Winnipeg Jets Hockey Operations

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I doubt Little will give up his $10.6 million over the next two years to take a new job.

He doesn't have to give it up. There have been plenty of players like Pronger who have worked in hockey operations departments while still collecting money from LTIR.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Looks like the Flames are joining the Jets now as Canadian teams in disarray.

Looks like the Sens finally moved past this!

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I'm sure a substantial portion of the Jets increase in valuation is influenced by the new regional tv deal with TSN that kicked in a little over a year ago. From what I had heard, the old deal only paid TNSE $7 - $10 million annually. Talk about a steal for TSN.

The new deal, again from what I have heard, is closer to the annual $33 million that Ottawa receives for their regional rights, than that original deal the Jets had with TSN.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm sure a substantial portion of the Jets increase in valuation is influenced by the new regional tv deal with TSN that kicked in a little over a year ago. From what I had heard, the old deal was only paid TNSE $7 - $10 million annually. Talk about a steal for TSN.

The new deal, again from what I have heard, is closer to the annual $33 million that Ottawa receives for their regional rights, than that original deal the Jets had with TSN.

You throw in National TV revenue and the Jets are close to having their entire team payroll paid for via TV contracts. They probably get atleast $30 million a year from that.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You throw in National TV revenue and the Jets are close to having their entire team payroll paid for via TV contracts. They probably get atleast $30 million a year from that.
But according to Bettman if we don't have complete sellouts every game it won't work here. :loony:It works in Arizona in a 5,000 seat university arena though.:laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But according to Bettman if we don't have complete sellouts every game it won't work here. :loony:It works in Arizona in a 5,000 seat university arena though.:laugh:

To be fair league revenues are significantly more diverse then they were back then. But I think it was a good amount of rhetoric to help sales for TNSE. The team is definitely healthier selling out then not. But they aren't nearly dependent on gate.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
22nd most valuable franchise in the smallest market.

The number seem so far off from Forbes, who had the Jets pegged at $575 million last year. Now some of the Jets value is in other business holdings, but if you are talking about Jets and Canada Life Centre, I'm pretty sure they are not worth $100 million less than what Fenway Sports paid for the Pittsburgh Penguins, who are selling out an 18 000 seat rink, with some of the best local TV numbers, and the PPG Paints arena. I guarantee if the Jets were put up for sale, no one is stepping up to pay $805 million for them. The numbers seem skewed. NHL revenues are expect to rise by about $600 million, there is no new TV money, maybe the Jets got a better local deal, but that means squat, not anywhere close to the $230 million discrepancy between Sportico and Forbes numbers. Jets are bottom 7 in revenue earning teams, luckily hockey has taken a hit in California or they would be even lower. When Ottawa goes up for sale, you'll get a better idea of what the Jets are worth, and that's a franchise that has more potential with a downtown arena.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardian17

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The number seem so far off from Forbes, who had the Jets pegged at $575 million last year. Now some of the Jets value is in other business holdings, but if you are talking about Jets and Canada Life Centre, I'm pretty sure they are not worth $100 million less than what Fenway Sports paid for the Pittsburgh Penguins, who are selling out an 18 000 seat rink, with some of the best local TV numbers, and the PPG Paints arena. I guarantee if the Jets were put up for sale, no one is stepping up to pay $805 million for them. The numbers seem skewed. NHL revenues are expect to rise by about $600 million, there is no new TV money, maybe the Jets got a better local deal, but that means squat, not anywhere close to the $230 million discrepancy between Sportico and Forbes numbers. Jets are bottom 7 in revenue earning teams, luckily hockey has taken a hit in California or they would be even lower. When Ottawa goes up for sale, you'll get a better idea of what the Jets are worth, and that's a franchise that has more potential with a downtown arena.
I don't know what they have to gain by skewing the numbers but anyway you look at it Chipman thought the NHL could work in Winnipeg and took a big chance and has proved everyone he was right.:thumbu:

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
The value of the Coyotes is the Phoenix market Being the 5th largest in the US.

looks like the bottom 11 teams in the NHL last year on average wouldn’t have sold out Winnipegs arena either. These other revenue streams must be flooding in to have the cap going up the way some are predicting.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad