Blue Jays Discussion: Alright, no more discontent. Just baseball | ST in Mtl: StL @ Tor | Mar 26/27 7pm ET/4pm PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
What's the plan for the backup catcher role this year? Are they going with Luke Maile?

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
What's the plan for the backup catcher role this year? Are they going with Luke Maile?

As of now you have to think it is Maile. Solid defensively and if used right he can be not terrible with the bat. 1-2 starts a week max and he should be a fine backup considering his defense... his numbers when Martin is healthy is much better than when he wasnt and the main guy.

Maile has had a good spring too. 20 PAs, 333 AVG, 450 OBP and 983 SLG. 3 BB and 0 Ks. He can be fine and very serviceable but with the depth behind him he is on a very short leash if he starts his year like he did last year. The knee surgery he had seemed to help him... he is likely just a place holder until Jansen and/or McGuire are ready.

Reactions: nilan30

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
rough spring for borucki but today seems a victim of defense (double shoulda been caught, and the failed pickoff led to more runs).

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
rough spring for borucki but today seems a victim of defense (double shoulda been caught, and the failed pickoff led to more runs).

He just needs to continue to grow. We will need him next season. Keep working on what he needs to and he will be more then fine. Saw him pitch in Buffalo, has the composure of a vet. Reminds me a lot of Estrada and good old Jimmy Key or Jim Clancy.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Sickels Top-175: Top 175 MLB Prospects for 2018

2) Vladdy A
5) Bo A

36) Alford B+ - "will hit enough for his tools to matter"

96) Borucki B/B+
101) Pearson B/B+

126) Jansen B - "may be too low in the long run"
142) SRF B - "who is the real SRF? 2016 version or 2017?"
147) Warmoth B
153) Adams B - "like him a lot. don't sleep on him"
167) Zeuch B

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Sickels Top-175: Top 175 MLB Prospects for 2018

2) Vladdy A
5) Bo A

36) Alford B+ - "will hit enough for his tools to matter"

96) Borucki B/B+
101) Pearson B/B+

126) Jansen B - "may be too low in the long run"
142) SRF B - "who is the real SRF? 2016 version or 2017?"
147) Warmoth B
153) Adams B - "like him a lot. don't sleep on him"
167) Zeuch B

So 10 0f our prospects listed in the top 175 of all MLB. 5 in the top 100!!!! So there are 30 some odd teams, I wonder what other organization has more then the 10 or comes close to it!!!! Things are looking good.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, Maile as the backup is nothing to worry about. He'll fill in once in a while, he's easy to replace if he struggles, and he can back up Jansen or McGuire if Martin gets hurt. Meh.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
So 10 0f our prospects listed in the top 175 of all MLB. 5 in the top 100!!!! So there are 30 some odd teams, I wonder what other organization has more then the 10 or comes close to it!!!! Things are looking good.

Jays have 9. Should have been 10 possibly 11. I think Teoscar should be on the list... A case could be made for McGuire and/or Taylor.

Cardinals and Braves have 12
Padres have 10
Yankees have 9.

Pirates, Diamondbacks, Angels and O's have 3.
Mariners, Mets and Giants have 2.
Royals have 1.

Bodes well for the Jays and Cardinals that they have so many quality prospects while maintaining quantity when they werent rebuilding. Could say the same for the Yankees though they did have a year where they trade some valuable pieces to get prospects.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Bodes well for the future I would presume. Depending on what the FO decides if they want to rebuild, that 10 number could go up to 15 if they do their trades and drafting right.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
McGuire has another good outing. Could be an option in the pen. Can they send him down to AAA?

Two weeks tomorrow is opening day!

Are they going to be ready? I’m starting to get concerned.

The Left side of the IF is going to be interesting if Donaldson is hobbled for any length of time. From what I saw, Diaz seems slow at SS.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Yeah, Maile as the backup is nothing to worry about. He'll fill in once in a while, he's easy to replace if he struggles, and he can back up Jansen or McGuire if Martin gets hurt. Meh.
Agreed. I Like maile as the backup but nothing more

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
teoscar doesn't qualify as a prospect.

personally i think reese mcguire should be on that list ahead of adams and warmoth.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Are they going to be ready? I’m starting to get concerned.

The Left side of the IF is going to be interesting if Donaldson is hobbled for any length of time. From what I saw, Diaz seems slow at SS.

He's a below average defensive shortstop. But weirdly, not in the Reyes-esque kind of way. More in the Johnny Peralta kind of way. I'm bullish on the bat bouncing back. If he hits at his two year average (.338 wOBA, 111 wRC+, .178 ISO), the overall package is more than acceptable.

Donaldson says he's fine, so I'm inclined to believe him. Solarte is a great utility player. I actually quite like the state of the infield, currently.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He's a below average defensive shortstop. But weirdly, not in the Reyes-esque kind of way. More in the Johnny Peralta kind of way. I'm bullish on the bat bouncing back. If he hits at his two year average (.338 wOBA, 111 wRC+, .178 ISO), the overall package is more than acceptable.

Donaldson says he's fine, so I'm inclined to believe him. Solarte is a great utility player. I actually quite like the state of the infield, currently.

You cannot be defensively weak up the middle and plan to compete. Ideally, you want an above average SS.

After watching this past week, I’m not as bullish on this team as I at the beginning of ST18

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Plus you have better options in AAA as well in Urena, Gift and potentially Gurriel. Hoping it doesnt come to it but guys like Brandon Phillips, Yunel Escabar and Stephen Drew are free agents as insurance. And im sure guys like Iglesias, Galvis, Lowrie, Alcides could be had cheap as pending FAs. Not to mention Machado and Dozier might be available if their respective teams are out of the race.

Kipnis, Castro and Harrison have been heavily shopped for very low returns as well. Should be very cheap to get middle infield help if the Jays need it.

---------------------

If anyone is wondering Connor Greene (C+) is 17th on the Cards prospect list - as a C+ prospect the highest he could be on our list was 16th. Woodman was an "Others of Note" prospect which is likely a C prospect or lower. Edward Olivares (C+) was grouped in after the Padres top 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad