Post-Game Talk: Winning Is Good - Jets 3 Sens 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I want Pmo to say something, take the fine. Stick up for your cappy. It's ridiculous the inconsistency, bush league central.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Yep. They should just right out and ****ing say it: we have different standards for different players. Malkin was pissed, targeted our Captain (who was ineligible to be hit), then jumped into him, striking his head.

When I watch the hit frame by frame, from different angles I would agree that the hit was late (so penalty deserved) but was also likely unavoidable. He was heading for the puck in front of the net, which was swept away and now he is on a collision course with Wheeler. When impact is made, I see contact with both head and shoulder, and Malkin's skates are still on the ice. It is possible the collision forced Malkin up into the air, not that he jumped at Wheeler's head. And Wheeler was bent over, while Malkin is a very large man. He can't make himself smaller any more than Buff can, which is why both players' hits can be so devastating without there necessarily being a desire to injure another player.

None of this is conclusive, but I can why the DoPS ruled as they did. It may not be the correct ruling, but it is IMO a defensible ruling.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Bottom Line: Malkin didn't get a phone call because he's MALKIN. Trouba got one because he plays for Small Market Winnipeg and isn't a superstar. That's the actual difference. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just out to lunch. I mean really, when a guy tries to decapitate someone with their stick and only gets 6 games, You can pretty much without a doubt come to the conclusion that they play favorites with certain markets.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
When I watch the hit frame by frame, from different angles I would agree that the hit was late (so penalty deserved) but was also likely unavoidable. He was heading for the puck in front of the net, which was swept away and now he is on a collision course with Wheeler. When impact is made, I see contact with both head and shoulder, and Malkin's skates are still on the ice. It is possible the collision forced Malkin up into the air, not that he jumped at Wheeler's head. And Wheeler was bent over, while Malkin is a very large man. He can't make himself smaller any more than Buff can, which is why both players' hits can be so devastating without there necessarily being a desire to injure another player.

None of this is conclusive, but I can why the DoPS ruled as they did. It may not be the correct ruling, but it is IMO a defensible ruling.

I saw pretty much direct contact with the head only...and lifting upwards. Not to mention he was no more on a collision course with wheeler than Trouba was with stone, and Trouba's hit was much closer to the puck.

Personally, I'd like to hear the dops explain how they are "very different hits" such that Trouba gets a hearing while malkin gets nuttin. I bet that would be some epic bafflegab.

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I agree, Malkin's was way worse IMO.

Much more malicious, whereas Trouba's was more of a good hit gone bad.

Yeh I think it was pretty clear the intention behind each hit. Malkin's was a bit premeditated and it's not like we've never seen him cross that line. IMO he has no idea where that line is. He is always on one side or another.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
It's a phone hearing, he will get 1 or 2 or maybe even just a fine.

yeah...which would be unfair based upon the precedent set by Malkin and pretty much makes the dops laughable...which it already is but it sucks that our guy is the one getting the punishment.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Would not be surprised to see them throw the book here, in part for the clean hit on Rowney.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
looks like trouba looked away for hit. wasn't intentional to hit head.

that said, you got to be mindful when you hit someone.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
The weird thing with Malkin is earlier that game he took a run at Lowry after a whistle. Pretty clear he was our for blood before that hit on Wheeler.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
You think the only diff is that one guy was hurt and out and other not? Is that what they base it on? If stone was back next shift this would be moot?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Bottom Line: Malkin didn't get a phone call because he's MALKIN. Trouba got one because he plays for Small Market Winnipeg and isn't a superstar. That's the actual difference. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just out to lunch. I mean really, when a guy tries to decapitate someone with their stick and only gets 6 games, You can pretty much without a doubt come to the conclusion that they play favorites with certain markets.

buff plays for a small market team and concussed someone who is still out and didn't get a suspension. who by the way plays for pitts. and please spare me that they let the buff hit go to even out the malkin hit if you think that is the reason.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

Can't wait for the rest of the BS by the DOPS to surface. Result of hit is prbly what crosses the line and it shouldn't be, suspend the action not the result, not to mention star power which the NHL will never admit but the evidence seems to be there.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Can't wait for the rest of the BS by the DOPS to surface. Result of hit is prbly what crosses the line and it shouldn't be, suspend the action not the result, not to mention star power which the NHL will never admit but the evidence seems to be there.

Wonder if they didn't want Malkin to miss hockey day in America;)

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
buff plays for a small market team and concussed someone who is still out and didn't get a suspension. who by the way plays for pitts. and please spare me that they let the buff hit go to even out the malkin hit if you think that is the reason.

Buff didn't deliberately target the head so spare me this nonsense that his and Malkins actions are remotely similar.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If anyone hit Crosby the way Malkin hit Wheeler, they'd be looking at a minimum of 5 games - more if Crosby was out with a concussion. The DoPS is out to lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad