Winnipeg Jets select G Mikhail Berdin (6/157)

zsam

Mar 26, 2016
Winnipeg
From a Russian poster on the main board:

8. Mikhail Berdin (GK, 6'2", 163 lbs; MHL: 2.07 GAA, .928 SVS% in 22GP)

Berdin is a goalie who plays an athletic and positionally calm game and is pretty solid on the rebound control for such a young goalie. Rather inconsistent and had quite a lot of ups and downs during the season though. One of the 'ups' came at the WJAC where he stopped almost everything, I'm pretty sure that NHL team scouts and management won't forget that.

Comparison/Projection: Berdin's style pretty much reminds me of Ivan Nalimov, in terms of the upside I think the right projection would be a solid and reliable NHL backup goalie. Goalies are usually the ones who need some time to fulfill their potential and Berdin shouldn't be an exception.
At the draft day: should be picked somewhere in the fourth or fifth draft rounds, would be a good option for a team looking for an improvement in the goalie prospect pipeline depth, but wouldn't be liking to spend a high pick for that, someone like New Jersey, Vancouver or even Toronto.
After the draft day: there are so far unconfirmed rumors that Berdin might cross the pond this summer to play in AHL/ECHL.

Last edited:

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Games I have to choose from:

- A 48 out of 49 save performance where the video is very choppy and hurts my eyes a wee bit.

- A 27 out of 31 save performance with no audio.

I've watched about 10 minutes of each. He is very animated in the net. At one point an opposing player fell into him and he got right up and in his face. One very positive thing seems to be his communication, while I was watching the game with no audio he was consistently pointing out assignments to defenders and I'm assuming he was yelling as well.

In one of the games he also gets a penalty for tripping. He played the puck behind the net to his defender and tripped the opposing player coming around the net very obviously and then argued with the ref. :laugh:

If I do the one with no audio I'm toying with the idea of recording myself talking over it.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014

- A 48 out of 49 save performance where the video is very choppy and hurts my eyes a wee bit.

I've watched about 10 minutes of each. He is very animated in the net. At one point an opposing player fell into him and he got right up and in his face. One very positive thing seems to be his communication, while I was watching the game with no audio he was consistently pointing out assignments to defenders and I'm assuming he was yelling as well.

In one of the games he also gets a penalty for tripping. He played the puck behind the net to his defender and tripped the opposing player coming around the net very obviously and then argued with the ref. :laugh:

If I do the one with no audio I'm toying with the idea of recording myself talking over it.

He sounds like Bryzgalov already :laugh:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

Patrick Roy and Ilya Bryzgalov come to mind.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
From a Russian poster on the main board:

8. Mikhail Berdin (GK, 6'2", 163 lbs; MHL: 2.07 GAA, .928 SVS% in 22GP)

Berdin is a goalie who plays an athletic and positionally calm game and is pretty solid on the rebound control for such a young goalie. Rather inconsistent and had quite a lot of ups and downs during the season though. One of the 'ups' came at the WJAC where he stopped almost everything, I'm pretty sure that NHL team scouts and management won't forget that.

Comparison/Projection: Berdin's style pretty much reminds me of Ivan Nalimov, in terms of the upside I think the right projection would be a solid and reliable NHL backup goalie. Goalies are usually the ones who need some time to fulfill their potential and Berdin shouldn't be an exception.
At the draft day: should be picked somewhere in the fourth or fifth draft rounds, would be a good option for a team looking for an improvement in the goalie prospect pipeline depth, but wouldn't be liking to spend a high pick for that, someone like New Jersey, Vancouver or even Toronto.
After the draft day: there are so far unconfirmed rumors that Berdin might cross the pond this summer to play in AHL/ECHL.

Those rumors were just a rumors, Berdin has confirmed that for now he stays with the Severstal team.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I took a whole bunch of video of a game and only noticed very late in my recordings that he played 42 minutes of the game and was pulled. :(

But he made 27 saves on 31 shots and I think there's some good video in there. He wasn't to blame for 2-3 of the goals anyway. On the first goal he was left out to dry; made 2 huge saves right in the slot and the 3rd went in.

I'll try to get it uploaded by tomorrow.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I took a whole bunch of video of a game and only noticed very late in my recordings that he played 42 minutes of the game and was pulled. :(

But he made 27 saves on 31 shots and I think there's some good video in there. He wasn't to blame for 2-3 of the goals anyway. On the first goal he was left out to dry; made 2 huge saves right in the slot and the 3rd went in.

I'll try to get it uploaded by tomorrow.

Here it is. No audio so put some tunes on or whatever. Some ridiculous saves in there as well.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Time to bump this thread. Seems more likely to get into the Jets system sooner rather than later now. Does anyone own his CHL rights? Think he'll try NCAA next year?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
So I'm guessing that since he won't be playing in the CHL and NCAA is unlikely he may be signed to an ELC contract sooner than later?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
So I'm guessing that since he won't be playing in the CHL and NCAA is unlikely he may be signed to an ELC contract sooner than later?

A signing bonus would give him some spending $$$ in Sioux Falls

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad