Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread (Part XI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
It is hard not to get too excited, but one day he just may be something special.

Yes, although it's best to keep expectations in check you can't help but feel good about our goaltending going ahead in the future. With him, Comrie, Hutch (hopefully we'll see more of him going forward) also Phillips and Kasdorf I think are all doing pretty good. Brighter days ahead (full optimist mode)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think Petan is learning allot in juniors this year....gone is his great coach and high end line mates that he dominated with for two seasons. He is learning to adapt to change and if it was really so easy he would be crushing it but he is having to fight for every inch. Same with Josh in PA without Leon its a bit tougher sledding.

CHL is a really good league guys and our boys aren't so above it that they can waltz through.....they are getting pushed and needing to dig deep. IMO they are both learning allot just like Nik is in Halifax.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I think Petan is learning allot in juniors this year....gone is his great coach and high end line mates that he dominated with for two seasons. He is learning to adapt to change and if it was really so easy he would be crushing it but he is having to fight for every inch. Same with Josh in PA without Leon its a bit tougher sledding.

CHL is a really good league guys and our boys aren't so above it that they can waltz through.....they are getting pushed and needing to dig deep. IMO they are both learning allot just like Nik is in Halifax.

excellent point...throw in a high high profile world junior experience and they will be quite battle tested next year..

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes, although it's best to keep expectations in check you can't help but feel good about our goaltending going ahead in the future. With him, Comrie, Hutch (hopefully we'll see more of him going forward) also Phillips and Kasdorf I think are all doing pretty good. Brighter days ahead (full optimist mode)

I've made some derisive comments about the state of the franchise's cupboards - but goaltending was a barren wasteland when the Thrashers arrived here.

Was:
Pavelec-Mason-Carrozzi-Pasquale-Mannino-(Petterson-Wentzel)

Now:
Pavelec-Hutchinson-Hellebuyck-Budaj-Olkinoura-Comrie-Phillips-Kasdorf

Also through the system since 2011: Aebischer, Montoya and Gustavson (well...).

Did I miss anyone?

BTW: Is Pasquale not playing this season? I know he's not with the org but I don't see a stat line for him on HockeyDB at all.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
BTW: Is Pasquale not playing this season? I know he's not with the org but I don't see a stat line for him on HockeyDB at all.

Belongs to Washington I think. Had surgery maybe still recovering.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I've made some derisive comments about the state of the franchise's cupboards - but goaltending was a barren wasteland when the Thrashers arrived here.

Was:

Now:

Did I miss anyone?

So far, Postma looks like the only prospect worth keeping from the entire Thrashers development system, and he is likely a #5-6 D on a good team.

I agree that the Jets' management look to have done a good job with developing a pipeline of goaltenders. Goalies are very unpredictable, and the Jets have used a varied approach (waiver wire for Hutchinson, late-round flyer on Hellebuyck, 2nd round pick on Comrie). They seem to be doing their homework. #whatdidChevydotoday ;)

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
I'm very excited for our goalie pipeline. They are a crapshoot but we amassed a good number of quality goalie prospects so I have a feeling one will breakout and become a stud goaltender for us in the future.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Was:

Now:

Did I miss anyone?

TSN Player Profile says status: Minors but I can't find anything on him either. Checked rosters of AHL & ECHL affiliates. Nada.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So far, Postma looks like the only prospect worth keeping from the entire Thrashers development system, and he is likely a #5-6 D on a good team.

I agree that the Jets' management look to have done a good job with developing a pipeline of goaltenders. Goalies are very unpredictable, and the Jets have used a varied approach (waiver wire for Hutchinson, late-round flyer on Hellebuyck, 2nd round pick on Comrie). They seem to be doing their homework. #whatdidChevydotoday ;)

I'd suggest Redmond was also a keeper - unfortunately, the only two keepers in the pipeline both played the exact same position which also happened to be the organization's deepest.

I still would be interested to know the story behind identifying Hellebuyck as a prospect out of the NAHL...who's scouting the Odessa Jackalopes?!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd suggest Redmond was also a keeper - unfortunately, the only two keepers in the pipeline both played the exact same position which also happened to be the organization's deepest.

I still would be interested to know the story behind identifying Hellebuyck as a prospect out of the NAHL...who's scouting the Odessa Jackalopes?!

I liked Zach, too. Actually, until this season I would have preferred that the Jets keep Redmond over Postma, but seeing how Postma is performing this year I think they made the right call.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

Based on spot-duty last season, I'd say that O'Dell--a Ducks pick, though--could be an NHLer right now.

No kidding!

(On a related note, the Jackelopes are currently looking for a volunteer Official Scorer. Also their Twitter is keeping a keen eye on the big guy in St. John's.)

It would be unreasonable to expect more than one or two to really make an impact per decade, but I really like how the Jets have been using their 5th-7th round picks:

young, high-ceiling Euros
small-league goalies ('cause voodoo...)
college commits (cheap development)
AHL-ready over-agers

jetkarma*

What area or position wasn't a barren wasteland?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I liked Zach, too. Actually, until this season I would have preferred that the Jets keep Redmond over Postma, but seeing how Postma is performing this year I think they made the right call.

Me too. I still like Redmond but Postma is playing better than I ever saw him do before.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What area or position wasn't a barren wasteland?

Well, there were at least some prospect bright spots you could point to at forward and defense back in 2011. I know they haven't worked out for the most part, but still...

Promising forwards:
Klingberg, Cormier, Telegin, Machacek, O'Dell (plus Scheifele and Lowry from the 2011 draft).

Promising defensmen:
Postma, Redmond, Kulda (plus Serville and Yuen from the 2011 draft)

Both those lists look a lot better than Carrozzi, Pasquale, Mannino and FPW. Kasdorf was picked in 2011 but he wasn't really on anyone's radar at all (whereas Yuen, Serville, Lowry and Scheifele were all well regarded to some extent).

jetkarma*

Well, there were at least some prospect bright spots you could point to at forward and defense back in 2011. I know they haven't worked out for the most part, but still...

Promising forwards:
Klingberg, Cormier, Telegin, Machacek, O'Dell (plus Scheifele and Lowry from the 2011 draft).

Promising defensmen:
Postma, Redmond, Kulda (plus Serville and Yuen from the 2011 draft)

Both those lists look a lot better than Carrozzi, Pasquale, Mannino and FPW. Kasdorf was picked in 2011 but he wasn't really on anyone's radar at all (whereas Yuen, Serville, Lowry and Scheifele were all well regarded to some extent).

Well , Scheifele and Lowry of course don't come into the equation or your pertain to your statement. The fact is Atlanta was horrible at drafting and 3 years later we see just how bad the system was , barren is the right word but that applies to all positions .

Postma has played well this year and can be a plus bottom end D , but that is a pathetic net return imo .

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
Here's Niks goal from last game, couldnt see it anywhere. I somehow made mooseheads blue in the process...
c10e0a299402f036ea1b596d06cae6e3.gif

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm not even sure how Ehlers was able to get enough height on that, given how close to the net he was. Impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad