Post-Game Talk: winner winner

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Zetterberg now on a 61 point pace for the season. The guy gets too much crap on here for the effort he puts in.

Didn't read all the GDT tonight, but last thing I know is that he totally gets credit for his recent performance(s).

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
only caught most of the third and OT, thought we looked good. Or at least a lot better than the last time we played the Jets.

Sidenote; Laine is unbelievable. He's a better talent than Ovechkin imo. Just seems to be more complete.

Guy's a horse out there. Damn good looking player, and doing far better than I expected.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Good game..Two in a row. Do not change anything. Same lines , same d pairs. Although I would like to see Z and Mantha with TV for a game or two

After a AHL first the d tightened up. That is two games in a row where the d played better . We have actually been leaving the zone while under pressure without two or three gv's that result in point blank chances

Last edited:

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Vanek and Nielsen. Vanek has a laser in close and Nielsen must study up because he always seems to know what move to make.

And Zetterberg? Wonder if he's consulting some new generation Alchemist who is injecting him with some miracle concoction. He's still slow but looks as strong as he was a few years ago. I was ready to give up on him after his performance in 80% of his games last year, but he's looking fresh and smart as ever. Mantha gobbling up a couple guys every other forecheck helps too.

Could be wrong, but I seem to recall Z being good for the first half of last season, then faling off in the second leg.

It's a long season. Hopefully he can more or less maintain the same form he's in now.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
:rolleyes: I hate it when people do this. The majority was hammering on Z in the off-season when he sucked for the entirety of last season. And that continued on through a fairly pedestrian 10-15 games. But in the past couple weeks, people have been giving him his due as he's come to life. I don't understand the point of calling people out for calling it as it comes...

Seriously... the "I TOLD U SO" mentality is the worst :shakehead

he was praised for the first 30 games of last season when he looked good, then he was criticized for the rest of the season when he looked bad. Then he was criticized to start this season when he continued to look bad, then people gave him credit for playing well the past couple weeks. Whats wrong with that?

I don't even know if criticized is the right word, people just accepted that he is old and not as good anymore and expressed their sadness/disappointment.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Could be wrong, but I seem to recall Z being good for the first half of last season, then faling off in the second leg.

It's a long season. Hopefully he can more or less maintain the same form he's in now.

He had 23 points through the first 29 games last year. (65 point pace)

BUT he had 9 points in the first 5 games.

Last edited:

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Zetterberg's performance this year proves that speed is not all you need. Smarts can compensate for lack of speed. Heck, look at Jarg, for example.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Thats probably right, but the point is that people were down on Z to start the season because of how bad he was for the majority of last season and the playoffs. And he wasn't looking too hot to start this season either. Now that he's been playing well, people are coming around on him, obviously reservedly at first, but more recently with a lot more excitement.

Basically, the majority is responding in accordance with how he's been playing.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Thats probably right, but the point is that people were down on Z to start the season because of how bad he was for the majority of last season and the playoffs. And he wasn't looking too hot to start this season either. Now that he's been playing well, people are coming around on him, obviously reservedly at first, but more recently with a lot more excitement.

It's almost as if back surgery impacted his ability to train in the off season which in turn affected his play as the season wore on...

I'm glad to see fans giving him is due because he very much deserves it right now. He has always left it all on the ice; I just wish more fans could appreciate that even when he isn't piling up the points.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
:rolleyes: I hate it when people do this. The majority was hammering on Z in the off-season when he sucked for the entirety of last season. And that continued on through a fairly pedestrian 10-15 games. But in the past couple weeks, people have been giving him his due as he's come to life. I don't understand the point of calling people out for calling it as it comes...

The effort has always been there. He's getting old. I've still seen him getting harsh criticism even as recently as a couple games ago.

His still this team's best player.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Heaton keep on eatin'! This is the second reference to fried chicken, haha. I would call it the Meltdown in Manitoba. Motown Meltdown? Snow and rain mixing, not cold enough to freeze hard.

This turned into a truly decent game, nice flow back and forth in the 2nd and 3rd. Winni got lulled to sleep then slowed down drastically. At times they appeared a little too heavy, it's not 2012 anymore. :laugh:

Great game from the Wings. It was classic and for some reason stirred up pride in myself. It creates further discussion of what exactly we're witnessing, no one can be sure. The Wings actually got the results begged for by many fans online and not a 3rd period meltdown. Detroit played respectable in the right way, I'm glad the crowd had a good time. I know I did. :D

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Z always starts off his first 20-30 games hot. After the NY is when things go down.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Larkin looked good. Mrazek didn't let the 2nd and 3rd goals bother him, which is fantastic. Zetterberg has looked good the last 5+ games. Mantha is just amazing. Can't wait to see his game grow and learn the league. Nielsen and Vanek looked good. Nice to see Tatar actually get a goal, hopefully that will give him some encouragement.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
He had 23 points through the first 29 games last year. (65 point pace)

BUT he had 9 points in the first 5 games.

Even points aside, he just looked way more agile in the in the first half of the season than the second half. The grind of the season definitely caught up with him. Blashill leaning on him as heavily as he did early on didn't help any either.

Well, don't disagree with that -- we sports fans are pretty reactionary.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
My god on what form was Larkin today. I don't understand what was the idea to put Larkin on 4th line and then swap him with Jurco, but my god it worked. That was best offensive effort he has played probably ever in NHL. His plays will converted to scoring attempts in every shift with a high rate.

Player, Points, ScoringAttempts(Quality + AssistedAttempts(Quality), Screens + OtherOff.Play + OtherDef.Play = Total Scoring Attempt points

LW Mantha, 1+0 tehot, 3(1) + 3(1), 1+1+1 = 12p
C Zetterberg, 0+1, 2(0) + 2(1), 1+3+3 = 13
RW Tatar, 1+0, 4(2) + 0(0), 3+1+1 = 12
---------- First line put some scoring one the table. Solid game from them again, they have been very consistent on latest games. Tatar scored finally and that was typical Tatar-goal, those usually happen after a defenceman-rebound (like DeKeyser-shot today), when I watched his earlier highlights. Mantha goal was all Larkin. Zetterberg was very strong defensively today.

LW Glendening, 0+0, 2(1) + 1(0), 0+1+5 = 10
C Nielsen, 0+0, 5(2) + 4(1), 0+1+3 = 16
RW Jurco, 0+0, 1(0) + 2(1), 0+1+1 = 6
----------- Nielsen was very meh in the 1st period, but it was with Jurco there. When Larkin was promoted to play with him, everything changed. Nielsen was one of our best players. Glendening was suberb defensively, I'm quite sure his Corsi looked bad again, but who gives a ****, when he takes out those QUALITY CHANCES from opposite team. Those will matter. That's REAL defence, not Corsi numbers.

LW Vanek, 1+0, 2(1) + 6(3), 0+0+1 = 14
C Sheahan, 0+0, 2(1) + 1(0), 2+0+1 = 7
RW Nyquist, 0+1, 1(1) + 3(2), 1+0+0 = 9
------------- I liked Sheahan on this line and thought this idea at earlier games. Nice to see they did try it. When Larkin is on this line (instead of Helm), there's no net-front precence and good defence in it and Vanek goes wasted when he has to do the net-front. Sheahan adds the net-front + better defence (than Larkin) and then Vanek can maximize his skill plays. That's maximizing our most skilled player's ability. I hope they keep them together now.

LW Miller, 0+0, 0(0) + 1(0), 0+0+3 = 4
C Larkin, 0+2, 6(2) + 9(3), 0+1+0 = 23
RW Ott, 0+0, 0(0) + 1(0), 1+0+1 = 3
------ Miller and Ott vere visible only on the PK, but Larkin had that dynamite game. That 23 points on my scale was ELITE-LEVEL effort from him. I've collected this kind of +20 point games only from NHLs TOP talented elite players like Crosby and McDavid.

LD DeKeyser, 0+1, 1(0) + 3(1), 0+0+7 = +13 (-5 opposite scoring chances against) = +8p
RD Green, 0+0, 3(2) + 4(1), 0+0+2 = +12 (-8 opposite scoring chances against) = +4p
LD Ericsson, 0+0, 2(0) + 0(0), 0+0+1 = +3 (-4 opposite scoring chances against) = -1p
RD Ouellet, 0+1, 1(0) + 3(1), 0+0+3 = +9 (-1 opposite scoring chances against) = +8p
LD Kronwall, 0+0, 1(1) + 2(0), 0+0+2 = +6 (0 opposite scoring chances against) = +6p
RD Lashoff, 0+0, 1(0), 2(0), 0+0+1 = +4 (-1 opposite scoring chances against) = +3p

Green was horrible, he took 6/7 of Jets first Quality chances against, and those were mostly his own faults. Ouellet is doing surprisingly good lately and no one notices... nice play on that Vanek goal. Mistake-free game from Kronwall. Good.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
a little disappointing to come away with a win TBH, at least mantha and larkin got on the scoreboard

What kind of fan are you?

I won't lie, I'm so sick of these posts. As much as I love posting with majority of you guys, posts like that one really demoralize me. I love being a Wings fan, but sometimes I get irked on this board. Now, I know most of you guys are great people, but c'mon with these cynical and doom and gloom stuff.

We actually put in a legit effort after the 1st and deserved a win.

Bravo, Wings.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Mantha and Vanek are really surprise bright spots this season. Nice to see the team rally. More efforts like that make it easier to block out time for the games.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

I won't lie, I'm so sick of these posts. As much as I love posting with majority of you guys, posts like that one really demoralize me. I love being a Wings fan, but sometimes I get irked on this board. Now, I know most of you guys are great people, but c'mon with these cynical and doom and gloom stuff.

Bravo, Wings.

People say things in the moment, an expression. We know there are Wings fans that want to draft higher and rebuild, that's their prerogative. High picks is a wonderful thing, I can see the logic of what critics are saying. You may be closer to the middle of the road which IMO is a healthy place. HF shares so much knowledge don't get too bent out of shape over a different opinion.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
For anyone who's poured in blood, sweat, pride and money into this streak, just giving it up is not an option. I personally find that admirable. Your mileage may vary. It'll come to an end sooner or later without all the negativity anyway.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
So, next up, C'bus. They're like what, 5-1 in their last 6? Curious how we're dealing with 'em back at the Joe. Another win would be huge.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Ovechkin looked a lot like that his first few seasons, actually. He's not remotely the same player anymore even though he can still score goals.

Ovechkin looked much better.

Do people seriously not remember how ridiculous Ovechkin was in his first couple of years? Obviously he was older, but it's not even close..

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

Bravo, Wings.

I simply want what I believe is best for the team

\_(ツ)_/¯

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Zetterberg's performance this year proves that speed is not all you need. Smarts can compensate for lack of speed. Heck, look at Jarg, for example.
Same for Vanek. Smarts and an ability to protect the puck can make up for a lot. Z's success currently is in large part because he looks stronger and more like his old self in terms of actually being able to protect the puck. He was never relying on speed, it was always the puck protection that was his big thing.

Z always starts off his first 20-30 games hot. After the NY is when things go down.
Maybe. Probably. Won't expect him to play like this all season. Especially with how much icetime he gets. The promising thing though is that he is actually getting better with every game right now. Last 2 seasons he has started great the first 10 games or so and then never showed that spark again. This could be a sign that he's actually better prepared this year.

Ovechkin looked much better.

Do people seriously not remember how ridiculous Ovechkin was in his first couple of years? Obviously he was older, but it's not even close..
I remember. In some ways Ovie may have been more impressive. More of a physical beast, a monster just going on rush after rush firing shots.
But I have never been much of a fan of Ovie. I think even at his best he was never good in the d-zone, never much of a playmaker, and seems to have always lacked something in the hockey IQ department. Also worth mentioning that scoring was a bit higher league-wide when Ovie hit the NHL. Did about 50% of all his scoring on the PP in his rookie year.

Laine looks like he is already better defensively than Ovie has ever been. He looks like he's smart enough to make the pass when the shooting lane isn't there. I like his game better, less one-dimensional.

I simply want what I believe is best for the team

\_(ツ)_/¯
If we can win with Larkin, Mantha and Mrazek looking this good, it's excellent for the team. Add Athanasiou to the mix, get Sproul back into the lineup and I don't see why we should be wishing for failure. This year's draft isn't even that good. Doubtful there's a player in the top 10 that significantly alters a team's future. I'd rather take a decent year, make the playoffs, and hope for our current batch of D prospects to hit potential.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I'd rather take a decent year, make the playoffs, and hope for our current batch of D prospects to hit potential.

And some people think that's not what's best for the team in the long run. It's almost like it's been a recurring argument back and forth. Weird.

Laine is really, really good. I don't know what the Jets are missing (besides, possibly, consistent goaltending), but they have a lot of pieces I wish we had. If that team played up to their potential, they'd be really scary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad