, the entire board. :)

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I still feel that a stump was more useful cannot understand what it is that Renney liked about him, MU.:)

Though it never got vehement like JR and I did about Purinton.

I also recall the days of arguing with Davisian and Melrose about the other side of a Bryan Marchment.

Yeah, Melrose, Fletch, Anerin, Laches, Davisian, Klingsor......all great debaters. There are many many others.

Great names from the past. Do any of them still pop in now and again? Klingsor maybe?

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
That was indeed a good one. I was a relative newbie then (at least during Marcel's first year), but I participated in that debate on your side. (And still agree with you.)

Others I remember revolved around letting Zherdev walk for nothing where I was front and center against about three different posters (I think SoS may have been one) and ODC's defense of Lisin, where I backed him up against, well, the entire board. :)

Yeah, I don't think I commented on Zherdev leaving. I might have but whatever.

I do remember calling you out when you called Staal a greedy pig for possibly holding out.....four months before training camp.....when he never held out.

I remember me and Jon taking on the whole board the day Stepan was drafted. iirc, people didn't like the pick because Stepan liked figure skating or ballet.

I think i've debated just about everybody on this board, at one time or another.

I went to war with TB back in the day. Those debates were fun and we talked out our differences in a series of great private messages.

Jesus, i've been in some debates that were really heated! One time JR and I went a whole week of debating if Michael Peca would be a good signing.

Remember Flyline calling Gaborik glassman, then the Rangers signed Gaborik and Flyline loved the signing. When people asked him wtf, he banned people from the thread! What he hell happened to that guy?

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I'm having a hard time remembering specifics but I've gotten into various debates involving Zherdev, Dubinsky and his holdout, whether it was a mistake to let Jagr walk in 2008, and of course, Glen Sather. Back when Kel Varnsen was a vehement Sather defender, I used to do battle with him, but he seems to have done a total 180 over the past year. And, of course, I've had some debates with ODC about Lisin, but who hasn't?

I used to lurk here long before my join date in 2009, and in addition to some of the former posters named above, ThirdEye and Squishy come to mind as some valuable contributors that no longer post here. The tide has certainly changed here.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Hahaha. SoS, I don't remember bashing Staal for potentially holding out. Maybe that was someone else? I generally don't hold contract negotiations against a player other than to say - as I am currently with Callahan - if he's asking too much, you move him for assets rather than let him walk for nothing/blow up your cap allocation to keep him.

Then again, that was a long time ago, so maybe I did in my hotheaded "youth" and I don't remember.

Now that I think back, I think our biggest fights may have been when I first joined the board and I was pushing to play many of the "yutes" coming out of the first lockout. Or is my memory failing me yet again?

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
I laughed even typing this but remember our favorite poster who thought Lundqvist sucked and that he should be replaced by Montoya? I cant remember his name but I think he was from Norway. One of my all time favorite debates just because it was so absurd and he was so vehement about Lundqvist being a lesser Montoya. Classic. :laugh:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Then again, that was a long time ago, so maybe I did in my hotheaded "youth" and I don't remember.
We all had those days. All except Anerin and Dedalus.

I remember when you joined and we had to differentiate between you and Brook. She may have predated all of us here. PLD goes back I think to the old Gameday boards.

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
Haven't been around for that long, but I've seen people mentioning there was a thread saying Petr Prucha was better than Crosby?

NGgator60

Dec 2, 2013
New York
I was yet a teenager for many of these former threads but of what I recall:
- The mismanagement of Manny Malhotra
- The Lindros trade
- Pavel Brendl scarfing down hot dogs
- 9/11 thread (terrific community effort to account for members' safety)
- Pasha trades
- Bryan Trottier's 50 page memo
- The value of Al Montoya
- Bobby Holik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad