Line Combos: With Matthews+Nylander back, What does the roster look like?

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I have never been a fan of Hyman being on the same line as Marner. Marner's a thoroughbred passer and IMO needs to play with two scoring threats.

I would like to see Hyman on Kadri's line - Kadri gets most of his ES points from working the corners and the boards, so I think the two might work together. You would need some scoring ability on the other wing though, because you can't expect Kadri to produce with Hyman and Brown as his wingers, for example.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I have never been a fan of Hyman being on the same line as Marner. Marner's a thoroughbred passer and IMO needs to play with two scoring threats.

I would like to see Hyman on Kadri's line - Kadri gets most of his ES points from working the corners and the boards, so I think the two might work together. You would need some scoring ability on the other wing though, because you can't expect Kadri to produce with Hyman and Brown as his wingers, for example.
That's why I'm kind of hoping that Kap can be that scoring presence with Marleau and Kadri on the 3rd line. That's a part of the spreading out the scoring idea when you have 2 elite talents on each of your first 2 lines.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's worth noting that niether Ennis and Leivo have done anything to deserve sitting in the press box. If it was up to me, I would rotate them on the 4th line depending on the matchup. Leivo provides more grit and Ennis provides more speed. Both can chip in offensively.

Reactions: Smif and Intact

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
That's why I'm kind of hoping that Kap can be that scoring presence with Marleau and Kadri on the 3rd line. That's a part of the spreading out the scoring idea when you have 2 elite talents on each of your first 2 lines.

Oh I like the idea of spreading out the scoring, it's just that I personally would prefer to find a combination where Hyman isn't out there with Marner.

Reactions: The Cobra

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Oh I like the idea of spreading out the scoring, it's just that I personally would prefer to find a combination where Hyman isn't out there with Marner.
We've seen Hyman work with Matthews and Nylander, maybe they revert back to some older lines and put Johnsson with Tavares and Marner.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Leivo-Lindholm-Brown

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Goat has been the least effective of the forwards, but you don't waive a center. He is needed in case of injury.

Ennis has played too well and brings unlikely offense from the 4th line. Leivi has done well in his limited roll. The leafs aren't actually super deep at forward, and you should have at least two serviceable NHL ready players who are able to step in.

Marincin for some reason has a soft spot in Babcock's mind. He did play well for the marlies last year. Given Rosen and Borgman are on the Marlies . Think its Toll who gets waived

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
JohnssonMatthewsNylander
MarleauTavaresMarner
HymanKadriKapanen
LeivoLindholmBrown
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Leivo and Ennis rotate as the extra.

Reactions: leuf

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Johnsson Matthews Nylander
Hyman Tavares Marner
Marleau Kadri Kapanen
Ennis Lindholm Brown
Grundstrom Gauthier Leivo

MUUUUAAAHAHAHAHAHA

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
after watching the distinct lack of chemistry with Patty Marleau

this;

Kapanen - Matty - Nylander

Hyman - Tarzan - Mitch

Marleau - Dream - Brown(for now)

Johnsson - Lindholm - Leivo

Ennis Goat

Reactions: Koolboss

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Kapanen Matthews Kapanen
Hyman Tavares Marner
Marleau Kadri Brown
Johnsson Lindholm Leivo
Ennis/Gauthier

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Ozhiganov
Holl

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Kapanen Matthews Kapanen
Hyman Tavares Marner
Marleau Kadri Brown
Johnsson Lindholm Leivo
Ennis/Gauthier

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Ozhiganov
Holl

We've cloned Kapanen :naughty:

Just kidding I know you mean Nylander there

Anyway my lineup would be as follows

Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnsson Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Kapanen
Leivo Lindholm Brown

-Marleau works much better with Kadri than Matthews.
-I worry that Kadri/Marleau might need more of a offensive spark than Brown can provide so I put Kapanen back with them.
-As for the LW spot with Matthews/Nylander I'd be open to trying anyone of Johnsson Leivo Brown even Ennis there. Just see who works best.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Babs has also played the hell out on Ron Hainsey for several years on his wrong side. I don't completely buy into Babs obsession with proper handedness with his dmen. Or maybe Hainsey is his exception, who knows. Babcock falls in love with certain players and I think it's his weakness as a coach. Hainsey shouldn't be on the top pairing and Hyman shouldn't be in the top 6.

I think Hainsey is there because he has no other choice, I probably should clarify myself, if he has another option he loves to put guys on there strong side

That's why I think he'd prefer Holl as a replacement on the right in case of injury, as I write that though he does seem to be awfully reticent about using him

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Marne is doing just fine with hyman there though? 38 points in 27 games. Hyman most likely is limiting him a bit (crazy I know) put a scorer there and marner gets more points and more $$$. After marner is paid then f*** hyman off imo

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
I think Kapanen will play on Kadri's right wing. That way you spread out the offence and you have three lines that are a threat.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00