Line Combos: With Matthews+Nylander back, What does the roster look like?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I do, but it seems you struggle to understand pro coaching sometimes, from your past posts.

It seems you struggle to understand that fans do not have to accept everything that their teams do. we don't all have to drink the koolaid; if you wanna good for you

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
It seems you struggle to understand that fans do not have to accept everything that their teams do. we don't all have to drink the koolaid; if you wanna good for you

I was just explaining coaching, I didn't think you understand how the thing works ... fight the power! ... cheers Wizard :)

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
Marleau seemed lost on the Matthews line, I think Johnsson may take that spot from him.

Yeah Marleau has looked awful with Matthews. But I just don’t see Babs putting AJ on that first line. AJ had two points two games ago with Matthews and Kapanen but Babs for some odd reason switched him with Marleau for the Wild game.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I have coached hockey actually, you should try it, it's exciting and challenging.

so have I; its not rocket science; there is not one objective method to coaching.

if you had coached then you would have known it; unless you are so smug that your way of doing is the only right way of doing things without any adaptation; evolution in one's thinking and accepting of new things

then LOL

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
so have I; it is not rocket science; there is not one objective method to coaching.

if you had coached then you would have known it; unless you are so smug that your way of doing is the only right way of doing things without any adaptation; evolution in one's thinking and accepting of new things

then LOL

Wizard, have a good one, cheers

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Leivo-Lindholm-Brown
Ennis/Gauthier

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Ozhiganov
Marincin

Andersen-Sparks

Seems pretty sraight forward to me...

I’d like to see Marleau continue on a line with Kappy and Kadri. It’s worked well in Matthews absence, I don’t see reason to switch it. He seems to fit better on it and gives Kappy a player who can keep up with his speed. And gives us a third line of speed and offensive bunch, which is wicked dangerous.

Have Johnson with Matthews and Nylander filling Hyman’s role on that line from last year.

And honestly, I know Brown won’t sit, but I’d like Leivo in over him right now. Even for a game. Get him going a bit more.

And ffs I want Hainsey off that top pairing. He’s been nothing short of awful on it.

And I don’t particualrly love Oz on this team right now. But I’ll settle for Hainsey being moved off the top pairing before I start my crusade on having Oz our for Holl.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think Babs will start with Marleau-Matthews-Willie and see how that goes for a game or two. It might be his ego to want to see how that works since he planned it for months. If that doesn’t work, then I can see AJ moving into Marleau’s slot(if AJ continues to play well) and allow Marleau to play with Kadri and Kap.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
What I’d like to see

Kappy-Matthews-Willy
Marleau-JT-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Hyman
Leivo-Lindholm-Brown
Ennis/Goat

PP1
Matthews-Tavares-Marner-Leivo (Kadri spot)-Rielly

PP2
Nylander-Kadri-Kapanen-Marleau-Gardiner

But Babs gonna Babs

I know everyone loves the idea of Kappy being on the Matthews line, but it really doesn’t make a ton of sense given he’s have to shift to his off wing. That’s a big change.

Marleau-Kadri-Kappy has worked well, why break it up?

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
in Fairy Tale Land

Nylander - Matthews - Kapanen

Hyman - Tavares - Marner

Marleau - Kadri - Brown

Johnsson - Lindholm - Leivo

Reality is

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander

Hyman - Tavares - Marner

Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen

Ennis - Lindholm - Brown

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I know everyone loves the idea of Kappy being on the Matthews line, but it really doesn’t make a ton of sense given he’s have to shift to his off wing. That’s a big change.

Marleau-Kadri-Kappy has worked well, why break it up?

I think Kappy played his entire career at LW including in the marlies; Babs made him switch to RW

if I am mistaken someone correct me

Marleau-Kadri-Kappy sounds good to me too

but I don't want
Brown-Matthews-Nylander to be a line though :laugh:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Would like:

Leivo - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Hyman - Lindholm - Brown
Ennis, Goat

Think we'll eventually get:

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Ennis - Lindholm - Brown
Leivo, Goat

We might see Babcock trying to force Brown into the top nine however.

Reactions: Not My Tempo

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Who do you want to go after?

That is what I was going to ask in my reply. I was thinking Muzzin or Martinez because Kings should be sellers but I am not sure what kind of year each is having. Of course there is always Tanev in Vancouver ;-)

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Throw him on third line to get kadri going.

Marleau. Tavares. Marner
Hyman. Matthews. Kapanen
Johnsson. Kadri. Nylander
Ennis. Lindholm .brown

I prefer leivo but babs hates joshy

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
That is what I was going to ask in my reply. I was thinking Muzzin or Martinez because Kings should be sellers but I am not sure what kind of year each is having. Of course there is always Tanev in Vancouver ;-)

I personally think Martinez would be perfect as he can play RD, is a good partner for rielly and is on a good contract for this year and two years after. My only concern would be that the trade would likely require players off our roster, which definitely doesnt help us. I think its better as an offseason move. Maybe Something at the draft like 2019 1st+Brown+Small add.

Maybe Something In season like 1st+Brown+Hainsey(who they could deal at the deadline for something). But i think that somewhat guts our forward depth.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I personally think Martinez would be perfect as he can play RD, is a good partner for rielly and is on a good contract for this year and two years after. My only concern would be that the trade would likely require players off our roster, which definitely doesnt help us. I think its better as an offseason move. Maybe Something at the draft like 2019 1st+Brown+Small add.

Maybe Something In season like 1st+Brown+Hainsey(who they could deal at the deadline for something). But i think that somewhat guts our forward depth.

If we look strictly for a rental, I see Edler (L), JayBo (L), Kronwall (L), McQuaid (R), LoveJoy (R), Rutta (R), Petrovic (R), Polak (R - Nooooo) as potentials.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
What I think:
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis/Leivo-Lindholm-Brown

Babs rotates Ennis/Leivo

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Would like:
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Leivo-Lindholm-Brown/Ennis

Pessimistically, I think we keep Brown on Kadri's wing and Marleau on Matthews'.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
This is what I would run.

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Ennis - Lindholm - Leivo/Brown

Leivo/Brown/Ennis all interchangeable. As of today I would make Brown the scratch. The other two are showing more.

This gives each of the top 3 centres some real wingers. Marleau and Kadri seem to work better together than Marleau and Matthews do.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I think the Babcockian strategy will have Marleau and Hyman to start as top 6 ...
Hyman will be with Tavares/Marner because Matthews doesn't want him on his wing.
So,Marleau with M and N.
That should leave kap and Johnsson with kadri...
And Leiv0/Ennis with Lindholm and brown........

Not what I want..but that's what I think babcock will do.

In the event of an obvious lack of production perhaps he will eventually get Marleau off that line.
Nothing will ever get Hyman off the top 6 though.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
in Fairy Tale Land

Nylander - Matthews - Kapanen

Hyman - Tavares - Marner

Marleau - Kadri - Brown

Johnsson - Lindholm - Leivo

Reality is

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander

Hyman - Tavares - Marner

Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen

Ennis - Lindholm - Brown

You gotta admit, reality is not ultimately much different then fairy tale land nowadays in leaf land and that is amazing!:nod:

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Ennis used to also play C - wonder if that's an option although I like Lindholm.

Johnsson (could swap w/ Kapanen) - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Leivo - Ennis - Brown
Lindholm

Rielly Gardiner
Dermott Zaitsev
Hainsey Ozhiganov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad