Blue Jays Discussion: Alright, no more discontent. Just baseball | ST in Mtl: StL @ Tor | Mar 26/27 7pm ET/4pm PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Guys I like that I project to maybe be available when the Jays pick:

1.) Travis Swaggerty
2.) Casey Mize

Mize is a Top 3-5 pick as of today with legitimate chance of going #1 overall. Apart from injury (which is his only real question mark) there is virtually no chance he is available at #12.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
Mize is a Top 3-5 pick as of today with legitimate chance of going #1 overall. Apart from injury (which is his only real question mark) there is virtually no chance he is available at #12.
I agree that Mize is very unlikely to be available for the Jays at 12, especially with reports his Splitter being a future 70 grade pitch and the recent no-hitter he just threw. The injury concern is real though and that could scare some teams away. Plus one of the recent prospect articles from Eric Longenhagen on fangraphs stated “he has top 10 pick momentum now” which suggests he isn’t a guaranteed top 10 guy (although he’s making it harder and harder to suggest otherwise).

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
It's never that simple, is it? Teams disappoint, teams surprise. It almost never works like it theoretically should in March. I hope one of Red Sox or Yankees fall flat on their faces.

I agree it never is. But the Twins "surprise" was 85 wins... which is still a huge fall from the average 89-90 wins it took in years past. Unless a non Yankee, Astros, Red Sox and Indian team has a Judge like prospect waiting in the wings on either the pitching or hitting side (maybe Ohtani and Vladdy fit that bill then again Judge was never seen as an MVP candidate so it could be anyone) then i dont see the 2nd wildcard team needing more than 83-84 wins to get in. Keep in mind it didnt take the Twins 85 wins to get in rather it took what the 6th place AL team had in wins +1 and last season all that was needed to get that 2nd wildcard spot was 81 wins. Looking at it from that perspective it took 91, 92, 88, 86, 87 and 81 wins to get into the the 2nd wildcard spot. 84 wins for that 2nd wildcard spot sounds very reasonable as it stands.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Keep in mind it didnt take the Twins 85 wins to get in rather it took what the 6th place AL team had in wins +1 and last season all that was needed to get that 2nd wildcard spot was 81 wins. Looking at it from that perspective it took 91, 92, 88, 86, 87 and 81 wins to get into the the 2nd wildcard spot. 84 wins for that 2nd wildcard spot sounds very reasonable as it stands.

I'm going to have to disagree with that logic since in those instances you're throwing a team we'd have to beat out of the equation. If we had 81 wins last year (or 82,83,84 wins) we would have still missed the playoffs.

Same thing applies to prior years, obviously.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I'm going to have to disagree with that logic since in those instances you're throwing a team we'd have to beat out of the equation. If we had 81 wins last year (or 82,83,84 wins) we would have still missed the playoffs.

Same thing applies to prior years, obviously.

Im speaking from the perspective of the teams that got in not the teams that didnt. All i am saying is the Twins didnt need 85 wins to get into the playoffs... they only needed 1 more than 6th place team which was 81.

Same would apply for this year's 2nd wild card winner... all they need for that playoff spot is 1 more win than the 6th place team. Not a certain amount (more than 84 wins) as suntouchable13 suggests.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Im speaking from the perspective of the teams that got in not the teams that didnt. All i am saying is the Twins didnt need 85 wins to get into the playoffs... they only needed 1 more than 6th place team which was 81.

Same would apply for this year's 2nd wild card winner... all they need for that playoff spot is 1 more win than the 6th place team. Not a certain amount (more than 84 wins) as suntouchable13 suggests.

Ok, but to get into the playoffs last year, a team would have to also beat the Twins in addition to those other teams that didn't qualify. Your argument completely dismisses the very existence of the 2nd wildcard winner in any given season...

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I've been following a bit, but its still a little early for me. I like HS OF Connor Scott who has shot up the board but I have a feeling that he ultimately wont even be available when we pick. Kiley McDaniel just labeled him as "Kyle Tucker with 70-grade speed and a little less power"; he goes to the same HS that Tucker came out of and he looks oddly similar to him. There are a lot of college bats jumbled in that range as well; I feel that CF Travis Swaggerty is a player that the Jays would like but he's probably a bit out of range for our pick as of now.

Both guys sound perfect for us. Hopefully one of them make it to our pick. We could use a high upside outfielder and both seem like they can stay in center field.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Anyone hear anything on Bucholtz lately? If he's looking ok post-surgery, he might be a nice add since any team he goes to will probably want him to start in the minors for a spell anyway.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I’ve been following the upcoming draft process a fair bit since January and can share this thread from another forum I participate in that has lots of info (somewhat fantasy baseball related but still helpful). I have compiled a Google doc that has 2017 and 2018 stats for the top college players:

2018 MLB Draft Prospects

and there’s lots of reports and tidbits throughout the thread on guys who could be available to the Jays with their first pick. Guys I like that I project to maybe be available when the Jays pick:

1.) Travis Swaggerty
2.) Casey Mize
3.) Alec Bohm
4.) Ryan Rolison
5.) Jerred Kelenic
6.) Kumar Rocker
7.) Cole Wilcox
8.) Connor Scott

Thx. My list would probably be

1) Swaggerty
2) Scott
3) Bohm
4) Larnach
5) Jenista

I found this link online:

MLB Draft: Positional Follow Lists (Center Fielders) - 2080 Baseball

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Cardinals have the prospects and we have the 3rd baseman that fills their needs, let the dealings begin.

They may spend whatever it takes ir it means beating the Cubs. Let’s hope they are in a battle with them at the trade deadline.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Mildly expected the comments section of ESPN's story on the Pannone suspension to be full of stupid derpy troll comments about the Jays and their sordid history with "lol confirmed" PED users like Bautista.

Was pleasantly surprised to see that it was actually empty.

Then I wondered why I expected anyone reading ESPN to pay attention to the Blue Jays to begin with if the story didn't also involve their favorite team. :laugh:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Ok, but to get into the playoffs last year, a team would have to also beat the Twins in addition to those other teams that didn't qualify. Your argument completely dismisses the very existence of the 2nd wildcard winner in any given season...

Yeah what you said is completely true. Im just saying what would have happened if the Twins won 81 games instead... would they have not still made the playoffs? 85 wins wasnt NEEDED to win the last wildcard spot for the Twins. Anything above 81 would have got the Twins in.

All im saying is that not you need x amount to get to the playoffs rather it is similar to first past the post system... just need 1 more win than the 6th place team to get into the playoffs.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Not a good day for Jays prospects... Alford, Maese and Pannone.

That Altuve deal is ridiculous. Astros will regret it... they have a lot more players to re-sign very soon.

Well we know what Donaldson will be asking regarding AAV... i still can't see him garnering more than 4 guaranteed years.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
ach. my boy Maese.

that might be a career ender right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad