Post-Game Talk: Winni wins against Minny - 2:0 Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Also, didn't think Jets' PP was terrible at all. Some great chances for Perreault especially. Wild are #1 in the league on PK - they put a ton of smart pressure on the puck carrier. The #1 PK will trump a good PP anytime. Happens every year in the postseason.

The last couple of PPs were embarrassing, including the time when the Wild PK had an exhausted Jets PP pinned in its own end and get a few good scoring opportunities. :shakehead

I think good PKs are now really destroying the Jets alignment with one point man. Our centers can't win face-offs, so we start every PP in our own zone (they just win the face off and rim the boards to clear the zone because we don't have a player on each point). They are also getting too many 2-on-1 type chances because we only have one point man.

I think that the Jets should consider a more conventional PP setup, and maybe transform to the point high if they have good control and are moving the PK around a bit.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I think you are overstating any troubles with the Jets' PP. Here is where it ranks:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?fetch...esc&sort=powerPlayPercentage&viewName=summary

Teams ahead of the Jets with a better % rating include Philly, SJ, Columbus, Arizona, Carolina, & Jersey. No biggie there, as none of those teams will make the playoffs. The only teams that matter in the West with a better PP than the Jets are St. Louis and Calgary, and the Flames PP% is just marginally better than Winnipeg's.

The Jets were 1/4 on the PP last night; 25%. Their PP is just fine.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The last couple of PPs were embarrassing, including the time when the Wild PK had an exhausted Jets PP pinned in its own end and get a few good scoring opportunities. :shakehead

I think good PKs are now really destroying the Jets alignment with one point man. Our centers can't win face-offs, so we start every PP in our own zone (they just win the face off and rim the boards to clear the zone because we don't have a player on each point). They are also getting too many 2-on-1 type chances because we only have one point man.

I think that the Jets should consider a more conventional PP setup, and maybe transform to the point high if they have good control and are moving the PK around a bit.

When it's clicking, a good PK will destroy almost any PP. We did get pinned in our own end their, but that's not a structural thing. That's a team down by two goals, pressing to score thing.

It's not always about what you do as much as what teams do to you. We saw during our own horrible PK stretch that almost any team can score on a struggling PK.

As long as our PK is strong, we will be in good shape against anyone.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
What a huge win!

The whole team played great, but Pavs really played well IMO, and it's nice to give him props when deserved. A couple of massive saves in the second on the Wild PP.

I also commented in the PGT about wanting to see how Chariot did after sitting so long and getting thrown right onto the top pair and 20+ minutes. I was hoping for a safe, low event game, and I thought Chariot did very well. Personally I like Chariot as our #2 LHD over Stu, Harrison, and Pardy.

YetAnotherGM

Jan 8, 2014
I think you are overstating any troubles with the Jets' PP. Here is where it ranks:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?fetch...esc&sort=powerPlayPercentage&viewName=summary

Teams ahead of the Jets with a better % rating include Philly, SJ, Columbus, Arizona, Carolina, & Jersey. No biggie there, as none of those teams will make the playoffs. The only teams that matter in the West with a better PP than the Jets are St. Louis and Calgary, and the Flames PP% is just marginally better than Winnipeg's.

The Jets were 1/4 on the PP last night; 25%. Their PP is just fine.

The PP will be even better if they get rid of their habit of no look passes - almost always leads to a loss of possession or puck leaves the offensive zone. Ladd, Schieff are the main culprits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad