Post-Game Talk: Winning Is Good - Jets 3 Sens 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

Nah, despite the egregiousness of both hits (Malkin and Trouba), at least Malkin made an effort to mask the hit by taking more of the body. Trouba has no defense. Both should have been suspended, but I'm not surprised by this.

Sorry, but malkin didn't take any of the body. Certainly not in any way that makes Trouba's hit more egregious. Plus he launched himself upwards. Malkin's hit was at least as bad if not worse and he didn't even get a phone call. I don't think there was any intent on Trouba's part to head shot the guy. His body just happened to angle such that Trouba missed the shoulder and caught the head instead.

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
This is like 2 vehicles going through a red light camera speeding at the exact same time but only 1 gets a ticket because it's a sports car and the other is a truck . You can't just pick and choose randomly who gets suspended , if it's a head shot it's a head shot . If Trouba is smart he should bring the video of Malkin's hit and have them explain why Malkin didn't even get a call .

Yup.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Sorry, but malkin didn't take any of the body. Certainly not in any way that makes Trouba's hit more egregious. Plus he launched himself upwards. Malkin's hit was at least as bad if not worse and he didn't even get a phone call.

Trouba's hit was immediately after Stone played the puck.
Malkin's was over a second after, which is an eternity on the ice.
both were trying to hurt the other player.
one could arguably be said to have been finishing a cheque.
the other? it was to hurt/harm

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
It puts DoPs in a bad spot: the Malkin hit should have been punished, and so should the Trouba hit. If you punish Trouba's hit, then how do you justify not even a fine for Malkin on a predatory hit where he left his feet?

I think Trouba will get 1 or 2 games, personally. Malkin should have received the same.

dude, the DoP is a walking, living bad spot.
players are partially responsible for this. this is what they wanted negotiated into the CBA.
it's like an old lady fending off 2 muggers by smacking them with her purse. what does that really stop?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Doesn't Ottawa want us to beat Toronto ? Maybe they could phone and say just a fine is punishment enough , no suspension required . LOL .

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
dude, the DoP is a walking, living bad spot.
players are partially responsible for this. this is what they wanted negotiated into the CBA.
it's like an old lady fending off 2 muggers by smacking them with her purse. what does that really stop?
Depends what she has in her purse and maybe the muggers are wusses . :laugh:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
It's pretty silly how TSN ran with the whole 'woe is Sens' story and completely neglected to point out that you can't jam the goalies pad into the net anyway.

McKenzie did mention it post game. But the whole netwok ignored that part ever since

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
No, but both deserve some time off, or neither of them do. Consistency I am happy to support.

I disagree with that. It is time to do away with hits to the head. We know enough about concussions to know how crippling they are to humans. Any league that condones that behaviour by not acting swiftly decisively and evenly against them deserves the eventual liability they will face.

Malkin's was an intentional headshot if you watch it closely. Everything he does is showing that intent. He should get at least 5 for it.

Trouba, while you could make an argument he wasn't targeting the head exclusively was dangerous and careless. He should get 2 games.

Time for this idiocy to be a thing of the past.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Jet: I'm in favour of removing head shots from the game, to the point where I feel that Trouba should get a game or two. I was simply saying that the lack of consistency in enforcing the rules regarding head shots is incredibly poor. Malkin should have been suspended as well. If he wasn't suspended and Trouba is, then there's something rotten in Denmark.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I disagree with that. It is time to do away with hits to the head. We know enough about concussions to know how crippling they are to humans. Any league that condones that behaviour by not acting swiftly decisively and evenly against them deserves the eventual liability they will face...

Right...so you agree with YWG (and myself.). :)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Jet: I'm in favour of removing head shots from the game, to the point where I feel that Trouba should get a game or two. I was simply saying that the lack of consistency in enforcing the rules regarding head shots is incredibly poor. Malkin should have been suspended as well. If he wasn't suspended and Trouba is, then there's something rotten in Denmark.

Oh yeah, I am totally with you. The only issue I took with your comment is that you were good with both of them NOT being disciplined. I understand where you came from but for the love of God suspending someone for 2 games for a crosscheck but letting another attempt brain damage with no penalty just seems insane to me.

Even if you do something that breaks another players leg, the long term impact to that player is nothing compared to the lifetime damage head injuries can inflict. Surely the NHL has to realize that by now? It's stupifying to me that they treat acts like the one that Malkin committed with nonchalant statements. It's disgusting and I'd say it leads to further violence. We saw it in the game yesterday.

(also I know we are on the same side of this haha)

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I disagree with that. It is time to do away with hits to the head. We know enough about concussions to know how crippling they are to humans. Any league that condones that behaviour by not acting swiftly decisively and evenly against them deserves the eventual liability they will face.

Malkin's was an intentional headshot if you watch it closely. Everything he does is showing that intent. He should get at least 5 for it.

Trouba, while you could make an argument he wasn't targeting the head exclusively was dangerous and careless. He should get 2 games.

Time for this idiocy to be a thing of the past.

I agree. And if the league does not enforce dangerous hits, we go back to vigilante justice and that's not good either.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Oh yeah, I am totally with you. The only issue I took with your comment is that you were good with both of them NOT being disciplined. I understand where you came from but for the love of God suspending someone for 2 games for a crosscheck but letting another attempt brain damage with no penalty just seems insane to me.

Even if you do something that breaks another players leg, the long term impact to that player is nothing compared to the lifetime damage head injuries can inflict. Surely the NHL has to realize that by now? It's stupifying to me that they treat acts like the one that Malkin committed with nonchalant statements. It's disgusting and I'd say it leads to further violence. We saw it in the game yesterday.

(also I know we are on the same side of this haha)

That's not what I was arguing - I was only arguing for consistency in their responses to these hits. I still think both deserve time off - headshots are wrong. I could have worded it better, but the long and short of it for me is: be consistent in the rulings.

If Trouba gets suspended, then I have no idea how to explain the lack of disciplinary action regarding Malkin.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Context, man. Ottawa would have taken 1st in the Atlantic after Montreal had that ridiculous start. Then Stone and Hoffman are out, after Ryan was already declared out for a couple of weeks. The Sens were just starting to get some attention for their resiliency and the wheels fall off in 24 hours.

I agree about the goal, it's not just about the puck crossing the line, you also have to decide if Pages shoved Hellebuyk's pad, which he did, but that doesn't always negate a goal.

I agree that it was a ****** night for the Senators and I think that was a good top story--after Aoston Motthows falling down--I just meant adding the 'bad luck non-goal' on top of it is a bit disingenuous when there was a very strong case for goaltender interference, at the very least. Could've at least mentioned that fact, is all.

(I'm talking about Sportscentre; we didn't see the panel post game as they went straight to the Scotties.)

By the way, who did the game call on TSN5?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I agree that it was a ****** night for the Senators and I think that was a good top story--after Aoston Motthows falling down--I just meant adding the 'bad luck non-goal' on top of it is a bit disingenuous when there was a very strong case for goaltender interference, at the very least. Could've at least mentioned that fact, is all.

(I'm talking about Sportscentre; we didn't see the panel post game as they went straight to the Scotties.)

By the way, who did the game call on TSN5?

The panel did have a post game. I watched it. And McKenzie said if the goal was allowed then the Jets would have a legitimate beef about whether or not Hellebuyck was pished into the net. Can't remember if it was on GCL or if I switched back to regular TV at that point.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

:facepalm:

Yes. The player Trouba hit actually had the puck at some point. He also didn't jump into the hit. In fact, while Trouba could claim he mistimed the hit, and that led to the hit being bad, Malkin did everything in his power to deliver a bad hit.

I really try hard to be objective here. The NHL is just making it really hard for me.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

07-minister.jpg

I really try hard to be objective here. The NHL is just making it really hard for me.

Yep. They should just right out and ****ing say it: we have different standards for different players. Malkin was pissed, targeted our Captain (who was ineligible to be hit), then jumped into him, striking his head.

I will not argue that Trouba shouldn't get punished - he clipped Stone. But there's no way that you can reasonable explain how Malkin got off without punishment, unless you're the guy I pictured above.

****ing horrible lack of consistency in thought process by the DoPs.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
:facepalm:

Yes. The player Trouba hit actually had the puck at some point. He also didn't jump into the hit. In fact, while Trouba could claim he mistimed the hit, and that led to the hit being bad, Malkin did everything in his power to deliver a bad hit.

IMG_1779.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad