Post-Game Talk: Winning Is Better (Jets 5 Nucks 1)

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
No kidding. I thought we played a very strong game against Tampa. They looked a bit more polished but as an older more experienced team its what you'd expect.

Still some room for growth but our fancy stats have been pretty strong the last month or so.

You are correct that something we all have to keep in mind, even with our success this year, is that we are still a very young and inexperienced team. Sometimes those wily old veterans find a way to outsmart us. But we have time and youth on our side, and I'll bet on that long term every time.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
No kidding. I thought we played a very strong game against Tampa. They looked a bit more polished but as an older more experienced team its what you'd expect.

Still some room for growth but our fancy stats have been pretty strong the last month or so.

Sure, I mean, the better team won that game, no doubt about it. In particular, the way they dominated the blue line and frustrated the Jet's zone entries was pretty damn impressive. I have a hunch that we'll see a different story when the Bolts come into town January 30th.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Things are far from balance as long as Perreault&Armia sees the ice ~10min, and Copp&Tanev ~15min. Biased point of view or not, it's just plain stupid. There's not a single area where PLA wouldn't perform massively better than CLT. I'm so tired to be negative...

I think a defensive team perspective, is the reason that CLT sees so much time. They are doing a very good job of holding the other team off and wearing them down, while providing a little offense.

PLA is no slouch regarding Defence, but provide much more offensive punch. I think it is going to depend on our opponent and how the game is playing out.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Sure, I mean, the better team won that game, no doubt about it. In particular, the way they dominated the blue line and frustrated the Jet's zone entries was pretty damn impressive. I have a hunch that we'll see a different story when the Bolts come into town January 30th.

The game was basically a toss up. They won because they scored a PP goal and the Jets did not. Remember we were on the road against a relatively rested team with the best record in the league.

IMG_0264.jpg

Reactions: AlphaLackey

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Prepare for continued disappointment. From Maurice's comments post game it doesn't sound like things are going to change anytime soon. CLT line is just so darn effective. I'm very comfortable with these lines going forward. I love having a fourth line that kicks ASS
Yeah i know. I could be fine with it, but i just dont trust Mo at all. Because for example, every time when the Jets are goal or two behind he will panic. F-words starts to fly and his "old school trigger" goes on. And when that happens, guess which line sits on bench no matter how they have performed ? Overall the usage of the lines goes to shit every time when he's panicking, and that happens a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Yeah i know. I could be fine with it, but i just dont trust Mo at all. Because for example, every time when the Jets are goal or two behind he will panic. F-words starts to fly and his "old school trigger" goes on. And when that happens, guess which line sits on bench no matter how they have performed ? Overall the usage of the lines goes to **** every time when he's panicking, and that happens a lot.

It's not panicking. It's called shortening the bench. All coaches do this when they are trailing. And according to the Dellow article on the Athletic, Maurice is one of the most conservative this season in the entire NHL at doing this. He does it less than almost every other team.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Trouba moved puck more on first power play opportunity than "what the buff" has done whole season. Whole team was more balanced because no one would have to "baby sit" and watch when WTB will leave position. Jets could play with speed and quick decisions because WTB was not on ice to slow puck movement. Jets forecheck was better than whole season because all defenseman did what they supposed to do, and that is support forecheck not push all the time.

Canucks where able to put too much pressure early on, but Jets survived because no one tried to force turnover with leaving position.

Little have had troubles in his own zone coverage lately, hope that is temporary thing.

Poolman was major upgrade with his mobility, attitude, positioning and simple decision makings. Sure at times he was almost over playing because of excitement for playing in NHL. Hendricks (Perreault) goal came because of Poolman who read the play when Scheifele was going to the bench and Poolman covered center for forecheck to keep the puck in.

Poolman might not be ready for regular job in NHL but clearly he is number 3 on right handed dept chart behind Trouba and Myers.

Cant wait for more power play opportunities with Trouba on the point. Now Jets need to switch Laine back to where he belongs from the slot, because Trouba can feed the puck to him.

Laine with Ehlers on same line won't work and Wheeler has great chemistry with Little so there should be easy solution for getting more out from top 6 with Wheeler and Laine changing places. I know Scheifele, Connor and Wheeler has played great against other teams top lines, but with that move top 6 would be more balanced on defensive side also, and that is not a bad thing when they play on the road.

Lowry line needs to just put puck in deep like (Mathias-Lowry-Armia) they did last season, that did it successfully in 3rd period to keep Sedin line in their own zone.

How underrated not just in Winnipeg but in whole NHL is Josh Morrissey??? To me he is one of the best two way defenseman in league, because of his hockey IQ. Jets should offer him 8 year extension, because bridge deal will cost much after couple years when its over.

Next games challenge will be tougher but with focus on puck movement and skating and little corrections from forwards in own end the wins will come.
Don't agree with your take on Buff , he has been very good this year . As i said in the GDT , we are a worster team without Buff . I like Poolman too but he has only played a couple of NHL games so i need to see more of him before i say he is just fantastic . I will say Buff isn't our best defenseman , that would be Morrissey , which is a very good thing to be able to say .

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
The game was basically a toss up. They won because they scored a PP goal and the Jets did not. Remember we were on the road against a relatively rested team with the best record in the league.

IMG_0264.jpg

Yeah, that's about right. Like I said, all that game showed me is that we're a legitimate good team this yeah, even with room for improvement. The amelioration of the Jets from "up-and-comer" has finally happened.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
PLA means three steadily rolling scoring lines, with good 4th line. No need for actual shutdown line.

CLT means 2 scoring lines, with good shutdown line(which you can't always use) and misused "secret weapon"(4th line)

First option is of course far superior because 1. You have tools for it. 2. You can roll over your opponent with your top9 home and on the road exactly same way, without needing to worry too much about machups. Not all teams can afford that kind of simplicity. That is the true "winning formula".
Let's see...

What makes Copp-Hendricks-Tanev a good fourth line? More importantly, why do we label the current fourth line as "misused", when it already produces way better than any fourth line in the league, perhaps even some third lines? Why is it not good, great or even elite?

Why are you ignoring the fact that Lowry's line will be used to shut the other team down, which would negatively impact the production from Perreault and Armia? More to the point, when three of your worst offensive players form a shutdown line that is posting great results, why should that line be broken up? Is it not better to let those players play their game in the way which suits all three, instead of mixing and matching them?

Why would the need for a shutdown line suddenly disappear after going from four functioning lines to three? Last I checked, most of our opponents are suffering from the fact that we have our current fourth line winning their matchups that are often much tougher than the ones that the rest of the team gets? Is that not what we should abuse to no end? Do we assume that the opponents adjust to our new setup of three lines by doing the same themselves?

I kind of see your point, but I also think that you are simplifying things way too much. We are running four lines now, and we are also having great success doing so. Why disrupt that?

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
My take. Neutral fans and the media look at the Jets as a whole. And as a whole we are a very nice collection of parts. They are not getting caught up in who played with who, and who got the most ice time. Many on this board judge the Jets through the lens of their favourite player. Anything other than a perceived optimal usage for their favourite is seen as a screw up by the coach. Everyone is counting up minutes and pulling whatever stats they can find to support their position and yells misuse even after a dominating win.
Since I've been somewhat vocal about Perreault's usage of late, I'll assume I'm part of this. I don't think it's losing sight of who the Jets are as a whole to discuss one of the Jets top players getting traditional 4th line ice time, especially during a 3 game losing streak. That's not pulling a stat to suit a narrative, that's a legitimate question of any coach.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
It's not panicking. It's called shortening the bench. All coaches do this when they are trailing.
Yeah, but does he do it correctly by benching the best offensive talent of the bottom6 ? That kind of coaching is just unforgivable.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Yeah, but does he do it correctly by benching the best offensive talent of the bottom6 ? That kind of coaching is just unforgivable.

He doesn't bench anyone really. And he usually promotes Perreault (the best offensive talent in the bottom 6 by far) to play with the Scheifele line. So I don't know what you're talking about TBH. He keeps the shutdown line intact and tries to match it with the other teams first line to create easier matchups for the top six to score. I think it's a sound strategy.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I wonder if Jets fans aren't ready to full commit yet to the idea of having a great team....I think much of the fan base needs more consistency before they fully embrace that....consistency within games and over longer stretches. I think fans are wondering if a losing streak is coming, if this version of the Jets is for real.

Personally, I am not ready to call them a contender, I need another 20 games or so and at least a couple wins in the playoffs.

Until then however, no reason to enjoy wins on day to day basis...

This pretty much describes me to a T. There are enough worrisome aspects to this team that I question whether they can keep it up when the games get turned up to 11.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
He doesn't bench anyone really. And he usually promotes Perreault (the best offensive talent in the bottom 6 by far) to play with the Scheifele line. So I don't know what you're talking about TBH. He keeps the shutdown line intact and tries to match it with the other teams first line to create easier matchups for the top six to score. I think it's a sound strategy.
Okay, if you say so. I have to say that you sound very much like the Jets new commentator(Boynton was it?) who has lived all his life in rainbowland. :D

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I've seen Maurice double-shift a top 9 centre with the fourth line wingers when he needs more offense. Not sure if he's still doing that.

I'd still be looking to give a tad more ice time to Matty P. He's feasting on his current matchups, so keep his usage similar, but let him play a few more shifts a game.

Reactions: Ducky10

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
I know we have a few Buff haters on this board and I'm glad to say I'm not one of them. Yes he can be a defensive liability and make bone headed plays every now and then but the guy brings a lot to the table, he's a truck out there and cannot be knocked off the puck, he has offensive skills most D-Men wish they had, the guy is loved in the dressing room and helps with keeping morale high and he has the unique attribute where he can control a game on his own. When he is on he can be the best player on the ice and with all these skills I'd rather have him on my team than not. He creates an amount of fear on the ice with his size and his speed, he is a unique package which yes does contain some negative aspects but man I'm glad he's on our team.

On another note I thought Poolman was quietly solid, liked his game and his poise out there, I understand Chiarot shoots left and Poolman right but I feel more comfortable with Poolman out there than Chiarot.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
PLA means three steadily rolling scoring lines, with good 4th line. No need for actual shutdown line.

First of all, your fourth line would not be good. Second of all, CLT goes up against the other team's best line a lot. If you had PLA doing that job (which they would) then they would not be a scoring line, at least not a good one.

CLT means 2 scoring lines, with good shutdown line(which you can't always use) and misused "secret weapon"(4th line)

Why can't they be used? Is the other team not sending out their top line? Also how is the 4th line being mis-used? They play roughly 8-10 minutes 5v5 per game which is completely normal and Perreault & Armia get PP time.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Hey, I've always let the numbers speak for themselves. Just tracking whether the numbers were going to be as awful as last season again. They don't seem to be. Goaltending, fourth line jesus, and CLT actually being what some people believed MLA were last year means we don't have depth problems on F this year.

update (find the biggest difference):

Goals16-1717-18
5v5 w/ Scheifele,Little107-9342-34
5v5 w/o Scheifele,Little49-7122-21
PP and SH58-7133-25
other (4v4, 3v3, EN)32-209-7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Takeaway: Maurice should put more 1st liners in the bottom 6! :sarcasm:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
This team should be unstoppable at home, because Mo can get the matchups he wants with his fourth line. That's been the big difference in this team.

They were putting up points, but I didn't think the team was playing very well until Matty P came back, then it was like they turned a switch, and have played outstanding since.

Yeah, I mean, with all due respect to Armia and Hendricks, there's no doubt that Perreault is the straw that stirs the drink on that line.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
The 1 thing ok 2 things ill say

CLT... Solid line but man i wish they had a goal scorer on that line.

Also about lines... 11 2 1 at home.. Lines are fine.. Its on the road that Id switch it up

ESL CLW PRA CLT

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5