Winnipeg media: asleep at the job

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The media is this town are relatively poor, but I'm not sure why it's framed like answers on specific decisions are entitled to the public. They aren't. Also not sure why people believe the media should buy into conspiracy theories, although most of our media does take a pretty strong turn into soap opera narrative territory.

I'd be happy if we had a handful of reporters who actually understood and studied the sports they covered to the point that they could actually ask questions about tactics, decisions and circumstances relative to the sport. I don't know as much about hockey on that level, but listening to the post-game pressers and the post-draft presser this year for the Bombers was cringe worthy. The media literally have the narrative spelled out and just get the soundbites they need to add a quote to the story. The stupidity of the media keeps the fanbase ignorant when it comes to the actual sport too.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
So with Pavelec not being bought out (hes not on waivers so its impossible to do) I want to discuss who's to blame. I think by now everyone is on board with what I've been saying since day one of my existence on HF and since year 1 of the Jets back in Winnipeg: Pavelec is a problem.

Kevin Cheveldayoff: He's the architect of this disaster. He signed a guy to a fairly decent contract, but failed to do his due diligence. Pavs was convicted of a crime that summer in Europe and no one in our organization knew.

More damning, however, is that now with all this data painting a very obvious picture for all to see, he is sticking to his guns.

Ondrej himself: I'm not going to blame a guy for not being good enough to be an NHL calibre goaltender. He is what he is. I can blame him for his piss poor behaviour. Concealing his criminal record in Europe while negotiating a new long term deal. being unfit and unwilling to learn and adapt. but again how much can be blamed on him: if he isn't good enough he isn't good enough.

Winnipeg media: The biggest cowards in all media. Lawless in particular. This guy is such a clown.He does nothing but powdery fluff pieces on the Jets with no teeth. He actually just a few months ago wrote an article with the scathing question "if indeed goaltending is the main problem for the Jets". What? are you serious? He actually trotted out that embarrassing piece of garbage article to try and show he tough he was on TNSE.

So here we are... and I blame the Winnipeg Media for not doing their jobs. The Winnipeg media in print and online and tv is a joke. They're all basically answering not to the readers and fans of Winnipeg, but to TNSE. They're so star struck by having the pros back in Winnipeg they wouldn't dare ruffle any feathers. Lawless really is the captain of this garbage dump of a field. Ed Tait is no better.

I'm not asking for our media to run a player out of town, I'm asking for them to have the balls to ask our GM why he's anointing the worst goaltender for 3 years running as our starter. Or how about why he's hell bent on Pavelec being the #1 when Hutch has more grooming in the AHL, better AHL numbers, and better NHL numbers than Pavs. Or how about asking why a small market team wouldn't want to save 1/3rd the salary of a contract for a player who's better off not showing up?

There's no words to describe my utter contempt for our useless media, sitting and purring on the laps of true north like trained little house cats. It's embarrassing. I deserve better. YOU deserve better. WINNIPEG deserves better. We pay out the nose to enjoy our Jets (yes, our Jets. Not Chipmans or TNSE) and we deserve to have the tough questions asked.

Shame on the Sun, Free Press, and every trained house cat who thinks they're a journalist in this city. You should all resign in embarrassment and go work for McDonalds.

A worthy post for discussion. I think that Winnipeg needs a Don Cherry like media figure to step forward - one who will tell it like he sees it. Someone who will throw controversial topics out there, forcing the uncomfortable discussions to take place. Won't always be right, but not afraid to rock the boat.

For me, I think that Chevy has gotten a free pass. When does the honeymoon end? Isn't he the least productive GM in the NHL for the last three years, probably in the history of the modern NHL? I could see the do nothing except draft and develop strategy if the team was successful, but missing the playoffs every year by 2 or 4 games is not success. It is a false choice to say that to make the playoffs this year, we will jeopardize being a serious cup contender a few years down the line. This is the age of free agency. But that seems to be the free pass that is used over and over again. It comes up a lot in this forum.

I know that Chevy has constraints that we can't see. But I also know how to recognize inaction, and we get a lot of that from this crew. The goal tending issue to me is just another example of inaction. So was our trade deadline strategy in March.

So I am waiting to see what happens this summer. So far we have a 4th line resigning and an equal replacement for Olli. On goal tending, we lost a backup that was better than our starter. I sure hope there is a major trade (somewhat telegraphed by the team before the draft but never happened), or another big UFA pick up soon. Otherwise we go into next year with the same team, expecting to just miss again or just squeak into the playoffs. That will earn us another 10th to 15th range draft pick next year to complement our draft and develop strategy. That's not what a GM is paid to do in his 4th year if you ask me.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
A worthy post for discussion. I think that Winnipeg needs a Don Cherry like media figure to step forward - one who will tell it like he sees it. Someone who will throw controversial topics out there, forcing the uncomfortable discussions to take place. Won't always be right, but not afraid to rock the boat.

They'd last a week before their press pass was pulled. It's a tricky balancing act for the media.

White Out 403*

I'd love to see someone say who gives a crap about the press pass. Report from a distance and write some real news stories.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
They'd last a week before their press pass was pulled. It's a tricky balancing act for the media.

I'm not so sure that is at all true.
Lots of teams and journalists have had antagonistic relationships
Torterella and Brooks in NY leap to mind, but there are many other examples. Really most of Toronto's press corp has had no problem calling out management and players alike, yet they are there game in and game out, in the media centres and locker rooms.

Yes individual reporters have burned bridges and lost contacts, and insider type privileges , but that has value as the reporter is then free to really ask the hard questions.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
The media is this town are relatively poor, but I'm not sure why it's framed like answers on specific decisions are entitled to the public. They aren't. Also not sure why people believe the media should buy into conspiracy theories, although most of our media does take a pretty strong turn into soap opera narrative territory.

I'd be happy if we had a handful of reporters who actually understood and studied the sports they covered to the point that they could actually ask questions about tactics, decisions and circumstances relative to the sport. I don't know as much about hockey on that level, but listening to the post-game pressers and the post-draft presser this year for the Bombers was cringe worthy. The media literally have the narrative spelled out and just get the soundbites they need to add a quote to the story. The stupidity of the media keeps the fanbase ignorant when it comes to the actual sport too.

I'd much prefer this method of journalism. Seems the general method of questioning following a game is....."tough loss, eh?"

Ex players as television analysts like Ferraro & Ward are on point with their dialogue. It would be great to see retired players finding a voice in journalism as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad