With how stacked next year's draft is...do we tank for one more year or try to make the playoffs?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
That it’s really easy to say we don’t compare to Edmonton when we can see what ended up happening there, but the truth is that we might have the same problems. And we might not.
We’re not Edmonton or Buffalo because mgmt’s philosophy is the complete opposite of what people are suggesting in here.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I feel like in the philosophical grand scheme that anything and everything is possible in the universe, we could indeed become Edmonton.

Would I consider that a blip on the radar of my concerns? No, not really.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
It has become clear that a lot of folks don't understand what tanking is and that they don't understand why it would no longer work with today's lottery rules.
Do the teams at the bottom not get a better chance at getting a better pick? I didn't see anyone after a 100% chance at Lafreniere.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
It has become clear that a lot of folks don't understand what tanking is and that they don't understand why it would no longer work with today's lottery rules.

the lottery only effects the top 3 picks. you can guarantee yourself a top 10 pick and a shot at one of the top guys without winning the lottery

also I was told the same thing last year and Kakko says hi

Reactions: Kupo and jas

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Do the teams at the bottom not get a better chance at getting a better pick? I didn't see anyone after a 100% chance at Lafreniere.

If you tank (which means that management virtually strips the team, because coaches and players will NEVER tank), what do you guarantee?

The Rangers and Jersey got lucky getting the first two picks. The others in the lottery got punched in the face, or at the very least probably didn't strike oil. How many of the other players taken in the next grouping would have been worth tanking for? Maybe Byram?

If you try and sabotage a season is Turcotte or Dach worth it? Very doubtful. Will they definitely be better than the guys taken after them? No one knows. Some of the other teams that picked in the next 10 will have accomplished nothing positive for their franchise. Only a franchise-level player might make it worth it to tank a franchise.

It's pretty easy to peg guys like Hughes and Kaako, but determining who will star among the next 15 players is pretty much a crapshoot.

Being terrible worked for Pitt and Chi, but there wasn't the same way of determining who gets what pick.

What Rangers management is attempting to is absolutely the right way to do it. Accumulate draft picks and use them to get players or more picks. I don't remember them ever developing a team this way.

They are also smart enough to know that you don't even consider tanking a season before it starts. You react to what you see over the first few months. Assess the assets on the team and in the pipeline and then act accordingly.

Calling for them to tank in July, to me, is absolutely idiotic.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
the lottery only effects the top 3 picks. you can guarantee yourself a top 10 pick and a shot at one of the top guys without winning the lottery

also I was told the same thing last year and Kakko says hi

Hi Kakko.

The odds that we would get him were low.

Management understood their situation and reacted the right way, but it was still luck that netted Kakko.

This doesn't change the fact that you don't figure out an overall team strategy in July. You can't know what to do until you see what you have. Calling to sabotage a team before the season would have been a really great strategy this season.

Oh, St. Louis says hi.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
If you tank (which means that management virtually strips the team, because coaches and players will NEVER tank), what do you guarantee?

The Rangers and Jersey got lucky getting the first two picks. The others in the lottery got punched in the face, or at the very least probably didn't strike oil. How many of the other players taken in the next grouping would have been worth tanking for? Maybe Byram?

If you try and sabotage a season is Turcotte or Dach worth it? Very doubtful. Will they definitely be better than the guys taken after them? No one knows. Some of the other teams that picked in the next 10 will have accomplished nothing positive for their franchise. Only a franchise-level player might make it worth it to tank a franchise.

It's pretty easy to peg guys like Hughes and Kaako, but determining who will star among the next 15 players is pretty much a crapshoot.

Being terrible worked for Pitt and Chi, but there wasn't the same way of determining who gets what pick.

What Rangers management is attempting to is absolutely the right way to do it. Accumulate draft picks and use them to get players or more picks. I don't remember them ever developing a team this way.

They are also smart enough to know that you don't even consider tanking a season before it starts. You react to what you see over the first few months. Assess the assets on the team and in the pipeline and then act accordingly.

Calling for them to tank in July, to me, is absolutely idiotic.
Finishing last guarantees a top 4 pick. Finishing second last guarantees a top 5 pick. Etc.

In a year which looks to have a very strong top 5, that's not nothing. I personally don't think that purposefully bottoming out is worth it. But the rewards of it are clear.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
This is a fringe playoff team IMO

We have a lot of talent being infused. Playing in meaningful games and winning the lottery with the 13-15th spot would be nice.

Reactions: Leetch3

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Edge mentioned this on Steve and Greg’s podcast
(Which everyone should listen to as a basis for where the rangers stood heading into the draft and 3 weeks out from free agency)

The worst case scenario is that the rangers sign panarin, and him and Mika have career years and carry the rangers to a bubble spot, but it’s maski g the fact the kids had a rough year

Otherwise it’s a win-win year for the rangers. THe kids either excel and propel us into the playoffs or we’ll be somewhere in the 8-14 range with a lotto ticket.

No tanking though. Play to win every game. Don’t force feed trades or signings, but if it’s the right deal/trade, make it now

Don’t intentionally underman your roster for a lower finish In the standings.

That’s bush league
I may be misunderstanding but I don't think passing on Panarin is under-manning the roster. In fact I'm pretty sure that's not what you mean but figure I'd clarify.
Also, I like the phrase: Pass on Panarin.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Finishing last guarantees a top 4 pick. Finishing second last guarantees a top 5 pick. Etc.

In a year which looks to have a very strong top 5, that's not nothing. I personally don't think that purposefully bottoming out is worth it. But the rewards of it are clear.

So, a strategy where management tanks a season before it begins makes sense to you?

Maybe if you have a very old and declining roster. That's not the current situation for the Rangers.

You really want to tank? Trade Zibanejad, Kreider, and Skjel for draft picks.

Dumping guys like Namestnikov, Strome, and Vesey isn't tanking.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Tank 1 more year. Get another top-10 pick.

I think that’s a good idea.

This week will tell a lot IMO. It would not surprise me if Kreider, Vessy, Shatty, etc are still in the lineup come October and/or moved at the trading deadline.

Let’s be honest, the team is two years from being loaded with kids and really moving on with Shatty, Kreider, Lundqvist, Smith and Staal out of here.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Why is tanking not a thing? Worst regular season team is guaranteed the 4th overall. That Elias Pettersson couple of years ago.

It's definitely nice for the upcoming draft with a loaded top 10.

Last edited:

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Why is taking not a thing? Worst regular season team is guaranteed the 4th overall. That Elias Pettersson couple of years ago.

It's definitely nice for the upcoming draft with a loaded top 10.

I thought he went later than that.

The reality is that this team will not be tanking. Whether they earn a top top pick will remain to be seen. That said, it might be the best thing for the franchise long term as one more strong draft could really solidify an already promising core.

NYRFANMANI

Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Yeah he did go at 5, so what? He was there at 4 and the team that actively would have tanked, would have gotten the 4th overall at least and would've had a shot at drafting BPA in that draft.

I hope - in this godforsaken short term world - that we do it long term. One more year of full on rebuild/tank. Having 3 elite forward talents should do the trick. (Kappo, Kravtsov, 2020 1st rounder)

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Yeah he did go at 5, so what? He was there at 4 and the team that actively would have tanked, would have gotten the 4th overall at least and would've had a shot at drafting BPA in that draft.

I hope - in this godforsaken short term world - that we do it long term. One more year of full on rebuild/tank. Having 3 elite forward talents should do the trick. (Kappo, Kravtsov, 2020 1st rounder)

My point is we already know that the team will not be tanking. They've essentially told us that. However, that doesn't mean they'll be a good team. So we could definitely end up with a top 10 pick, and I'll be fine with that and hopefully another 1st rounder for Kreider. That will set us up very nicely going forward.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
When was that? But fine, I guess. They won't tank but they'll be bad and thus ... tank.

They won meaningless games at the end of the season that actually hurt their draft position. They didn't give their best players nights off. Those are the exact things you don't do if you are tanking. Quinn said he knew fans were upset about it, but that they believed in playing the right way. Funny thing is if we don't earn one of those points the last day of the season we are talking about our new 1st round pick Zegras or Cozens....not Kakko.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Fine, we're not tanking and should end up 7-10th last. Let the chips fall where they may. I just really want Byfield :cry:

I think there's a good chance we end up in that range. Maybe the lottery Gods smile upon us twice in a row...heck, they did for the Devil.

NYRFANMANI

Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I think there's a good chance we end up in that range. Maybe the lottery Gods smile upon us twice in a row...heck, they did for the Devil.

I'm so happy the Debbies picked 1st overall twice in 3 years and picked two Justin Bieber looking midget centers, f***'em.

Sure hope so too, that we end up top three again. I suppose we'll still get a monster centerman even if Byfield is off the boards.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I'm so happy the Debbies picked 1st overall twice in 3 years and picked two Justin Bieber looking midget centers, ****'em.

Sure hope so too, that we end up top three again. I suppose we'll still get a monster centerman even if Byfield is off the boards.

I don't know much about Byfield but I really do want a top C prospect to complete the rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad