Post-Game Talk: Winning Is Better (Jets 5 Nucks 1)

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yeah, that's about right. Like I said, all that game showed me is that we're a legitimate good team this yeah, even with room for improvement. The amelioration of the Jets from "up-and-comer" has finally happened.

Your typo caused me to read this in a Boston accent :)

Not only are we on the way up, but we are at the very beginnings of the journey still with the average age of the team and the prospects still in the pipeline. It's a great place to be.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
it seems like scheifele will be on hockey central in a few minutes. if anybody interested.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Scrappy first period last night, Jets were definitely slow out of the gate and didn't seem ready to play at high pace. They just got cycled to death and Vancouver was really aggressive with their D pinching to keep the puck in, although other than the goal they didn't really give up anything too dangerous, other than the Vanek chance maybe. Second and third the Jets were far and away the superior team.

Much better distribution of ice time, getting the CLT line on against the Sedins more changed the game considerably. That line was easily the Jets best line coming out of the D zone all night. Great support by Lowry and I thought Tanev was the team's best winger along the wall in moving the puck effectively on the breakout, he had a stellar night, one of his best games of the season imo.

I personally didn't love Trouba's play on the 1st PP unit, thought he was a bit too static at times and there didn't seem to be as much movement with the unit as a whole. Second unit was dynamic, Myers made some intelligent plays with the puck and off it.

Poolman was ok, obviously not going to be critical of a guy in that situation but the Jets missed Buff last night, especially in that 1st period.

Thought the Jets were guilty of puck watching a lot last night, hope they address this in practice and sort out some communication, again an area where Buff helps by being so vocal. Morrissey got caught on the Boeser goal despite the Jets being in pretty good shape defensively, despite the terrible turnover by Laine.

giphy.gif

The Vanek chance was much worse, granted he came off the bench and jumped right into the play but 3 guys playing the puck carrier despite being in ok shape defensively. Armia falling and being out of the play didn't help but just an utter fail by Perreault on awareness of what was happening.

giphy.gif

Something positive, 4th goal was textbook on how CLT supports the puck as well as how smart a player Morrissey is (if Buff gets into this position he's vilified). Tanev helping down low to support as F1, Lowry makes that read and takes up the position on the wall, key to the whole play was how Copp supports below the puck when Lowry breaks out of the zone instead of breaking up ice and blowing the zone. That play likely doesn't happen if he does. Also great read by Morrissey seeing 3 Canucks trapped below the goal line and joining the rush knowing Tanev is still deep to cover if the puck is turned over.

giphy.gif

Another 2 points for the Jets, good stuff.

suihkukone

Mar 12, 2017
Denmark
Thanks for these Ducky 10. Interesting to see the difference in play between Armia and Laine when both fell and were stripped off the puck. First engaged in play right away and Laine stood like a mitten there.

Reactions: Ducky10

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Right? Like I alluded to earlier, everyone except on this forum, the WPG / TB game was "an exciting battle of two top teams" with "the upstart Jets showing they belong, going the distance on the road against a very strong Tampa Bay team" in "a showcase of some of the game's best young talent" and all that.

But you'd never have known from the GDT that day.
Alpha, I really think that our fans will eventually adjust to having a good team and develop confidence in management and in the long term outlook. I understand how some fans here find it hard to recover from JETS PTSD. It has been painful to be a Jets fan for a long time. Many of us a over it though. GJG!

Reactions: AlphaLackey

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Wow....looks like the oilers are gonna end up with another top 3 lottery pick if not the first...what a !
shame

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
It's not panicking. It's called shortening the bench. All coaches do this when they are trailing. And according to the Dellow article on the Athletic, Maurice is one of the most conservative this season in the entire NHL at doing this. He does it less than almost every other team.
I'm fine with shortening the bench, but play whomever is playing the best that night more. Seems way too often that he shortens guys out even when they are having a very good game (for their standards), and puts his top guys out there time and again for extended stretches despite the fact that they are obviously tired and/or playing crappy that night. That's the job of a coach -- to recognize who is having a good game & to reward them for it, and to recognize who is obviously off that night & to play them accordingly (even if its some of your traditionally best players).

Reactions: Ducky10 and surixon

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Yes. And if he had a decent shot, he could be an actual goal scoring threat too.
I think he could be a solid 15-20 goal scorer if he stays healthy a whole season. He has been hampered by injuries and played a defensive role for a lot of his time in the NHL, but he has the toolset to create offense and sometimes he looks like a puck magnet out there.

Reactions: DashingDane

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I'm my ideal world things would be flipped. There would be a dedicated thread for negativity instead ;)
There's nothing wrong with a little bit of "realism" tossed in to counter the over the top positivity now & then. Don't see a lot of negativity in these threads really, just some doses of realism & a lot of folks who would like to believe that the Jets are as good as they look some nights, and who know we indeed do the talent on paper, but are still fearful that the old Jets that show up every once in a while will start showing up more frequently

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Scrappy first period last night, Jets were definitely slow out of the gate and didn't seem ready to play at high pace. They just got cycled to death and Vancouver was really aggressive with their D pinching to keep the puck in, although other than the goal they didn't really give up anything too dangerous, other than the Vanek chance maybe. Second and third the Jets were far and away the superior team.

(Removed the rest for brevity)

Excellent post Ducky10!

This place would be better off with more posts like this!

Reactions: Saintb and Ducky10

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
honestly, this could be a model which other teams are watching closely.

If you have the depth that the Jets do, then why not? Not many teams could match our top-6 in terms of top-end talent. You could argue that Ehlers or Laine could be moved down to the 3rd line, and Perreault moved up to the 2nd, but neither Ehlers or Laine have shown the sheer capability to control and push play forward like Frenchie can. Frenchie at least makes the 4th line solvent and effective, which is less a 4th line, and more a 3.5 line.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Wow....looks like the oilers are gonna end up with another top 3 lottery pick if not the first...what a !
shame

Aint worried about them getting another top 3 pick. Even with new management and coaching they will find away to screw it up. I just feel sorry for the draftee.
79bc3200-e936-11e4-a099-a7ed965e4f0b_CC6fP7wVIAAx6jl.jpg

Last edited:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Yes that is a great example of a very mobile defenseman.
One thing in particular that I love about Morrissey's game is that he looks for opportunities to skate the puck out of his own zone. You don't really see much of that from the Jets' defensemen.

I took a look at the Canucks' GDT, and you'd never guess who made it (and as expected, he basically threw us under the bus before the game had even begun). Must have been a rough game to watch for him... :laugh:

Reactions: Ducky10

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
One thing in particular that I love about Morrissey's game is that he looks for opportunities to skate the puck out of his own zone. You don't really see much of that from the Jets' defensemen.

I took a look at the Canucks' GDT, and you'd never guess who made it (and as expected, he basically threw us under the bus before the game had even begun). Must have been a rough game to watch for him... :laugh:

What is with that guy (not Morrissey)? It's like the city of Winnipeg kicked his dog and stole his girl, or vice versa. Dude needs to grow up.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
By the way, why is the ice so bad so often in Winnipeg. With such a fast and skilled team, it would be nice if they didn't have to play spongey.

I was at the game last night, and the bad ice was pretty obvious -- whole sequences of play where the puck just hopped over sticks and no one from either team could control it, particularly around centre-ice and just off the hash marks. Connor's fan-and-fall was an epic example of this factor, IMO.

It felt like a Monday-night game, started slowly, despite the goals, and the Jets were sluggish, especially the top line. Schefs fought the puck all game and Wheeler was rarely dangerous and sometimes even bumbling, and no one but Morrissey and Kuli (early on) seemed to be able to play the puck. Ehlers was Ehlers, and that snipe, off-balance and with no time to set up, was a thing of beauty -- there's a handful of players in the league who make that shot. We're lucky to have enough game-breakers on this squad that even when one or two lines are off, the team is still dangerous.

Other quick thoughts -- Laine sped up after the first, but he's playing in slow-motion, lie a kid who's still growing. Maybe he is. Little was a bit off too -- wonder how MP85 would work on that line. Poolman looked fine, Myers made some very strong plays round his own net, intercepting passes and pinning Gagnon (Vanek?) to the net with an easy goal within reach. Connor and Ehlers with some strong checking and picked passes, JMo turning things around quickly and calmly as always -- in fact, I noticed hw much of the Canucks play was skewing to the right D when 44 was on, and wondered if he's become sufficiently well-known a commodity that players look to play past him now.

Helly good, Armia good (and god-like on some plays) and TONS of non-calls on interference against the Jets -- Canucks were clearly trying to slow them down.

Overall impression was that the Jets are now able to take control of games from most teams -- their speed and forecheck and ability to turn nothing into dangerous chances makes them hard to beat in a way I've never seen. It was a one-team game from the third Jets goal -- so much so that my friend, a Canucks fan, has vowed to add the Jets as his second team.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I was at the game last night, and the bad ice was pretty obvious -- whole sequences of play where the puck just hopped over sticks and no one from either team could control it, particularly around centre-ice and just off the hash marks. Connor's fan-and-fall was an epic example of this factor, IMO.

I was there as well and I recall at one point the puck came out from behind the net back to the blue line and bounced over no fewer than 3 players sticks. It was ridiculous.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This team should be unstoppable at home, because Mo can get the matchups he wants with his fourth line. That's been the big difference in this team.

They were putting up points, but I didn't think the team was playing very well until Matty P came back, then it was like they turned a switch, and have played outstanding since.

Digging the Avy flip Tom :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad