Winning attracting FAs

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
Curious to get some fan perspective (as non-bias as possible) on the impact that this post season playoff run and all of hype inside and outside of the Bell MTS Centre can potentially have on attracting free agents moving forward, if any.

Serious answers only please, the WiFi jokes are old and lame!

EDIT: not just UFAs, but players waiving their NTCs as well

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Being competitive works for old players who still want to win a Cup.

We got Dominik Hasek for peanuts back in 2006 for that very reason.

That's about it.

But it might take more than a first round victory for that to happen.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
I doubt Winnipeg would ever be the choice for any FA with options in front of him.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
It's not about free agents, the free agents you want are the college free agents. It's also about trading for the young stars and which ones will request to be traded to Winnipeg in lieu of our winning.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Why would Winnipeg need to sign a UFA? All that would do is cost them other players and screw-up their cap.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Honestly, who wants UFAs? That's not how you win. Look at the results. They are horrific.
If they don't want to consider you it's good.
Agree. Do you wish Lucic or Ladd or Erickson signed with your team? Free agent signings don't work.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
I’m actually starting to think it’s a competitive advantage to not have UFAs choose Winnipeg. That forces a proper build and eliminates the temptation to overpay for an aging quick fix.

I really don’t want players who have nightlife and weather high on their list of hockey career priorities.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I’m actually starting to think it’s a competitive advantage to not have UFAs choose Winnipeg. That forces a proper build and eliminates the temptation to overpay for an aging quick fix.

I really don’t want players who have nightlife and weather high on their list of hockey career priorities.
This.
That's why I always disagrred with people who thought Shane Doan was some great leader.

Nov 24, 2006
I think this question has been asked before. and yes, I'm sure winning helps. As does the perceived potential to win, money, weather, other amenities, and a young superstar to play with. It is all relevant in different ways to different players.

Look at the last 20 years and places like Detroit, Pittsburgh (historical) and Edmonton (recent).

Stastny just waived for Wpg because he felt he had a good chance at a long playoff run.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017

Please see edit, meant to also include players willing to now waive NTCs to come to wpg

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Honestly, who wants UFAs? That's not how you win. Look at the results. They are horrific.

Depends on the UFA. Lots of small signings are useful, and sometimes it can fill a big need. The issue is when the term is huge and the player is old. Lucic, Eriksson and Okposo are bad deals, but Stralman, Hamhuis (Van), Staal, and Hossa were great ones.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The August trash heap of UFAs can be useles to fill-out for 3rd and 4th lines for cheap. The big names on July 1st is not good.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth

Agreed, we were lucky to pull off a Stastny at deadline and as much as TSN Trade centre would like you to believe every year; there isn't a Stastny out there every year.

So going UFA all in trading every year is a true and proven way to stay mediocre.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Here's how Winnipeg acquired game 1 lineup. Not a single NHL FA signing. Unbelievable job by Cheveldayoff and his scouting staff:
Draft - Draft - Trade
Draft - Trade - Draft
Draft - Draft - Trade
Draft - Draft - College FA

Draft - Draft
Trade - Trade
Draft - Trade

Draft

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Sorry, meant to mention players waiving their NTCs to go to wpg as well

Oh, yeah. I didn’t mean to come across as criticizing your OP. I was just making a general statement on signing UFAs. I agree it could potentially open up more possibilities for Chevy if the Jets weren’t at the top of everyone’s no-trade list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad