Winnipeg media: asleep at the job

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
It's not a physically demanding job, sure, but it requires a lot of travel (time away from family) - I believe Lawless has a young daughter, so that can't be easy for him to be away from his family for a good chunk of the year. For all it's overt society status perks, it really isn't an incredibly financially rewarding job (journalism in general is trending down rather than up).

I hear your passion but don't let it completely cloud your vision.

Not to mention it requires a great deal of creativity to write articles on a daily/weekly basis. Many of us don't have the skills required to do it.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Mostly agree with the op. Yes, sports media is entertainment. Most sports media ask tough questions that fans want to hear because it helps sell newspapers and increases viewership. Our media suckles at the teat of True North. They won't touch anything controversial or negative toward the way the team is managed. Sports media is opinionated and different than regular news media and the great thing about sports media is that for every positive piece, someone is there to highlight the other side. Except in Winnipeg this doesn't exist. Every market has their "homers" and every market has the ones that stir the pot and ask the tough questions. None of the Winnipeg media ask any of the tough questions, it's like press conferences are scripted. The media in Winnipeg are not paid by the Jets, and shouldn't act like they are. One simple question is all I want to hear answered - "Why is Pavelec the number one guy when he has been the worst goalie statistically in the NHL the last 3 seasons?" As much as everyone thinks it's not the media's job to ask what the fans want to hear, does anyone believe that this question wouldn't have been asked in any other Canadian city? If the same situation were happening in Toronto, would the media ask that question? How about Montreal? Ottawa? Vancouver? We all know the answer. Luckily, the national media is starting to question the goaltending situation in Winnipeg. I'd like to see a one on one interview between Chevy and James Duthie. Chevy would be asked more hard questions than he's ever had to answer before he got a chance to say "process".

That comment amuses me because there are people in the media who to cling to arguments about how "the fans deserve answers" whenever somebody passes on an interview.

Meanwhile they don't always ask the questions that fans wanna hear. Media is a tricky. Gotta build a relationship and at times do things that undermine them.

boanst

May 25, 2013
The OP sure highlights very well how unremarkable our local sports media truly is.

Its too bad that theres no hope of a real hockey analyst being hired by 1290.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Seems to me all Lawless can do is wrong in many peoples eyes. First he was a know nothing attack dog & now he's a lap dog for True North. The guy can't win.

I'd bet one of the major reasons The Free Press began limiting posting on articles to their "subscribers only" was due to the constant negativity to pretty much anything he wrote.

In my eyes this was a good thing. It drove people away from conventional media and towards HFBoards. Anything written in either the Sun or Free Press is discussed here in far greater depth 12-36 hours prior to anything either paper writes.

I don't mind Lawless. He is what he is. His opinions are garbage, either because he's dumb or more likely he does it to become the (I assume) #1 writer commented on in the Free Press. He's no dummy. And the Free Press loves that, so no, that has nothing to do with subscribers only being able to comment. It creates traffic.

His reporting pieces are usually spot on.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I don't recall anyone from the Jets ever commenting on this issue at all. His agent brought up a story of a "fight with a fence" that the Jets repeated at the 2012 draft, but declined to let Telegin comment on.

After being sent down to the Ice Caps he got concussed missed the remainder of the season, came to 2013 camp, didn't play due to lingering concussion issues, got sent down refused to report for personal issues, then went home to Russia.

Jets lifted the suspension in January 2014, never explained anything & assigned him to CSKA Moscow where he is "playing" yet I've yet to see his name as much as appear in a game. Final stats for the season are:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0050392014.html

& his name appears nowhere. Apparently he played 0 games & doesn't appear it the KHL database at all:

http://en.khl.ru/players/?letter=T

But he is listed as on the team although no sign of him in the team photo.

http://en.khl.ru/clubs/cska

It's no wonder he didn't report to St. Johns. If "The Russian Roadrunner" isn't playing back home it's because he's still injured. What else could it be?

Anyways like I said, this has never been asked or explained, but the kid hasn't played a game since January of 2013, 18 months ago.

Former Senators draft pick & Canada's starting goalie who backstopped Canada's jr's to gold at the 2005 Worlds, goalie Jeff Glass, is a team mate. Perhaps someone with connections could ask him.

He's terrible. There's your answer.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2014...lec-buyout-ivan-telegin-injury-suspension-khl

That's what happens when you don't spend all your time on here!

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Short story, Telegin had serious concussion problems (everyone knows this, well documented) which led to a depression, which escalated to the point where he couldn't go to St. John's.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I think last year was Goat-Lender's make or break season. This is Chevy's make or break season. By failing to handle the goaltending problem he has taken a running start down the 'break' path. The good drafting buys him only so much rope. That is just doing his job. It is what we expect. He now needs to pull a rabbit out of his hat to recover.

Chevy will fall back on "it was one bad contract" "I had no depth from Atlanta, i was backed into a corner and had to do what I had to".

He also knows and most likely had expressed that he doesn't think he is a good goaltender in private to ownership. Which is why he's picked up 6 goaltending prospects in the first 3 years.

Chevy can at least fall back on the track record picking good prospects. He will play out his contract on that alone.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't believe buying out Pavelec is Chevy's call. It's True North and Mark Chipman that make that call. Chevy can advise them to buy out Pavelec, but if they say no, what is he going to do? Buy Pavelec out anyway?

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
The OP sure highlights very well how unremarkable our local sports media truly is.

Its too bad that theres no hope of a real hockey analyst being hired by 1290.

Illigal Curve? :laugh:

Didn't they do a show last year where they compared the Jets goaltending Vs the rest of the league and put it in the top 10? I would love a reply guys. Want to stand by your opinion? :handclap:

Puck Hawerchuck

Jan 8, 2014
St Vital
I don't believe buying out Pavelec is Chevy's call. It's True North and Mark Chipman that make that call. Chevy can advise them to buy out Pavelec, but if they say no, what is he going to do? Buy Pavelec out anyway?

I honestly believe they are waiting to sign Frolik to a long term contract before they deal with Pavelec. If they ditch his best pal, Chevy may be thinking that Frolik's contract negotiations may not go that smooth.

I also think Pavelec will start the season with the Jets but finish as the backup. If Hutchison sustains his pace he will easily take over by Christmas. If the Jets really thought Pavelec would be their long term solution, they would have traded more goaltending depth for player depth prior to or at the draft. The fact that they didn't tells me Pavs is merely placeholding until Hutchison/Hellebuyck/Comrie are ready.

As for the media, I hope they never again bully the Jets into making a stupid trade (see Babych for Neufeld in Jets 1.0). It was a witch hunt against Babych fuelled by the media at the time (mostly the Sun) which ended up as a disaster.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Not to mention it requires a great deal of creativity to write articles on a daily/weekly basis. Many of us don't have the skills required to do it.

This made me LOL a little bit. Lawless and creativity...he runs with about 3 narratives on the Jets, flip flops on them constantly (ex. "TRADE KANE" then "We need to see Kane play with Schiefele") and a couple narratives on the Bombers. Those make up the majority of his columns.

I enjoy his work as an information gatherer, but his columns/takes are hot garbage. In terms of creativity, he'd make a good soap opera writer.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This made me LOL a little bit. Lawless and creativity...he runs with about 3 narratives on the Jets, flip flops on them constantly (ex. "TRADE KANE" then "We need to see Kane play with Schiefele") and a couple narratives on the Bombers. Those make up the majority of his columns.

I enjoy his work as an information gatherer, but his columns/takes are hot garbage. In terms of creativity, he'd make a good soap opera writer.

My comment was about writing in general, not specifically Gary.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Jet management are responsible for the contract and manipulating the media. So they lose twice!

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I hate the narrative of waiting to deal with Pavelec due to Frolik.

He's a professional NHL player and an RFA to boot. If he was naive enough to forget that he's playing in a league where results matter and throws a fit then what is he gonna do? Throw a fit and not negotiate a deal that would be beneficial to both parties since we're not exactly up to the roof in cap space.

citizenmundane

Nov 3, 2013
Yeah... "hard hitting sports journalism"... there's so much of that in the world. You're actually expecting Lawless et al to crap in their own beds? Real journalists don't even report real actual news anymore. Get a grip.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Not surprising to hear from someone who so lovingly defended pavelec until just last season.

edit: Also, no it's not a tough job. Welding on an oil rig is a tough job. Crack ***** is a tough job. Getting fat off donuts and writing crappy articles about a hockey team, and being sent around the continent to watch hockey as part of it, is not a tough job.

Dude - my dad has been in the sports reporting business his whole career. Including covering hockey.

Is it tough in the way that being a rig pig is tough? No - you work inside to be sure.

But working the rigs... takes no special skills or talent. Anyone with a pulse who can consistently show up for work (which can be a challenge for some), and who will work the crazy hours outside will be able to do that job. I should know - I have plenty of friends, clients and even extended family who work the rigs.

But sports reporting? Every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks they can do the job better. Everyone with a free blog thinks they can write better. I already touched on the tension between access and reporting. And let's not forget that with the rise of the internet sports reporting (and newspapers in general) are a dying industry.

My old man has had a good career, but DAMN it's been a tough career. My work as a lawyer has been much easier in comparison.

And finally - I don't recall 'lovingly defending Pavelec'. I stay away from hard hockey analysis. I'm a fan, and don't pretend any great knowledge of the game. But what I do like to do is call out BS hyperbole, which seems to be your stock-in-trade.

Oh, and by the way, I was listening to Hustler & Lawless this afternoon (not something I usually do due to living in Edmonton and all). Even without Pavelec being the specific topic of conversation Lawless was all over Pavs and the "Jets goaltending".

White Out 403*

Oh god, ya I'm sure it was Lawless' typical bullcrap about having to "be better". The talk shouldn't be about the Jets needing better goaltending, it should be why does the team insist on trotting out the same proven loser year after year.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I hate the narrative of waiting to deal with Pavelec due to Frolik.

He's a professional NHL player and an RFA to boot. If he was naive enough to forget that he's playing in a league where results matter and throws a fit then what is he gonna do? Throw a fit and not negotiate a deal that would be beneficial to both parties since we're not exactly up to the roof in cap space.

I agree, I think that whole premise is idiotic. I doubt Frolic really gives a rat's ass if Pavelec is on the team, and he sure as hell wants better goaltending than that slug gives the team. When Frolik looks at Pavelec, he's probably embarrassed to be a Czech hockey player.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Wow how about that, one just has to ask!

For those that care, he was chronically concussed & once he was ready to return, grew very fearful of going back to St. Johns, the same city his injury occurred.

He went home saw a psychiatrist & within a few months felt prepared to play, but was prevented by his NHL suspension. Once that was lifted he was out of game shape & became injured in practice.

He'll be playing for CSKA Moscow this season.

Back on topic....this sounds like a story a journalist might take an interest in here in Winnipeg! It was a rather in depth article!

http://fanzone.khl.ru/news/22309/

Instead more columns about Kane's antics on Twitter/Instagram will likely follow.

ps:

He's terrible. There's your answer.

From the article he clearly admits that he is not ready for the NHL, but gives every indication he'll be back. I have faith he'll one day be a regular on our left side.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Oh god, ya I'm sure it was Lawless' typical bullcrap about having to "be better". The talk shouldn't be about the Jets needing better goaltending, it should be why does the team insist on trotting out the same proven loser year after year.

First - way to avoid the whole thesis of my post.

Second - again let me say, this was based on a half hour or so of the show listening to via the internet. Lawless was all about "for three years I've been saying the Jets need better goaltending - either Pavelec needs to get better, or..."

I'm not really a Lawless fan (though he's an improvement on Scott Taylor), but being a sports columnist in Winnipeg is a tough gig. It is beyond unfair to complain that someone isn't doing their job just because they aren't pushing the same narrow internet agenda that you wish they were pushing.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
{snip}

It is beyond unfair to complain that someone isn't doing their job just because they aren't pushing the same narrow internet agenda that you wish they were pushing.

I look at this thread as being about more than a narrow internet agenda. It speaks to the responsibility the MSM has to the people and explores how the MSM has shirked that responsibility in favour of keeping TN happy. From early on the media has given a free pass to TN and allowed important questions about this team to go unaddressed.

Some examples:

1. Why hire Claude Noel as the first coach? On a planet of six billion people how much of a coincidence was it the very best candidate just happened to be the coach of the Moose?

2. Why were Ramsay and Dudley left blowing in the wind for so long in the summer of 2011? Not even a phone call by all accounts.

3. Trade up to pick Yuen. And then don't sign. Que?

4. Pavs's contract - some questions should have been asked at the time of signing when we looked at his performance versus his pay.

5. Pavs's contract part deux. Why no buy out? That a buy out constituted the rational choice was demonstrated clearly, why wasn't TN confronted with that and made to defend their decision?

6. Why are we hearing that the Jets a are a budget team when revenues are going up at least 3% per year and the biggest expense (player salaries) has been cut from 57% of HRR to 50% of HRR? Big revenues plus a reduced cap should have the Jets in the running as a cap team - or at least as one not referred to as a 'budget' team.

Anyone else have any questions that TN should have been required to answer? Any other areas of accountability that the media has been negligent in pursuing?

m.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
How can the media require TNSE to answer anything?

TNSE is a private business, not the government. You can't file a freedom of information act request to get information on the Jets hockey operations.

White Out 403*

How can the media require TNSE to answer anything?

TNSE is a private business, not the government. You can't file a freedom of information act request to get information on the Jets hockey operations.

I guess a good start is to maybe ask the question first and go from there. lol. [mod] I hope you all enjoy shelling out your dollars for this complete joke of an organization. I don't know what's worse... TNSE abusing all of you Jets fans in Winnipeg and emptying your pockets, or, the people themselves for happily taking it and thinking "oh I'm just glad to have the NHL back".

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
But the media can go beyond softball questions and TN press release regurgitation.

m.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad