Confirmed with Link: Wings sign Frans Nielsen 6 years 5.25m/yr

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
This is a disaster. 6 years at $5M+ for a 32 year old who's never got 60 pts and only once over 20 goals? I really don't get it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
not really familiar with Nielsen. How good is this guy?

I have the same question.

Anyone watched a lot of him and can weigh in?

Honestly, he is a good player.

I don't like the price, the term, or the fit. But the guy is a pretty slick playmaker, plays a complete game, and will definitely chip in some offense.

He is kind of like a higher end Filppula, IMO. At least in terms of impact. I just did not really want another perimeter playmaker, and that is kind of what he is in my opinion.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I know it's not the cool thing to say here, but I like the deal. People here seem to not understand where the market is in the NHL.

sure it's probably around market value

but it's really not a good idea for the Wings to be giving 32 year olds 6 year contracts

gonna be so many contracts weighing this team down in a few years with Helm,Abdelkader,Nielsen,Ericsson etc

Mjollner

Jan 28, 2009
You know what will make our anemic offense better?

An aging borderline top 6 center who struggles to put up 45pts a season. And hell why not sign him for 6 years. 6 years?!!!

CMUBrent

Jan 23, 2007
Bahahahahaha

Another bad contract by that past-his-prime GM. Six years for a 32-year old forward? :laugh: :snide:

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
this is awful. i like the guy as a player, but this is an overpayment and a ridiculous term. oh, kenny....

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
not really familiar with Nielsen. How good is this guy?

He's a decent 2nd line center. Good two way player. The problem is he's 32 so his play could fall off a cliff at any point. Anything more than 2-3 years is a huge risk. He could very well end up being bought out.

Ken Holland and desperation are an awful, awful mix. :help:

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
Meh not that bad. Over-reaction on here per usual.

All the top UFA's getting 6 or 7 yrs yet Kenny was suppose to get less *shrugs*

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
I think I would have preferred offering Staal shorter term and maybe bigger money, I feel like we have a slightly improved Filppula but oh wells

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I know it's not the cool thing to say here, but I like the deal. People here seem to not understand where the market is in the NHL.
This is in the same logical realm as maxing out your credit card on Black Friday because "look how much I saved!"

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
This is a pity because Nielsen was solid for the Isles last season and is the type of player I want to like, but the contract Holland just doled out will turn me against him...

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
I have the same question.

Anyone watched a lot of him and can weigh in?

very good 2-way player, good 2nd line centre. has some skills, can put up a semi-reasonable points tally, but the main thing we gain from having him is his defensive skills.

Stephen Weiss 2.0? Looks like it

that's harsh. weiss as a player looked to be done before the wings took him. nielsen is pretty much at his peak now. i expect nielsen to do well for the wings. certainly better than weiss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad