Winnipeg Whiteout, yet Jets wear blue?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Waste of time trying to explain to anyone who's not a Jets fan about the Whiteout. Wearing white has nothing to do with the colour the team wears.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Waste of time trying to explain to anyone who's not a Jets fan about the Whiteout. Wearing white has nothing to do with the colour the team wears.

Care to explain it to former Winnipeg Jet Morris Lukowich? :laugh:

Old Jets felt return to playoffs

But as thrilled as Lukowich was to see the Jets back in the post-season, there's one thing he didn't like: the whiteout.

The product of Speers, Sask., who lives in Calgary now, says the Jets marketing department blew it, going so far as to say the decision to resurrect the tradition was a factor in the Jets' four-game sweep at the hands of the Anaheim Ducks.

“Our guys were wearing dark blue,†Lukowich said. “I just thought that was a mistake.â€

The four-time NHL 30-goal scorer would have preferred a blue-out.

“Yeah. And then blow 'em out,†Lukowich said. “At playoff time sometimes it's such a fine line between winning and losing. And everything needs to be used.. and I just couldn't see how you had six guys in dark blue against an entire white crowd. Plus Anaheim was wearing white. I thought it was just foolish.

“Psychologically I'd feel like it was us against everybody. Anaheim was wearing white, they won both games.â€

It's all about psychology, Lukowich said.

“If you're playing an entire arena of dark jerseys, you're going to be intimidated. Intimidation is a big piece of playoffs. So screw that whiteout. That's what I say.â€

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Care to explain it to former Winnipeg Jet Morris Lukowich? :laugh:

Old Jets felt return to playoffs

Lukowich won 1 career NHL playoff game with the Jets. 1-7.

I heard an interview where he suggested a blackout until it was suggested the goalies may have difficulties tracking the puck.:shakehead

I am a fan of Luke but he was never part of the whiteout. He had also suggested the Jets ask the NHL to wear white at home during the playoffs. He was really all over the map.

He is a Flames fan.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Lukowich must have taken too many hits to the head. Since he has lived in Calgary since retiring, he must remember the C of Red, when the Flames wore white. How would Lukowich explain the Flames 89' Stanley Cup win, since Montreal wore red?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Jesus, all those years watching Lukowich play, who knew he was that dumb.

trouty

Oct 3, 2011
its really a non issue cause since the Jets adopted the Whiteout in 1987 becides beating the Flames u have lost 7 straight playoff series since then, why continue a losing tradition

A Blue out made complete sence start a new tradition

trouty

Oct 3, 2011
The whiteout blue out orange out wascool till every team does it, add in every nhl building is a copy pretty much, theirs no Ade, Forum, Maple Leaf Gardens, Chicago Stadium, Spectrum, Boston Garden. Home ice really is meaningless were not the NBA

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
its really a non issue cause since the Jets adopted the Whiteout in 1987 becides beating the Flames u have lost 7 straight playoff series since then, why continue a losing tradition

The Jets were never favoured to win a playoff series during the Whiteout tradition. There were only two times the Jets had home ice advantage. That was the 1982 playoffs vs St.Louis, which the Jets lose 3-1, and the 1985 playoffs, which the Jets won 3-1.

The truth is, whether it be a Whiteout, C of Red, or any other fan tradition, it has little effect on the outcome of the game. It's a fun thing to do, and it unites the crowd.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
The fans in the stands in Anaheim were wearing orange but the Ducks were wearing black. What the **** is going on?

actually I'll tell ya what's going on, the home team players are smart enough to figure out who's cheering for who no matter what colour they wear.

It's dum dums like the writer of that article and apparently Morris Lukowicz that can't seem to grasp it.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
The whiteout blue out orange out wascool till every team does it, add in every nhl building is a copy pretty much, theirs no Ade, Forum, Maple Leaf Gardens, Chicago Stadium, Spectrum, Boston Garden. Home ice really is meaningless were not the NBA

you don't want to take part, don't take part. It's not about being cool and the win/loss record doesn't mean the Whiteout is a "failure." Anyone who could watch those 2 home games against the Ducks and say the Whiteout was a failure just isn't paying attention...

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Lukowich must have taken too many hits to the head. Since he has lived in Calgary since retiring, he must remember the C of Red, when the Flames wore white. How would Lukowich explain the Flames 89' Stanley Cup win, since Montreal wore red?

Lol...good point. Although sadly when I watched the Flames games, it did cross my mind that it looks way better than our whiteout.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

tumblr_lz5mc9hmOT1qfcbut.gif

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
Maybe all that tobacco chewing Morris used to do has finally gotten to his head. :laugh:

As someone else stated, Lukowich never experience the whiteout. He wasn't a Jet anymore by the time it started (1987).

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Does Paul Friesen of the Winnipeg Sun read HFJets? Just wondering because I noticed the article's title has mysteriously changed from "Old Jets felt return to playoffs" to "Drop the whiteout - Former Jet says tradition is a loser". :laugh:

I'm fairly convinced that all the Winnipeg newspaper writers haunt these boards silently. Far, far too often do you see comments/arguments made on here that were previously contradictory to a previous writer that suddenly show up as a change of opinion.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I'd like to start a new unique playoff tradition in Winnipeg next year.

Winning in the playoffs.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I disagree. It does look cool, but it also just looks like everyone is wearing Flames jerseys - which they are. It's not very creative.

Not to mention that Flames fans wear red jerseys all season long. So come playoff time, it really does not look that much different than a regular season game.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Not to mention that Flames fans wear red jerseys all season long. So come playoff time, it really does not look that much different than a regular season game.

That's why I think a "Blue Out" for us would be dumb. (well, one of the reasons) It would look like every regular season game.

Puck Hawerchuck

Jan 8, 2014
St Vital
That's why I think a "Blue Out" for us would be dumb. (well, one of the reasons) It would look like every regular season game.

Totally agree. Blue for regular season.

The sneaky Sun were able to create a stir by having Lukowich take the bait, however, they only gave Ellett saying how awesome the White out is and to keep it only a sentence.

Losing tradition - give us a break. We gave those Calgary & Edmonton stacked teams from the 80's their best opposition during the playoffs, just like facing a stacked Duck team this year. Btw - Calgary and especially "Johnny Hockey" did squat against Anaheim in game one and that will continue.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Totally agree. Blue for regular season.

The sneaky Sun were able to create a stir by having Lukowich take the bait, however, they only gave Ellett saying how awesome the White out is and to keep it only a sentence.

Losing tradition - give us a break. We gave those Calgary & Edmonton stacked teams from the 80's their best opposition during the playoffs, just like facing a stacked Duck team this year. Btw - Calgary and especially "Johnny Hockey" did squat against Anaheim in game one and that will continue.

We also more than held our own against very good Vancouver and Detroit teams later on. In fact, I still think if the Jets had started Essensa in the 1992 playoffs, they would have beat the Canucks, and could have made a serious run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad