Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabizz

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
There is a graph somewhere floating around that shows the projection between Paul Kariya, Jack Eichel, and Kyle Connor. Connor is scoring a a greater speed when adjusting for era.

Also, the local rag has a new write up on Connor.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/03/12/jets-prospect-kyle-connor-taking-major-strides-as-freshman

I love Connor as a player and as a prospect but would it not make more sense to be comparing him to the best sophomore's as opposed to the best freshman? Eichel and Kariya both led their teams as 18 year olds while Connor is doing it after an extra year of development in the USHL. That really shouldn't be glossed as often as it is IMO

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
For the last time, no one is glossing over the age difference. People are comparing their scoring rates relative to being rookies in the NCAA - that's it. What Kariya and Eichel did in no way diminishes what Connor is doing, and that is leading the national scoring race by a comfortable margin and being a serious Hobey Baker candidate.

There is also a chart that shows P/60 or PPG (can't remember which) for top NCAA scorers, and Connor is comfortably on that list as well. I don't know where it is, though. I'm sure someone here can dig it up.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I love Connor as a player and as a prospect but would it not make more sense to be comparing him to the best sophomore's as opposed to the best freshman? Eichel and Kariya both led their teams as 18 year olds while Connor is doing it after an extra year of development in the USHL. That really shouldn't be glossed as often as it is IMO

Tricky

Great point on the age because he got the late birthday bump for the draft. That being said it is his rookie year in the NCAA and it's not like he's 23. I think you put an astic beside it but he is leading the nation in scoring against older players in his first year in the league. Kyle is that dreaded December baby so for the better part of his life his birthday worked against him until his draft class of coarse.

Panarin is having a heck of a season in Chicago but he may win the rookie of the year as a 24 year old in his 5th season in professional hockey? I think this is a case worth debate but an issues like Connor I see being less relevant, worth noting but is it a big advantage, I'm not so sure really?

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

Eichel and Kariya both entered university as 17 year olds. Most freshmen would be like Connor and be 18 when the university year began.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I don't think his season can be compared to Kariya's and Eichel's, because he's about 10 months older than they were as freshmen.

He looks like a marvelous talent, but he's really hit a sweet spot with his line this season, which has probably inflated his numbers a bit.

I still think he might be better with another year in the NCAA, but perhaps the Jets want to accelerate their youth movement and will try to get him into the lineup for next season. If so, they would need to move Stafford or Burmi (my preference would be to move Stafford). Still, it makes you start to wonder where prospects like Petan, Dano and Lemieux will find room on the Jets' roster.

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Armia
Burmi-Lowry-Connor (rooks always start on line 3).
Dano-Copp-Thorbs

I suppose that when he's ready, Petan steps in for Burmi? If the Jets get lucky and end up with a top-3 pick, then they'll have incredible depth at forward, and might need to move some forward prospects for an upgrade on D. I wonder if the Jets might consider using some of their prospects to maneuver around in the 1st round. Could they package Petan or Dano to try to move up from the bottom of the 1st round to #11-15 and try to nab another strong D or C prospect? Maybe Keller, McCleod, or Brown, or maybe Juolevi or Sergachev, if they slip a bit?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think his season can be compared to Kariya's and Eichel's, because he's about 10 months older than they were as freshmen.

He looks like a marvelous talent, but he's really hit a sweet spot with his line this season, which has probably inflated his numbers a bit.

I still think he might be better with another year in the NCAA, but perhaps the Jets want to accelerate their youth movement and will try to get him into the lineup for next season. If so, they would need to move Stafford or Burmi (my preference would be to move Stafford). Still, it makes you start to wonder where prospects like Petan, Dano and Lemieux will find room on the Jets' roster.

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Armia
Dano-Copp-Thorbs

I suppose that when he's ready, Petan steps in for Burmi? If the Jets get lucky and end up with a top-3 pick, then they'll have incredible depth at forward, and might need to move some forward prospects for an upgrade on D. I wonder if the Jets might consider using some of their prospects to maneuver around in the 1st round. Could they package Petan or Dano to try to move up from the bottom of the 1st round to #11-15 and try to nab another strong D or C prospect? Maybe Keller, McCleod, or Brown, or maybe Juolevi or Sergachev, if they slip a bit?

I like that lineup with one tweak. How about we insert that Matthews kid onto the 3rd line, drop one of either Lowry or Burmi to the 4th. Move Copp to the wing and let Thor and Peluso spend the season in the PB. Thor can be the extra special clue player that keeps the guys all loose in the room and never touches the ice.

For an added Bonus we do the same thing with Morrissey and Stu on defense. Imagine how effective Stu will be if he can just concentrate on his "glue" responsibilities as well.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I like that lineup with one tweak. How about we insert that Matthews kid onto the 3rd line, drop one of either Lowry or Burmi to the 4th. Move Copp to the wing and let Thor and Peluso spend the season in the PB. Thor can be the extra special clue player that keeps the guys all loose in the room and never touches the ice.

For an added Bonus we do the same thing with Morrissey and Stu on defense. Imagine how effective Stu will be if he can just concentrate on his "glue" responsibilities as well.

Kudos on the glue scenario. It's a wonderful dream.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

Agree. If he was 17 he would be top pick in draft.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

We are talking about a few months here, not even a year. When you have an arbitrary cut-off date there will always be the potential for an age difference of up to a years less a day. Yes, Eicel and Kariya were 10 months younger in their freshman years. I'm sure a lot of other freshmen were a similar age to Connor.

Tricky

Great point on the age because he got the late birthday bump for the draft. That being said it is his rookie year in the NCAA and it's not like he's 23. I think you put an astic beside it but he is leading the nation in scoring against older players in his first year in the league. Kyle is that dreaded December baby so for the better part of his life his birthday worked against him until his draft class of coarse.

Panarin is having a heck of a season in Chicago but he may win the rookie of the year as a 24 year old in his 5th season in professional hockey? I think this is a case worth debate but an issues like Connor I see being less relevant, worth noting but is it a big advantage, I'm not so sure really?

Nothing to debate about Panarin. He is an NHL rookie. Period. He's a little older than most. So what. The Calder isn't an award for the best 18 YO or the best 21 YO. What if he had never played in the KHL but instead had completed the usual 2 more years of junior and then done 2 years in the AHL before his rookie NHL season? Not an unusual path to take. He would be 23 as an NHL rookie.

Eichel and Kariya both entered university as 17 year olds. Most freshmen would be like Connor and be 18 when the university year began.

That's not quite correct. They entered as 17 YO and turned 18 a few months later. Most would have been 18 but only just. Had they been born just 2 months earlier they would have been 18. In Connor's case he entered as an 18 YO and turned 19 just a few months later. He entered uni a year after he would have been expected to graduate high school rather than the next term. He is approximately 10 months older than Eichel and Kariya.

Rather than glossing it over I think too much is being made of it. JMO

Edit: BTW, Jack Roslovic is just 1 1/2 mos. younger than Connor. He is also a freshman. He went to Uni with his high school graduation class. No year in between. He too is now 19 along with many other freshmen.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Armia
Dano-Copp-Thorbs

I would it a little differently.

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Stafford
Connor-Burmi-Armia
Lowry-Copp-Dano

Petan is also a possibility at 3C but that is already a very young, inexperienced forward corps. If we get Mathews he is at 3C. If we get one of the Finns Perreault is at 3C, etc. I think Armia on the 2nd is just a bit of a rush. If we don't draft a top 3 F we keep Stafford and Armia moves down to 3rd.

There are lots of possibilities. The picture will become a little clearer after the lottery.

We have a late 1st and an early 2nd plus more young F prospects than we can accommodate all at once. Some package could be put together to move up even as far as 8th if necessary to get one of Juolevi, Sergachev, Chychrun. Or some of those assets could be used to get a good D prospect from a previous draft, say Sanheim for example. For that matter Stafford could be included in that package if the trade partner values him.

It is a bit of a fantasy but not out of sight to draft 1-3 and 10. Get Mathews and Juolevi. :) Or get Laine and trade for Sanheim would also be very good.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Connor-Burmi-Armia
Lowry-Copp-Dano

That's what I like. Lowry should not see the third line again. And that makes a killer 4th line which we have never had.

Burmi has been pretty good lately or I'd put Petan on that line. I think Petan and Dano would be a great combo. Dano can get open, Petan is an amazing setup man.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I used to play 'Clue' with my kids. :laugh: I like the usage for Thor & Stu though. Well done. :laugh::laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's what I like. Lowry should not see the third line again. And that makes a killer 4th line which we have never had.

Burmi has been pretty good lately or I'd put Petan on that line. I think Petan and Dano would be a great combo. Dano can get open, Petan is an amazing setup man.

We could do that with the 4th line also. That would not be your typical 4th line! :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Connor-Burmi-Armia
Lowry-Copp-Dano

Petan is also a possibility at 3C but that is already a very young, inexperienced forward corps. If we get Mathews he is at 3C. If we get one of the Finns Perreault is at 3C, etc. I think Armia on the 2nd is just a bit of a rush. If we don't draft a top 3 F we keep Stafford and Armia moves down to 3rd.

There are lots of possibilities. The picture will become a little clearer after the lottery.

We have a late 1st and an early 2nd plus more young F prospects than we can accommodate all at once. Some package could be put together to move up even as far as 8th if necessary to get one of Juolevi, Sergachev, Chychrun. Or some of those assets could be used to get a good D prospect from a previous draft, say Sanheim for example. For that matter Stafford could be included in that package if the trade partner values him.

It is a bit of a fantasy but not out of sight to draft 1-3 and 10. Get Mathews and Juolevi. :) Or get Laine and trade for Sanheim would also be very good.

You're probably right. If the Jets get Laine or Puljujarvi, then maybe they move Stafford and go very young for next year.

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Laine/Puljujarvi
Connor-Burmi-Armia
Lowry-Copp-Dano.

That would be a very nice line-up in a couple of years, but they would take their lumps next season.

Buff is going to love having Ehlers and Connor on the fly. They'll be two of the more dynamic and fastest young wingers in the NHL.

Personally, I think that Maurice will want a player like Thorbs in the line-up on the 4th line, especially if they have a bunch of young players. That's just the way he rolls.

In that case, the Jets would still have a lot of forward depth in the system, with Petan, Dano, Lemieux, De Leo, Lipon, and Kosmachuk all with the Moose.

In the future, I could see a couple of key transitions up front:

Petan for Burmi.
Lemieux for Thorbs.
Dano for Perreault.

I don't think those are big improvements, but they will be less expensive options in the next several years.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You're probably right. If the Jets get Laine or Puljujarvi, then maybe they move Stafford and go very young for next year.

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Laine/Puljujarvi
Connor-Burmi-Armia
Lowry-Copp-Dano.

That would be a very nice line-up in a couple of years, but they would take their lumps next season.

Buff is going to love having Ehlers and Connor on the fly. They'll be two of the more dynamic and fastest young wingers in the NHL.

Personally, I think that Maurice will want a player like Thorbs in the line-up on the 4th line, especially if they have a bunch of young players. That's just the way he rolls.

In that case, the Jets would still have a lot of forward depth in the system, with Petan, Dano, Lemieux, De Leo, Lipon, and Kosmachuk all with the Moose.

In the future, I could see a couple of key transitions up front:

Petan for Burmi.
Lemieux for Thorbs.
Dano for Perreault.

I don't think those are big improvements, but they will be less expensive options in the next several years.

I think they will be very young and inexperienced next year even without this years 1st or even without Connor for that matter. Scheif is a bit of a tweener but starting his 4th year he has 1 foot in the veteran category. Then there will be Little, Wheeler, Perreault and maybe Stafford in the top 9. Everyone else will be either 1st or 2nd year players. That is what makes me expect another year out of the POs. But look out the year after! :)

I think you are probably right about Thor too. Maybe having him in the PB and available for some specific games will be enough but probably not. I will be satisfied if they at least cut back to one helmet puncher. Maybe they can more easily get something for Thor and keep Peluso. As long as he doesn't play too much I would be satisfied with that.

That forward depth should make reasonably good injury replacements and also some trade bait for a D, left handed of course. :)

Tanking as we are it is getting harder to be optimistic but that forward group does look very good - in another year or two. The D is pretty good now but in need of a little patching up. The future still looks bright.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think they will be very young and inexperienced next year even without this years 1st or even without Connor for that matter. Scheif is a bit of a tweener but starting his 4th year he has 1 foot in the veteran category. Then there will be Little, Wheeler, Perreault and maybe Stafford in the top 9. Everyone else will be either 1st or 2nd year players. That is what makes me expect another year out of the POs. But look out the year after! :)

I think you are probably right about Thor too. Maybe having him in the PB and available for some specific games will be enough but probably not. I will be satisfied if they at least cut back to one helmet puncher. Maybe they can more easily get something for Thor and keep Peluso. As long as he doesn't play too much I would be satisfied with that.

That forward depth should make reasonably good injury replacements and also some trade bait for a D, left handed of course. :)

Tanking as we are it is getting harder to be optimistic but that forward group does look very good - in another year or two. The D is pretty good now but in need of a little patching up. The future still looks bright.

Replacing Stuart with Morrissey and Pavs with Hellebuyck instantly improves the back end of the Jets. I think Maurice will have no trouble transitioning to Hellebuyck as the #1 next season, but I have my doubts about moving Stuart out of the line-up. Maurice seems to have a blind spot with him.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

His play off the puck is improved but I think he'll have a bit of an adjustment period on that side of the puck when he turns pro. We'll be cursing him a few times in our own zone I think, to start off.

That release and offensive awareness is more than worth it, though.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
His play off the puck is improved but I think he'll have a bit of an adjustment period on that side of the puck when he turns pro. We'll be cursing him a few times in our own zone I think, to start off.

That release and offensive awareness is more than worth it, though.

Agreed on both accounts. He needs work defensively (which young player doesn't?), but he really is the full package offensively. Quick, fast, great shot, nifty passer, goes to the right places on the ice. We need him on our PP.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Replacing Stuart with Morrissey and Pavs with Hellebuyck instantly improves the back end of the Jets. I think Maurice will have no trouble transitioning to Hellebuyck as the #1 next season, but I have my doubts about moving Stuart out of the line-up. Maurice seems to have a blind spot with him.

Surely he knows though that age is catching up with Stu. Even if you liked Stu and his old-school style 2-3 years ago he has deteriorated. 1 of these days Maurice is going to realize that Stu has reached the end of the line. I keep hoping that today is that day. He'll be 32 in about 6 weeks. 2 more years. Good Grief!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad