Transfer: Winter Transfer Thread Part III - Ronaldout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I sure hope Spurs didn't put all their chips on Diaz. I'll be frustrated if the club was ready to spend such an amount, to ultimately not spend the money at all this window. It's a perfect time to invest in the squad and make their way back into the CL.

No rush in my opinion. We need the right players for the right price. Very few players have an immediate impact. And even if Diaz outperforms the likes of Lucas and Bergwijn longer-term - it isn't obvious that he would from day one. Both Bergwijn and Lucas are good examples of players needing time to adjust. Son also a completely different player after his first season.

Money not spent now will be available in the summer.

I am more worried that we are chasing players that will "upgrade" Lucas and Bergwijn rather than looking at full backs (longer term Gil is also there - Diaz would move him further down the pecking order - not sure how would ever develop him if he never gets to play), central defenders and central midfield players (even if we might get one in at CM).

We also need to sell. In so many windows we go in with a squad that is too big - which clearly makes it more difficult to buy. Liverpool as an example aren't just better than us on the pitch - they are also a lot more intelligent off. They can more easily jump on opportunities like this than we can.

I agree with your next post. To me it would make much more sense to buy from Lyon rather than Porto. Much bigger need.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't mind Morata on a loan - as long as there is no option to buy, but not sure why Morata would find that very interesting.

Signing Morata permanently would be such a disappointment.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
How many matches of his did you watch? The two I did, he scored. I’m not sure he’s a world beater, but he looks pretty good for this floated price

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
From my viewings Luis Diaz has good ballstriking and can carry the ball well over long distances. However, he lacks intelligent movement off the ball, and makes really weird shot selections. Tries to be a the hero too much. He doesn’t look up when dribbling and is kind of a one dimensional player. I do question his footballing brain.

He would be a risky signing for a club like Spurs and probably could flop there. It will work out for Liverpool though, of course, they have Klopp. I guess Coutinho can be an example. Coutinho was a much bigger talent but his limitations related to movement and shot selection left a lot for the coach to do, hence the comparison.

This is all based on limited viewings of Diaz.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I don't know anything about Diaz but see that he's scoring approximately once every 105 minutes he plays this season.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I also think it's fair to say that with Liverpool's track record of signing players in this range and type, he likely has the potential to be the goods.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Spurs don't. So not sure if it is a good sign us being interested :laugh:

I take the point from several Pool-fans here. That Diaz might take over for Mane - or with Jota playing centrally there is room for another winger. He at least makes more sense for Liverpool than Spurs. Spurs got a lot of weaknesses in the squad, but we got so many who can play behind Kane. The quality might be questionable for some of them, but you can't just keep on loading up players in a position you got so many already. One thing is if you are City, but Spurs got to spend their money wisely.

Honestly rather laughable to bring in Gil for a fairly decent fee - and then some months later you decide to bring in what would have been one of the clubs most expensive signings ever in his position. Even more so with Bergwijn actually finally starting to look like a player. And Conte seems to really like Lucas.

Week after week I'm watching players like Emerson and Doherty on the RWB. Doherty of all people currently being the lesser evil. We have a central midfield with currently basically zero depth. If Conte starts Skipp, Højbjerg and Winks there is no-one on the bench Conte actually rates. Could go on basically for every position before we got to the area we are in least need of new players - the role Diaz would play. Diaz would almost have to be the next Salah for it to be worthwhile for Spurs. And Diaz might be the next Salah, but Spurs are not in position to make that gamble. Liverpool are.

I just find it baffling that we are even interested.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I’m sorry what? Lmao
Messi is his own category.

It was early and I didn’t feel like typing out Diaz was top scorer, team of the tournament , “revelation of the tournament” (whatever that means), and is the best Colombia player.

Better?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Messi is his own category.

It was early and I didn’t feel like typing out Diaz was top scorer, team of the tournament , “revelation of the tournament” (whatever that means), and is the best Colombia player.

Better?
I mean, clearly he was some mug in the tournament,

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Clearly Paratici and Conte are looking at this differently than me - another player in a role we don't need a player in.

I'm perfectly fine taking a punt at Kulusevski if we for whatever reason are desperate for a player in that role. I think he has solid potential. Not sure what kind of fees they would be talking about?

Absolutely hate the idea of loaning out Gil. Would be such an %""&% move by the club. Gil is soon 21 with quite a lot of experience from La Liga. He isn't someone that is lacking first team experience. He needs to play for Spurs. Young players are an investment.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
From my viewings Luis Diaz has good ballstriking and can carry the ball well over long distances. However, he lacks intelligent movement off the ball, and makes really weird shot selections. Tries to be a the hero too much. He doesn’t look up when dribbling and is kind of a one dimensional player. I do question his footballing brain.

He would be a risky signing for a club like Spurs and probably could flop there. It will work out for Liverpool though, of course, they have Klopp. I guess Coutinho can be an example. Coutinho was a much bigger talent but his limitations related to movement and shot selection left a lot for the coach to do, hence the comparison.

This is all based on limited viewings of Diaz.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Lucas-role would be perfect for Kulusevski.

Not that they are the same, but Kulusevski should be a better fit for Kane and Son than Lucas.

Not sure how Paratici/Conte are thinking.

Kane / Bergwijn
Son / Gil
Lucas / Kulusevski

Impossible for all of them to get enough game time. And we don't really need one more good, but not very good player. Bergwijn and Gil might develop into very good players, but then they need to play.

Really hope we are not selling Bergwijn to be replaced by Kulusevski. Bergwijn actually looks a player these days. He should at least get the second half of the season to fail (unless there are personal reasons behind him wanting to leave - by the way he plays and behaves it certainly doesn't look like that is an issue).

At least Kulusevski should be cheaper than Diaz. So in that sense it makes more sense, but I hope it doesn't happen.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Are you saying that because he is a second generation immigrant or what?

No. In interviews he seems like a guy who has no clue about anything. You probably have to understand swedish to be able to see it. Isak is quite the opposite. Very well articulated.

Reactions: Havre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad