Confirmed with Link: Wings sign Kent Huskins for 1 year

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
How's that gonna improve our goaltending? Have some people lost faith in Howard after first 2 games?

i am not blaming howard, i like howard alot but i know for a fact luongo is a much better goalie who can make up for bad defence way more then howard can

so perhaps if you cant improve your defence in any meaningful way holland "may" be inclined to think outside the box

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
i am not blaming howard, i like howard alot but i know for a fact luongo is a much better goalie who can make up for bad defence way more then howard can

so perhaps if you cant improve your defence in any meaningful way holland "may" be inclined to think outside the box

Life-time goalie contract is kind of a bad idea under the new CBA. I would have entertained the idea before they blocked the loopholes.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan

How can you prove this? Why is Luongo the backup on a team with a better Defense than Detroit then? It's not like Schnieder is a great goalie.... I'll take Howard's mind set over Luongo's any day of the week. You want a goalie who can brush off bad games or bad goals and continue playing at a high level. Chris Osgood was one of the best at having that mentality, and he taught Jimmy to be the same way. Big name does not equal big success, especially at a ridiculous contract.

Plus, Howard has never had the opportunity to get a lot of shots. It is almost harder to get 20 shots a game and be good.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Life-time goalie contract is kind of a bad idea under the new CBA. I would have entertained the idea before they blocked the loopholes.

yah no doubt the contract length is crap but i have a strong feeling howards next contract cap hit will be within 1 million of luongo's 5.3 cap hit

i am not saying we should do it, just after reading Gilles's interview which he said he has a trade worked out with a team nobody would have thought(thus not toronto, philly, chicago or florida) i started to wonder

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
How can you prove this? Why is Luongo the backup on a team with a better Defense than Detroit then? It's not like Schnieder is a great goalie.... I'll take Howard's mind set over Luongo's any day of the week. You want a goalie who can brush off bad games or bad goals and continue playing at a high level. Chris Osgood was one of the best at having that mentality, and he taught Jimmy to be the same way. Big name does not equal big success, especially at a ridiculous contract.

Plus, Howard has never had the opportunity to get a lot of shots. It is almost harder to get 20 shots a game and be good.

what? come on man really.

i am not gonna debate with anyone whether luongo is actually a better goalie then howard just like i wouldnt debate with canucks fans whether datsyuk was actually better then kesler

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

Bobbie Lu would have to be a significantly better goalie to justify that trade given his terrible contract, but I don't think he is that much better than Jimmy. And Howie seems to be mentally tougher, which I definitely like. I'll stick with Howard.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

Give me Howard over Luongo any day of the week. Period.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
what? come on man really.

i am not gonna debate with anyone whether luongo is actually a better goalie then howard just like i wouldnt debate with canucks fans whether datsyuk was actually better then kesler

Which goalie would you have rather had last year, the one with a 2.41 GAA and .919 save% or the one with a 2.13 GAA and .920 save%?

If you picked number one you picked Luongo. If you picked two you picked Howard.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
He's won a Cup, so there's that. Didn't play a ton of minutes but he's kind of the anti-Hannan. Always seems to be on a good defense, though I wouldn't say he's the one locking everything down.

I did see him wandering into the corner chasing the puck in his first game here, so he'll fit right in I suppose...

CloneHakanPlease*

Hardly noticed him at all out there. Ill count that as a positive. Heres to him being a solid bot pairing guy

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Luongo is a positional goalie and blocker of the puck. With the amount of free chances we give up and our trouble clearing the front of the net, it would be an utter disaster in my opinion. Forget the contract for a second, Luongo has lost out to a guy I don't expect will beat out Howard for the third string role on the US Olympic team and because he shouldn't.

Howard bailed us out a lot the last two games. He is not the problem and unless he is asking for Quick money there is no reason to even consider this. Even then you role with other options. The simple fact is goalies are becoming a crowded market, I am not attached to any of them with a great deal of confidence, especially with a very real option developing in the minors right now. You think Luongo is hard to unload now, imagine trying to do it in two or three years when Mrazek is stealing his job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad