Winnipeg rivalries?

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I think a big underdog is the Dallas Stars.

Even when perusing their team board they really don't seem to like us, or our management for that matter.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Yeah, can't really figure that one out.

Might be the whole "traditional/non-traditional market" thing. Whatever. I've never thought of Dallas as anything other than a worthy hockey market. Solid fanbase, and youth hockey is really growing there as well.

Primetimey*

I think a big underdog is the Dallas Stars.

Even when perusing their team board they really don't seem to like us, or our management for that matter.

I don't think many hate Winnipeg, just me! :handclap:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Yeah, can't really figure that one out.

Might be the whole "traditional/non-traditional market" thing. Whatever. I've never thought of Dallas as anything other than a worthy hockey market. Solid fanbase, and youth hockey is really growing there as well.

Me neither. Maybe that's why they hate us. :laugh:

J/K of course, they look to have a very solid fanbase and other than being a Houston Texans fan and letting my rivalry for a city cross sports I don't see any reason to dislike them.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Kinda funny thread, lots of bashing on the Jets for 'reaching' for Morrisey in the first, but then in the second everyone wants Petan and they end up 'reaching' for Elie and the Jets get him. :laugh:

Pretty much every single fanbase shouted "reach!" when we took Morrissey. They were the only ones who seemed to do it with some vitriol.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I shouted 'reach' when we did it.

I'm more ok with it now, though I'll still be watching Wennberg. Really looking forward to our blue line three years from now though.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Colorado and Minnesota are the only 2 teams without any significant wpg/mb connections. However due to location location location, Minnesota will be our biggest rivalry.

I'd say we have as much of a connection to Minnesota as any, with Wheeler and Buff both being from there

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
seeing how potentially one full line of their team could be from WPG (Garbutt, Eakin, Glennie) it would make for an interesting rivalry.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
right forgot about eakin and glennie, is glennie even expected to make the roster tho?

and by no winnipeg connections i mean minnesota has nobody on their team from winnipeg

falk was traded :P

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
right forgot about eakin and glennie, is glennie even expected to make the roster tho?

Yeah, zero chance Glennie plays for Dallas this year. Unless he comes around, he will be very lucky to even get qualified next off-season. An micro-inch away from a bust already.

I completely fail to see how having Manitoba born players on a roster makes them more of a rival though...

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Yeah, zero chance Glennie plays for Dallas this year. Unless he comes around, he will be very lucky to even get qualified next off-season. An micro-inch away from a bust already.

I completely fail to see how having Manitoba born players on a roster makes them more of a rival though...

i don't either, i just said its a crazy little thing that most the teams in our division have manitoba born players.

I also said i think Minnesota will be our biggest rival, the team without any manitoba born players.

Just thought it was interesting that most teams in our division have manitoba born players

Primetimey*

and by no winnipeg connections i mean minnesota has nobody on their team from winnipeg

falk was traded :P

He won't make the roster from camp, but could be a call up depending on injuries. Glennie was terrible at the start of the year, got scratched for a few games early in the year, but during the playoffs he actually played a solid third line game and was a strong two-way player.

Sure, that isn't what he was drafted for.. but if he puts in the time this off season he could have a good season.

committedindian86

Bedard SZN
Jun 7, 2010
Chicago, IL
I so hated Chicago back in the Jets 1.0 era. Hated all their players (Chelios first and foremost), hated that they offer-sheeted Tkachuk in 1995...a front loaded 5-year, $17.2 million contract that paid him $6 million in the first year (if ever there was a team vulnerable to a front loaded offer sheet, though, the 1995-96 Jets were it).

Coming in peace... You guys signed our franchise player in 72... That's worse... :laugh:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I think you guys will have rivalries with Minny, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver. Anything else will be secondary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad