With how stacked next year's draft is...do we tank for one more year or try to make the playoffs?

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
There is simply no way to predict what the future may bring. We can do everything right (scout, draft, develop, top coaching and management, etc) and it all can turn out for naught. For sure, sometime in the next decade some team that did everything wrong, will win the Cup. Some team, hopefully not us, that appeared to write the textbook on how to build a franchise, will be totally derailed by injuries, disappointing development that can be laid at the feet of individual players, and circumstances beyond the teams control. It is wonderful to feel optimistic about the future of the team, I most certainly do. But you just never know. We could be Edmonton. We could be Buffalo. We also can be Chicago or the Pens.

We seem to be doing everything right, including having a top 2 pick in a year when perhaps two franchise players are available. That is total happenstance. We could have ended up with a top pick when no such player was there. The future of this team may have been writ by ping pong balls bouncing right. A sobering thought.

I don't know what this season will bring even w/o considering what may happen with Panarin or Kreider. A young, talented team may come very fast. Or we may wallow at the bottom again. Who knows? I don't. I don't have anyway of predicting.

But I must say this. Some of you seem to be saying that everyone of our players, including the youngest, will turn 30 during the decade of the 2020s. Might as well trade them all now for future draft picks. Think of how good we would be in the late 2020? An exaggeration, certainly. But that is how it sometimes seems. No tanking this year. Play the kids. Let some develop in the AHL. Try to win every game. Let the chips fall where they may.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Ok...we are in agreement here...unless I’m missing something in the translation.

I was told tho by another poster that my expectations for the #2 overall pick in the draft Kakko to have a Calder winner type of season was way to high and “absurd”. Where did it say Rangers needed to be a playoff team for that to occur?

My bad

Reactions: Maximus

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I'm not worried about "loser mentality," so much, but I am worried that if we thrust all the weight on the kids' shoulders, it could hurt, hinder or ruin their development.

Which is why I'm pro Panarin. Give me a Panarin-Zibanejad first line to do the heavy lifting, the kids then don't have all the pressure. But I still don't think we are good enough that we are out of the lottery. We still have assets to move up for a top center if we want.

No Panarin? Obviously worse, but still maybe finish 8th, 10th. No where close to getting Byfield without lottery luck.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Edge mentioned this on Steve and Greg’s podcast
(Which everyone should listen to as a basis for where the rangers stood heading into the draft and 3 weeks out from free agency)

The worst case scenario is that the rangers sign panarin, and him and Mika have career years and carry the rangers to a bubble spot, but it’s maski g the fact the kids had a rough year

Otherwise it’s a win-win year for the rangers. THe kids either excel and propel us into the playoffs or we’ll be somewhere in the 8-14 range with a lotto ticket.

No tanking though. Play to win every game. Don’t force feed trades or signings, but if it’s the right deal/trade, make it now

Don’t intentionally underman your roster for a lower finish In the standings.

That’s bush league

Last edited:

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
In 12 months we've managed to assemble more promising depth than Edmonton has assembled in a decade.

We've also managed to trade players that organization has lacked, acquire players that they couldn't, and visit with a free agent who wouldn't give them the time of day.

There's an awful lot that would have to fall of a cliff for us to be in the category, no matter how many times a percentage of this board closes its eyes, sticks its fingers in its ears, and yells, "Nah, nah, nah. Can't hear you."

Yes.
1000%.

When it comes to turning a positive into a negative nothing beats our fan base for neurosis.

I'm tempted to fall into the trap of seeing this as a tragedy. Instead, I'll view it as a comedy.

You guys watch. Some of these same folks will be complaining shortly after we win a Cup.

Bank on it.

Reactions: Maximus

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yes.
1000%.

When it comes to turning a positive into a negative nothing beats our fan base for neurosis.

I'm tempted to fall into the trap of seeing this as a tragedy. Instead, I'll view it as a comedy.

You guys watch. Some of these same folks will be complaining shortly after we win a Cup.

Bank on it.

I’m in no way negative about this.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Yes.
1000%.

Bank on it.

Of course they will complain about winning the cup.

People still wish we had f***ing Doug Weight playing.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
That it’s really easy to say we don’t compare to Edmonton when we can see what ended up happening there, but the truth is that we might have the same problems. And we might not.

You can say many takes are 20/20, but I agree with Edge here (as I do on most things, Lol), it's apples and oranges between us and the Oil.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I take as one of my leading positive indicators....

Please, Chosen don't take offense :)

.... you're cautious optimism. If I can characterize it as such.

BTW do you still have that poster of the "Crawling Eye" on your wall?

I'm referring to a discussion we had years ago about the movies we loved as kids.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
Say it is as stacked as you say then isn't that a year to compete? Stacked drafts you usually find the gems from 12-22 in the draft if it is what you say and if we truly are trading kreider vesey

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I got you.

Not referencing you bro.

I mean, you were quoting an Edge response to me... so I thought you might be.

You can say many takes are 20/20, but I agree with Edge here (as I do on most things, Lol), it's apples and oranges between us and the Oil.

I really don't think it is at this stage of the game, because at this stage the future was pretty bright for Edmonton. That being said, I'm optimistic about the future of this team. I believe it will go better than the Oilers, I just don't know it... if that makes any sense.

Reactions: Greg02

Watcher450

Apr 15, 2019
Tanking doesn't guarantee top 3 picks. Just look at how NYR and Devils jumped to top 2 picks. Meanwhile, I support to allow kids play, learn and grow.
This team's C depth is terrible. Just that I don't think they make playoff. Basically don't push high prize FA now, draft more good players. We can sign a few FA with good attitude that can show kids the right way to win.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I take as one of my leading positive indicators....

Please, Chosen don't take offense :)

.... you're cautious optimism. If I can characterize it as such.

BTW do you still have that poster of the "Crawling Eye" on your wall?

I'm referring to a discussion we had years ago about the movies we loved as kids.
Eye.jpg

Just said hello to it for you, and I am cautiously optimistic for the first time in years.

Reactions: egelband and Pizza

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I mean, you were quoting an Edge response to me... so I thought you might be.

I really don't think it is at this stage of the game, because at this stage the future was pretty bright for Edmonton. That being said, I'm optimistic about the future of this team. I believe it will go better than the Oilers, I just don't know it... if that makes any sense.

It was more about what Edge was saying about the differences between us, the Oil and the Sabres. Very different situations. Which I agree with.

I don't lump you in with some of the posters here who always seem to think the sky is falling...and right now especially it most certainly is not. I get being somewhat skeptical given mistakes that have been made in the past which you might be taking into account. That's reasonable in my view. I take a more positive view.

I was much more negative in the aftermath of our defeat against Ottowa two years ago. That was pretty bleak watching that window close and it was plain that we needed a severe course correction.

To the Brain Trusts credit I think what they've done since then is pretty impressive:

- put a plan in place and execute
- rebuild the prospect pipeline
- add Elite talent to the depth chart
- upgrade the everyday roster significantly
- manage change and retool the Brain Trust
- leave Gorton the hell alone to do his thing

Now they need to avoid making poor FA signings and rebuild our feeder system via the AHL.

Reactions: Tawnos

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If thing go very well for the prospects, just as the Leafs have found,

Panarin at 11-12M = Kakko at 11-12M in three years = 11-12M for Kravtsov in three years.

Should Chytil/Howden/etc hit anywhere near the Nylander level in two years add him too the Nylander ask.

Trouba at 8M also will be the precedent for any prospects who puts themselves on or above his level at the time of their extension.

They are not going to turn into Buffalo or Edmonton, they'd be turning into the Rangers/Leafs.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
That it’s really easy to say we don’t compare to Edmonton when we can see what ended up happening there, but the truth is that we might have the same problems. And we might not.
Not only is it easy to say it, but it's completely logical and makes a ton of sense that we don't compare to Edmonton.

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
How is this even a reasonable question a mature follower could consider? One COULD entertain whether to attempt to speed the process with talent acquisitions, or conversely whether the time is not yet ripe.

But you play the roster you make with complete integrity and instill the same in the entire team, including all the youngsters learning how a professional in the NHL behaves. End of story. ALWAYS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad