Confirmed with Link: Wings sign G Victor Brattstrom to ELC

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
GR re-signed Nagle today as well. I assume Pickard starts in GR with Nagle, Larsson and Brattstrom battling it out for the backup job.

Larsson probably needs several ECHL seasons. Once he wins the starter job there, we can talk again about GR.
Brattstrom is a good start but the organization needs more young goalies. Nagle and Pickard are both a waste of space. There's no room for both. If they keep Nagle, they have to get rid of Pickard.

Reactions: hkydave04

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Larsson probably needs several ECHL seasons. Once he wins the starter job there, we can talk again about GR.
Brattstrom is a good start but the organization needs more young goalies. Nagle and Pickard are both a waste of space. There's no room for both. If they keep Nagle, they have to get rid of Pickard.

Unfortunately it is a bit of a chicken and the egg scenario. We had no young talent coming through so the organization needed to get guys like Pickard & Nagle to provide the affiliates with some stability in the net, who in turn block the young guys from getting a shot.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Unfortunately it is a bit of a chicken and the egg scenario. We had no young talent coming through so the organization needed to get guys like Pickard & Nagle to provide the affiliates with some stability in the net, who in turn block the young guys from getting a shot.

If you don't have any, you get some. Young goalie projects are available for cheap. Or you try to convince your unsigned Euros to come over and play for you. But no, they decided to piss off Rybar instead.
A tandem of Nagle and Pickard in GR makes no sense for a rebuilding franchise. Now that Yzerman is here I'm sure he'll be looking to clean up the mess.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Doubt he comes over to NA this year, most likely fall 2021.

Front office should try everything to get him to come over now. The same goes for Rybar and van Pottelberghe. The organization is in need of young goalies right now.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
If you don't have any, you get some. Young goalie projects are available for cheap. Or you try to convince your unsigned Euros to come over and play for you. But no, they decided to piss off Rybar instead.
A tandem of Nagle and Pickard in GR makes no sense for a rebuilding franchise. Now that Yzerman is here I'm sure he'll be looking to clean up the mess.
I see your point & would like better talent but at the AHL level you need to stop enough pucks to get to the PO's so the skaters can get PO experience. I don't think throwing young goalies in would be a solution. Nagle played very well. IMO GRG wouldn't have been in a position to make the PO's w/o him.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I see your point & would like better talent but at the AHL level you need to stop enough pucks to get to the PO's so the skaters can get PO experience. I don't think throwing young goalies in would be a solution. Nagle played very well. IMO GRG wouldn't have been in a position to make the PO's w/o him.

Nagle is fine but he's not more than a career AHLer. Rybar or van Pottelberghe could easily outperform him. If Brattstrom doesn't want to come over immediately, at least go out and get a younger guy like Ingram.

They wanna keep Nagle, fine. But then please get rid of Pickard. A duo of Nagle and Pickard would be nonsense. A wasted year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Quite sure they'll start with Larsson as a Griffins starter again. And veteran Nagle will mentor him.

Pickard? Plan B NHL backup if nobody is signed. If Yzerman will get UFA starter, then he'll trade Pickard somewhere.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Quite sure they'll start with Larsson as a Griffins starter again. And veteran Nagle will mentor him.

Pickard? Plan B NHL backup if nobody is signed. If Yzerman will get UFA starter, then he'll trade Pickard somewhere.

Pointless to try. Larsson can't even earn regular ECHL starts. Massively overrated due to college and junior performances. I predicted his struggles at pro level. Many here called me nuts but I knew it. And I don't know why all of a sudden he should turn into an AHL starter when he's not even an ECHL starter. I'm not too optimistic for this guy...if he ever turns into something, it's gonna take time.

Again. We can talk about Larsson and GR again once he wins the starter job in Toledo.

Pickard is a waste of space at all levels. Much rather give that spot to a younger guy with some actual upside.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pointless to try?

What an approach for things.

Goalies go up and and down with their forms and we don't know in what form the kids will be. It seems that we have different hot goalie prospects every year.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Pointless to try?

What an approach for things.

Goalies go up and and down with their forms and we don't know in what form the kids will be. It seems that we have different hot goalie prospects every year.

This has nothing to do with form. Larsson sucked all season long. He's just not ready for pro hockey. In my view he'll probably never even get there but for sure he's just not where he should be in his development today. It's gonna take time. Some goalies need more time than others. No ECHL backup is all of a sudden gonna turn into an AHL starter over the summer...particularly not if there's as much wrong as with Larsson.

Again. People have sky high expectations for him but I still don't get why. I didn't get it before the 19/20 season and even less so now.

Back then, many here were laughing at me for saying that Petruzzelli and van Pottelberghe are far more intriguing than Larsson. After the year Petruzzelli had (not many here expected that), many are starting to wonder already. After next season, he'll be ahead of Larsson. Van Pottelberghe of course always was.

If starting Larsson in the AHL is the best option they currently have then getting at least one of the Euros to come over should be top priority for the front office. That includes Brattstrom even though of course a good season at highest pro level in Europe couldn't hurt either. But the Redwings organization needs help now.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
This has nothing to do with form. Larsson sucked all season long. He's just not ready for pro hockey. In my view he'll probably never even get there but for sure he's just not where he should be in his development today. It's gonna take time. Some goalies need more time than others. No ECHL backup is all of a sudden gonna turn into an AHL starter over the summer...particularly not if there's as much wrong as with Larsson.

Again. People have sky high expectations for him but I still don't get why. I didn't get it before the 19/20 season and even less so now.

Back then, many here were laughing at me for saying that Petruzzelli and van Pottelberghe are far more intriguing than Larsson. After the year Petruzzelli had (not many here expected that), many are starting to wonder already. After next season, he'll be ahead of Larsson. Van Pottelberghe of course always was.

If starting Larsson in the AHL is the best option they currently have then getting at least one of the Euros to come over should be top priority for the front office. That includes Brattstrom even though of course a good season at highest pro level in Europe couldn't hurt either. But the Redwings organization needs help now.

Hinterland, are you JVP's agent, girlfriend or boyfriend?

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I think they had to sign Brattström this summer just to keep his rights, only 2 years of rights for someone drafted at 21.

Reactions: Hinterland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad