Tvrdon-Aubry-Campbell

Oullet-Sproul
Paetsch-Marchenko
Evans-Backman/Jensen
Nedomlel-Nicastro

Mrazek
Coreau
Paterson

Callahan can't play in Grand Rapids though.

Also, good signing. More AHL depth. I don't think he goes anywhere, but you never know.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
malykhin talk is getting annoyning. there are other players in khl.

I'm sure there was other young KHL players who said they were interested in coming to the NHL and had a connection to the Wings we would be talking abut them too.

Very odd thing to get mad about.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Callahan can't play in Grand Rapids though.

Also, good signing. More AHL depth. I don't think he goes anywhere, but you never know.

One of Callahan or Ferraro is likely going to be exposed to waivers and in all honesty both should pass through. So yes, one should be in Grand Rapids come next season assuming they even qualify both guys.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
GR 2014-2015

Callahan-Athanasiou-Pulkkinen
Mantha-Nosek-Frk
Hoggan-Nestrasil-Grant
Tvrdon-Aubry-Campbell

Oullet-Sproul
Paetsch-Marchenko
Evans-Backman/Jensen
Nedomlel-Nicastro

Mrazek
Coreau
Paterson

More of:

Jurco - Nosek - Pulkkinen
Athanasiou - XXX - Mantha
Tvrdon - Nestrasil - Frk
Hoggan - Aubry - Campbell
(Grant, Parkes, etc.)

Bäckman - Ouellet
Evans - Sproul
Paetsch - Jensen
(Nedomlel)

Marcheko (hopefully up in NHL)

Mrazek
Paterson

Something has to be found to center the 2nd line. Or it could be AA.

About Callahan and Ferraro, I'm almost 100% sure Callahan won't be waived, but Ferraro probably would be. Both are great penalty-killers, but Callahan brings us new blood in net-front precence, when Bertuzzi and Cleary are gone. Babcock loves that.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
More of:

Tvrdon - Nestrasil - Frk
(Grant, Parkes, etc.)

Bäckman - Ouellet
Evans - Sproul
Paetsch - Jensen
(Nedomlel)

Mrazek
Paterson

About Callahan and Ferraro, I'm almost 100% sure Callahan won't be waived, but Ferraro probably would be. Both are great penalty-killers, but Callahan brings us new blood in net-front precence, when Bertuzzi and Cleary are gone. Babcock loves that.

I understand the argument behind it as he is the super heavy in terms of him or Grant. But I am not sure they re-sign Evans. He and Grant were on one year deals and I honestly expect they will chase a top 6 AHL type center.

You play to win at this level as well something often overlooked though as you have posted the second line open certainly not something you're guilty of, though often around here people are especially when they put lines together. But I think that is the big need for this team, they need to get a proven top 6 centerman and somebody to play the heavy roll either on the wing or on D. That could be Grant or Evans, Nedomlel could be the heavy D-man if it calls for it. So for me Evans is a little more expendable. We will see what they do though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I understand the argument behind it as he is the super heavy in terms of him or Grant. But I am not sure they re-sign Evans. He and Grant were on one year deals and I honestly expect they will chase a top 6 AHL type center.

You play to win at this level as well something often overlooked though as you have posted the second line open certainly not something you're guilty of, though often around here people are especially when they put lines together. But I think that is the big need for this team, they need to get a proven top 6 centerman and somebody to play the heavy roll either on the wing or on D. That could be Grant or Evans, Nedomlel could be the heavy D-man if it calls for it. So for me Evans is a little more expendable. We will see what they do though.

Good points. Didn't remember Evans is without contract. I though he was on 2-year deal like Paetsch. So Nedomlel replacing him fits good at defensive/physical role.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
The Brunner signing was favorable, even for only 1 season.

It's a mixed bag for me. He helped get us into the playoffs, so depending on what value one places on 'the streak' that's a major positive.

By the end of the season it was obvious what Brunner was: an opportunistic, one-dimensional winger who's effective with an elite center like Z.

And then he bolted to the competition. Considering he got more ice time than Nyquist and Tatar combined he was ultimately just another roadblock for prospect development.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
It's a mixed bag for me. He helped get us into the playoffs, so depending on what value one places on 'the streak' that's a major positive.

By the end of the season it was obvious what Brunner was: an opportunistic, one-dimensional winger who's effective with an elite center like Z.

And then he bolted to the competition. Considering he got more ice time than Nyquist and Tatar combined he was ultimately just another roadblock for prospect development.

He had an effective postseason on the 3rd line with Andersson and Nyquist as well.

Any way you slice it, we got a fairly productive player.

And BS on the prospect roadblock.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
More of:

Tvrdon - Nestrasil - Frk
(Grant, Parkes, etc.)

Bäckman - Ouellet
Evans - Sproul
Paetsch - Jensen
(Nedomlel)

Mrazek
Paterson

I think it's best to groom AA as a Center and if it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out but try and make it happen.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What's wrong with Nestrasil?

Not much, he just took longer to take to pro hockey. We will see what happens, I think he is going to have a very good career in Europe. Not sure he makes it in the NHL, but a lot of posters here probably didn't watch a ton of his second half of the year where he was one of the better forwards in Grand Rapids. He has a lot of patience with the puck and is good at using his body in puck protection and board battles.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Part of the Hoggan, Paetsch, Grant, and Evans "thing" is the fact that they also were a big part in teaching our prospects (on and off ice). These 4 should be judged based on their total contributions & not just their own on-ice performance.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
How does Nosek fit age-vise?

Nestrasil, 1991, february 22nd
Ferraro, 1991, august 8th
Callahan, 1991, august 17th
Aubry, 1991, november 11th
Sheahan, 1991, december 7th
Pulkkinen, 1992, january 2nd
Nosek, 1992, september 1st

Janmark, 1992, december 8th
Jurco, 1992, december 28th
Frk, 1993, october 5th

This just feels like adding a pick for 2010 entry draft. We took these guys on that draft:

1st - C Sheahan
2nd - C Järnkrok
3rd - C Aubry
4th - W Pulkkinen
5th - G Mrazek
6th - W Macek
7th - D Marshall

It really is like replacing Järnkrok. We got a guy for two more years with waiver eligibility and without a will to jump back to Europe.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
If Nestrasil makes another big step in his play like he did this year, he could be another Kopecky or maybe better. He was great on face-offs, D, scoring from all over the ice, and passing well the last half of the season. Maybe he needed to be in all situations to improve. Anyway I hope he is signed for a couple years

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nosek logged huge minutes in all situations for Pardubice.

So imo, he could be slotted to be nothing less than a 1st center for Griffins.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Part of the Hoggan, Paetsch, Grant, and Evans "thing" is the fact that they also were a big part in teaching our prospects (on and off ice). These 4 should be judged based on their total contributions & not just their own on-ice performance.

They are and I think they have been. What I was getting at though is if that role gets filled it isn't the end of the world and I do like Evans. Just given the team needs they might look elsewhere, especially if the Wings do go after D-man they will need the overload and GR would be better off going with three forwards up front than the two and two. I have appreciated what Evans has brought, he even scored the Calder Cup winning goal.

If Nestrasil makes another big step in his play like he did this year, he could be another Kopecky or maybe better. He was great on face-offs, D, scoring from all over the ice, and passing well the last half of the season. Maybe he needed to be in all situations to improve. Anyway I hope he is signed for a couple years

For me Nestrasil should be allowed to compete with Ferraro and Callahan. I got grilled for bringing it up, but if he wants to extend with that very real chance of playing in GR instead of overseas, he has earned the right to compete with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad