Confirmed with Link: Wings sign Frans Nielsen 6 years 5.25m/yr

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Considering how similar both players are, it's not a stretch to suggest that by thinking one is better than Datsyuk, the other is as well.

And good luck convincing anyone that Filppula is better than a 38 year old Datsyuk.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Considering how similar both players are, it's not a stretch to suggest that by thinking one is better than Datsyuk, the other is as well.

And good luck convincing anyone that Filppula is better than a 38 year old Datsyuk.

Sweet strawman dood... Maybe if Val had a comparable season to Nielsen. Except Nielsen scored 20 more points than him in very similar usage. Again, completely disregard Nielsen out-producing Datsyuk at ES+PP in less minutes as well as killing penalties.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I didn't see that.

He severely declined. Larkin and Mrazek were our best players until they hit wall the second half. Datsyuk wasn't even the best player in the second half.

Datsyuk last moments on the Wings were him getting outplayed in a series handily heads up by Valtteri Filppula. I mean we could hope he would bounce back over the summer, but I am not sure what we would be getting back. Might be a big part of the reason he quit on us.

Nielsen doesn't need to be Datsyuk, what is really important is that his game fits in with our guys and he gets comfortable. What we cannot afford is for him to be Weiss... I don't think he will be, but I was high on the idea of signing Weiss. Nielsen is a much better skater though in my opinion which really crushed Weiss at the end with all the injuries piling up.

anthonyc

Aug 5, 2016
Hey everyone, another Islander fan wishing Frans signed with us again. He's my favorite NHLer and I loved the two-way game he brought to the island; certainly going to be missed. Very glad he ended up in an organization such as Detroit... very respectable team. A lot of people seem worried he will fade in a couple years, and although I do agree the term is a bit too long, I certainly will guess (take this with a grain of salt) that due to his style of play, he won't decline as badly as many other players his age.

He's still got speed and a great hockey IQ. For the people complaining about his point totals: he's a defensive center, so don't expect more than about 50 points. Although it's hard to say how he'll do with different line mates in a different system and his point totals have been trending upwards lately. I feel like he was under-utilized as an offensive producer most times but that's just my own little conspiracy theory... I certainly enjoyed the short but sweet Nielsen-Tavares-Okposo experiment (Tavares 3-5--8 in 3 GP with that line in last regular season games... was also good in the playoffs too).

Here are some interesting tidbits on Nielsen that I can recall looking up:
  • PP: Past 3 years, more points aggregated on PP than Kyle Okposo, just 3 points behind Stamkos. Good playmaker who can pass around the puck to the goal scorers while being able to score some himself.
  • Very good on PK, definitely a first unit penalty killer. Uses his speed as an advantage on breakaways. Takeaway count among the highest in the league last few years (although last season he regressed for some reason).
  • Faceoffs (last season): 55.2% PP, 45.6% SH, 50.7% EV. 49.4% in the offensive zone, 47.2% neutral zone, but 52.9% in D zone.
  • Last season, out of all forwards, tied with Kesler for most blocked shots in the league with 92.
  • One of the best shootout scorers of all time. 42 goals on 82 shots. Used to be a career 60%(!) shooter a few years ago but goalies are starting to figure out his patented Danish Backhand of Judgement©. As a result he's been trying different moves.
OK I'm done rambling now. :laugh:

Last edited:

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Great post.

Nielsen will very quickly become a favourite of mine.

We needed some immediate PP help with Datsyuk gone. Hoping that some new personnel and a restructure will improve things.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006

And since Filppula is pretty similar to Helm, I'm also saying Helm is better than Datsyuk.

And since Helm is pretty similar to Glendening, I'm also saying Glendening is better than Datsyuk.

Sweet argument, bro! I never knew I thought Glendening was better than Datsyuk but, apparently, I did. How about that?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Great post.

Nielsen will very quickly become a favourite of mine.

We needed some immediate PP help with Datsyuk gone. Hoping that some new personnel and a restructure will improve things.

Can't wait for his zone entry's. Pavel was unbeatable at them when he had speed. Kronner was also good with heatlhy knees. Both are gone now (Pavel + Kronner's speed).

Nielsen really fits on the plan. Z can take Dats's place as a main playmaker.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Hey everyone, another Islander fan wishing Frans signed with us again. He's my favorite NHLer and I loved the two-way game he brought to the island; certainly going to be missed. Very glad he ended up in an organization such as Detroit... very respectable team. A lot of people seem worried he will fade in a couple years, and although I do agree the term is a bit too long, I certainly will guess (take this with a grain of salt) that due to his style of play, he won't decline as badly as many other players his age.

He's still got speed and a great hockey IQ. For the people complaining about his point totals: he's a defensive center, so don't expect more than about 50 points. Although it's hard to say how he'll do with different line mates in a different system and his point totals have been trending upwards lately. I feel like he was under-utilized as an offensive producer most times but that's just my own little conspiracy theory... I certainly enjoyed the short but sweet Nielsen-Tavares-Okposo experiment (Tavares 3-5--8 in 3 GP with that line in last regular season games... was also good in the playoffs too).

Here are some interesting tidbits on Nielsen that I can recall looking up:
  • PP: Past 3 years, more points aggregated on PP than Kyle Okposo, just 3 points behind Stamkos. Good playmaker who can pass around the puck to the goal scorers while being able to score some himself.
  • Very good on PK, definitely a first unit penalty killer. Uses his speed as an advantage on breakaways. Takeaway count among the highest in the league last few years (although last season he regressed for some reason).
  • Faceoffs (last season): 55.2% PP, 45.6% SH, 50.7% EV. 49.4% in the offensive zone, 47.2% neutral zone, but 52.9% in D zone.
  • Last season, out of all forwards, tied with Kesler for most blocked shots in the league with 92.
  • One of the best shootout scorers of all time. 42 goals on 82 shots. Used to be a career 60%(!) shooter a few years ago but goalies are starting to figure out his patented Danish Backhand of Judgement©. As a result he's been trying different moves.
OK I'm done rambling now. :laugh:

I've been watching whatever I can find on youtube of Nielsen. I think we will be happy

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Problem is that he is still the pass first, timid type, that the Wings have in spades. I am prepared to be frustrated by a PP defined by too many passes and a lot of **** entries into the zone.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Gonna miss both Nielsen and Okposo. Still not sure how Snow managed to take a homegrown player who bled the nyi colors and sour him on the organization.

Anyway good luck with Frans. A very good player
Total class.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Problem is that he is still the pass first, timid type, that the Wings have in spades. I am prepared to be frustrated by a PP defined by too many passes and a lot of **** entries into the zone.

Wouldn't call him timid at all. He makes aggressive checks and blocks shots. Does he hit? Nope. And he doesn't really drive the net either. But he isn't timid. He's heady, smart, and reserves his physicality for defending the puck. I don't mind that at all.

And while I agree we needed shooting last year and still do, we could also use some more cool tape passers. Last year was an atrocity in the passing department.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Red Wings were 2-5 in shootouts last year (27th in the league), I suspect that Nielsen's specialty will help the Wings out a lot. He's #1 all-time in the league in shootout goals with 42 goals on 82 shots and he's #1 all-time with 17 game-deciding goals in the shootout.

I really think he's going to be a great addition.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
And while I agree we needed shooting last year and still do, we could also use some more cool tape passers. Last year was an atrocity in the passing department.

Yeah, for all of the guys on the team who are strictly pass-first players, most of them were passing really, really poorly last year. If Nielsen can improve on that, then it's just on coaching to get guys like Tatar to shoot more (with a combination of physically shooting more and being on the ice more). I don't see Nielsen being a pass first guy as a limitation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad