Winnipeg rivalries?

Crazytrain83

Feb 12, 2012
Minnesota
As a Wild fan, I hope it's us.

I had some great conversations with hockey fans from Winnipeg at Wild games before you guys got your team back. We all agreed that it would be a great rivalry. Both cities are full of hockey fans who had their beloved team stolen from them.

In fact, if one of our games up there end up on a weekend this year, a bunch of us are hoping to road trip it up north.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
This is completely false. You don't have to hate the city and it's fans to have a rivalry with the other team. I don't know where you get that from.

Rivalries occur when each team has a dislike for the other team. The fans only have to dislike the other players, not the other fans or city.

Then it's not it's not real rivalry. See Riders-Bombers. Both sides hate each others province/city's. THAT is a rivalry.

Me personally, it'll be against Calgary and Vencouver. Vancouver because of the early 90's with the Jets 1.0. Calgary, well, I just have my personal reasons.

I hope to visit Minnesota the same time the Jets are there. Maybe I'll be sitting next to dome D-bag Wild fans and it'll make me hate them.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
As a Wild fan, I hope it's us.

I had some great conversations with hockey fans from Winnipeg at Wild games before you guys got your team back. We all agreed that it would be a great rivalry. Both cities are full of hockey fans who had their beloved team stolen from them.

In fact, if one of our games up there end up on a weekend this year, a bunch of us are hoping to road trip it up north.

Good luck getting tickets.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Good luck getting tickets.

You can get tickets if you dont mind spending a little. Kijiji/Ebay....(Yes I know its not the official Jets Exchange and should not be endorsed).... at any rate there are always tickets available. If you can get Leaf tickets...you can definitely get Wild tickets..

I am truely looking forward to seeing MINNY fans Up here...

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
You can get tickets if you dont mind spending a little. Kijiji/Ebay....(Yes I know its not the official Jets Exchange and should not be endorsed).... at any rate there are always tickets available. If you can get Leaf tickets...you can definitely get Wild tickets..

I am truely looking forward to seeing MINNY fans Up here...

The "MINNY-WINNY" rivalry? Sounds serious. :naughty:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Actually guys, it's not Minne. The team is the Minnesota Wild. They play out of St. Paul. Minne is short for Minneapolis. It's like calling a New Zealander an Aussie. Pisses them off to no end.

I highly recommend doing it :)

It's really hard to tell who we will be the biggest rivals with. I'd bet Chicago considering who their captain is and the fact they are Cup champs. Tons of Chitown fans at the MTS Centre should get us suitably riled up :)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Actually guys, it's not Minne. The team is the Minnesota Wild. They play out of St. Paul. Minne is short for Minneapolis. It's like calling a New Zealander an Aussie. Pisses them off to no end.

I highly recommend doing it :)

It's really hare to tell who we will be the biggest rivals with. I'd bet Chicago considering who their captain is and the fact they are Cup champs. Tons of Chitown fans at the MTS Centre should get us suitably riled up :)

I so hated Chicago back in the Jets 1.0 era. Hated all their players (Chelios first and foremost), hated that they offer-sheeted Tkachuk in 1995...a front loaded 5-year, $17.2 million contract that paid him $6 million in the first year (if ever there was a team vulnerable to a front loaded offer sheet, though, the 1995-96 Jets were it).

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't really dislike any team. I'm sure I won't be saying that after a few years in our new division though. :)

The Southeast Division was too far away and we haven't played a team in the west since March of 2012.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I think we stand a great chance at forming rivalries with a few teams, most notably Minnesota, Chicago and possibly St. Louis. All it takes is a playoff round or two and something pretty interesting could spark. I like our division.

Brian Cadle Fan

Sep 15, 2011
I expect to have the same feeling about Minnesota as I do about Rider fans. On the surface I condemn them to everlasting damnation, but secretly I root for them when the Bombers have crashed and burned yet again.

Go back and read their forum during the time the Jets were returning to Wpg. and later when the first announcement was made that we would be in the same division. The comments were almost universally welcoming and positive. Compare and contrast with the Leafs forum.

I look forward to despising the Wild (sort of)

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Go back and read their forum during the time the Jets were returning to Wpg. and later when the first announcement was made that we would be in the same division. The comments were almost universally welcoming and positive. Compare and contrast with the Leafs forum.

I look forward to despising the Wild (sort of)
Minnesota fans have also gone through the process of losing their team and getting a new one. They were in a position to understand how we felt.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Crazy actually

Obviously the wild will be due to proximity to us

But... pretty crazy stuff here

Chicago has winnipeg connections in Toews,Keith and Sharp

Nashville has winnipeg/Manitoba connections with Barry Trotz and Colin Wilson

St louis has Reaves and Steen

Dallas has Garbut

Colorado and Minnesota are the only 2 teams without any significant wpg/mb connections. However due to location location location, Minnesota will be our biggest rivalry.

Primetimey*

Crazy actually

Obviously the wild will be due to proximity to us

But... pretty crazy stuff here

Chicago has winnipeg connections in Toews,Keith and Sharp

Nashville has winnipeg/Manitoba connections with Barry Trotz and Colin Wilson

St louis has Reaves and Steen

Dallas has Garbut

Colorado and Minnesota are the only 2 teams without any significant wpg/mb connections. However due to location location location, Minnesota will be our biggest rivalry.

Eakin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad