Player Discussion: Winnipeg Jets Defense

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
No way that happens.

How do you do that to a guy who has been such a team player. He's being suppressed from the NHL (I think he is an everyday player). He worked hard all season and basically led the Moose and you are going to give him a 2 way contract?

If hes not in the orgs plans I think they will give him the opportunity to move on.

Agreed. They give him a one-way and let him compete for a spot or they cut him loose.

My guess is they likely want Ville and Stanley in next year if they move on from a couple vets. There would be a PB spot available for Capo imo.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Agreed. They give him a one-way and let him compete for a spot or they cut him loose.

My guess is they likely want Ville and Stanley in next year if they move on from a couple vets. There would be a PB spot available for Capo imo.
Jets might be in a tough spot - I think Dillon point total this year will price him out of Winnipeg, wouldn't be surprised if he gets a big contract from a place like Toronto or Philadelphia - like 6m range

DeMelo as a right shot should be a significant raise too... really hope we pay it and buyout Schmidt

Ive been waiting for the Jets to use Samberg on the right side and Stan thrives - hopefully it continues to work - would fix a lot of issues

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Jets might be in a tough spot - I think Dillon point total this year will price him out of Winnipeg, wouldn't be surprised if he gets a big contract from a place like Toronto or Philadelphia - like 6m range

DeMelo as a right shot should be a significant raise too... really hope we pay it and buyout Schmidt

Ive been waiting for the Jets to use Samberg on the right side and Stan thrives - hopefully it continues to work - would fix a lot of issues

Yeah I expect both Dillion and Schmidt to be gone amd replaced by Stanley and Ville. They need to keep DeMelo.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Thanks for posting images my grandmother would be able to read... :laugh:

Regarding the small sample stuff: there's a much larger sample of Scheifele with and without Ehlers that suggests they should play together for make benefit glorious team of Jets. There's also a huge sample of Scheifele and Connor together that shows the opposite.

Also, the 3 defensemen on the list with similar deployment are Stanley, Schmidt and Samberg and Stanley's currently 3rd amongst them in xGF% and 2nd in GF% (but goals are more variable than a shot-based stat like Corsi or xG).

Stanley hasn't been a disaster in that 3rd pairing role, so that's at least a positive. When I was talking about sunk costs yesterday, you don't have to get zero return on your investment to make it a bad investment...spending all that the Jets have on Stanley including draft capital, 250+ pro games of development in the AHL and NHL, losing other defensemen on waivers to protect him...all for your 3rd best 6th defenseman? Eesh...that's throwing good money after bad.
I bet your grandma and I have similar knowledge on how to resize a picture in a post lol

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on the sunk cost thing. While I see what you're saying, I again feel like the org had a better idea on player development than I do. I rarely watch the moose, never watch practices and have zero insight into players' off ice work ethic or attitude. The guys who make these decisions are around the players all the time. They like Logan for whatever reason... and he looks like he's hopefully turning into an every day NHLer

That doesn't mean that they're automatically right all the time, but I think there's more that goes into how they rank their prospects than we're privy to

Reactions: TS Quint

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
No way that happens.

How do you do that to a guy who has been such a team player. He's being suppressed from the NHL (I think he is an everyday player). He worked hard all season and basically led the Moose and you are going to give him a 2 way contract?

If hes not in the orgs plans I think they will give him the opportunity to move on.
That would be my thought as well. Sign him, give him a shot, and waive/release/let him negotiate a trade. He's at least good enough to be some teams #6.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No way that happens.

Yes, but I think they give him another 1 way contract. We have only 4 Dmen under contract for next year.

Reactions: Jet

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I bet your grandma and I have similar knowledge on how to resize a picture in a post lol

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on the sunk cost thing. While I see what you're saying, I again feel like the org had a better idea on player development than I do. I rarely watch the moose, never watch practices and have zero insight into players' off ice work ethic or attitude. The guys who make these decisions are around the players all the time. They like Logan for whatever reason... and he looks like he's hopefully turning into an every day NHLer

That doesn't mean that they're automatically right all the time, but I think there's more that goes into how they rank their prospects than we're privy to
Although look at Esyimont goes on tb and is already looking great. So it would not be the first time we put a good player on waivers. I’d rather esyimont than Iaffalo.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Oh yeah there are definitely other factors at play - but I maintain that one of the big factors with Stanley is the sunk costs.

Reactions: Buffdog

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I see Capo as a liability in his end and that isn't only my opinion from watching him play.
My buddy has season tickets and says Capo is worse than Myers in his own zone.
I have also heard/read comments by ICDave about his D deficiencies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Although look at Esyimont goes on tb and is already looking great. So it would not be the first time we put a good player on waivers. I’d rather esyimont than Iaffalo.
I liked him too, but I think he's getting different usage there than here

Reactions: WolfHouse

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I see Capo as a liability in his end and that isn't only my opinion from watching him play.
My buddy has season tickets and says Capo is worse than Myers in his own zone.
I have also heard/read comments by ICDave about his D deficiencies.
So explain his plus minus being so much higher than the rest of the team?

Reactions: KingBogo

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Favorable deployment against weak match ups due to him being the only offensive threat from the back end for most of the season? Not to mention the several times he made bad changes and didn't receive a minus for the resulting goal against.

I feel like I've seen you use the "I don't need numbers I watch them play" line before, apologies if I'm wrong. I've watched most of the Moose games this season. Capo has been a tire fire in his own zone. Honestly he was less mistake prone in his time on the Jets.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Favorable deployment against weak match ups due to him being the only offensive threat from the back end for most of the season? Not to mention the several times he made bad changes and didn't receive a minus for the resulting goal against.

I feel like I've seen you use the "I don't need numbers I watch them play" line before, apologies if I'm wrong. I've watched most of the Moose games this season. Capo has been a tire fire in his own zone. Honestly he was less mistake prone in his time on the Jets.
Can’t say I watched all the Moose games but I’ve seen a handful and in those games he has been one of the best players on the ice.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Can’t say I watched all the Moose games but I’ve seen a handful and in those games he has been one of the best players on the ice.
He's been fantastic offensively all year, the amount of times I've seen him stripped in the defensive zone when he's the last man back, pass the puck to an opposing player in the slot, make a bad line change or read has been far too often. He's fine with dealing with a rush being in the right place but when the opposition is set up and he gets the puck he's gone brain dead a lot and either panic shovels it or waits too long looking for a pass and gets stripped. Chisholm was glaringly better than him during his conditioning stint and now Heinola is the go to defenseman.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Not going to waste my time on a player that hasn't done anything in the bigs and never will.
He'll be 27 when next season starts. If he's an everyday NHLer, he'd be one by now.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Josh ends the year up with the elites (deservedly) according to The Athletic's player cards rankings, ranked as #4 in the Central with a +20 rating.

Pretty sweet and well-deserved turnaround from showing up among the Leagues Worst Contracts a few years ago.

Nik is the next best Jet at a +9, and quite a few others make into the + category, including Samberg, Monahan, Nino, 55, 81 and 91.

Nice showing, and further evidence if any required of the importance of team defence and depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad