Confirmed with Link: Wings sign Dominik Kubalik (2 years x $2.5 m per)

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Or worse. I want them to win the #1 overall pick but Bedard publicly say he refuses to play for a team that covered up a sexual assault scandal and holds out until he's 20 to sign as an FA.
When did he say this? I was looking for a source and I’m assuming this was because Team Canada.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
1st 2 pages about Kubalik. Mostly people questioning the signing and/or expecting a trade. Well.
Then 6 pages off topic beating a dead horse.

I don't know how he finishes the season and whether this is a hot start, but he does what we excepted from Zadina.

Obviously Yzerman knew very well what we the fans didn't (Vrana and to some extent Bertuzzi)

Reactions: kliq

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
1st 2 pages about Kubalik. Mostly people questioning the signing and/or expecting a trade. Well.

I don't know how he finishes the season and whether this is a hot start, but he does what we excepted from Zadina.

Obviously Yzerman knew very well what we the fans didn't (Vrana and to some extent Bertuzzi)
Yup….A lot of fans seemed to have been dead wrong about this one. He couldn’t be doing any better, talk about a steal.

Reactions: 14ari13

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Quite many former Chicago players are doing very well on their new teams...

DET - Kubalik, 12 games, 6+9=15p (2nd at team points) 2.5M caphit
WSH - D.Strome, 14 games, 4+8=12p (2nd in team points) 3.5M caphit
MTL - Dach, 12 games, 2+8=10p (3rd in team points) 3.362M caphit
TBL - Hagel, 12 games, 4+6=10p (4th in team points) 1.5M caphit
OTT - Debrincat, 11 games, 2+7=9p (5th in team points) 6.4M caphit

... seems to be that there was something seriously wrong at last Chicago seasons. Much of underachievers.

And Yzerman smelled a great opportunity.

DeBrincat played most with Kane on recent 2 seasons.... and is struggling without him. Not easy goals anymore. Good luck for Ottawa with that 9M qualifying offer.

Reactions: 13to40

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Obviously Yzerman knew very well what we the fans didn't (Vrana and to some extent Bert
I remember seeing this and cynical old me just assumed it was just nepotism:

Results don't lie though. Seems like our pro-scouting has been been pretty great so far.

I'm sorry I doubted you, Stevie.

Reactions: Henkka

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Kubalik sucks, I just realized he's falling way behind McDavid now. If he doesn't start doubling his output, he might as well change his name to Auston Matthews or some other loser, maybe Marner.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So now all you really have to show for that is a worse draft position. Yes, the goal shouldn't be to tank every year, but the upcoming draft is thought to be one of the best in years.

Mm. Kubalik has contained his rage for as long as possible, but he shall unleash his fury upon you like the crashing of a thousand waves! Begone, vile man! Begone from him! A tanking season? This season is a playoff season! A season of gods! The golden god! Kubalik is untethered, and his rage knows no bounds!

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Kubalik sucks, I just realized he's falling way behind McDavid now. If he doesn't start doubling his output, he might as well change his name to Auston Matthews or some other loser, maybe Marner.
Very weird skating technique… but one hell of a shot. He’s pretty much what the wings have been lacking for a while; a bigger body with one hell of a freakin’ laserbeam of a shot.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Very weird skating technique… but one hell of a shot. He’s pretty much what the wings have been lacking for a while; a bigger body with one hell of a freakin’ laserbeam of a shot.

He is everything what Zadina was hoped to be.

Got from free market, we are ready to send Zadina for a draft pick and move on.

They also had him playing with Strome and Kurashev. Not exactly top talents.

Still, all Chicago "leftovers" have done very decently on their new teams...

... except DeBrincat, which was most locked with P.Kane for last 2 seasons and seems to be a product of his playmaking with inflated scoring.

Reactions: 13to40

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Only bad part of the signing at this point is that it’s only two years and he’s looking at a BIG pay jump if he keeps going anywhere close to the way he’s played so far.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Only bad part of the signing at this point is that it’s only two years and he’s looking at a BIG pay jump if he keeps going anywhere close to the way he’s played so far.
If we keep getting $8-10M value out of a $2.5M contract there is no bad part. He'll deserve a big pay jump if he keeps it up. We should approach him this summer with an extension. Nothing too crazy but see if he'll go for like a $6Mx6 or a $7Mx5. He might bite on a show of loyalty that the Hawks didn't show him. I know player personalities and agents are two very different things, but he seems like a legitimately "happy to be here and grateful to be shown the opportunity to grow with this team" from various clips and interviews.

Reactions: Ricelund

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Still, all Chicago "leftovers" have done very decently on their new teams...

... except DeBrincat, which was most locked with P.Kane for last 2 seasons and seems to be a product of his playmaking with inflated scoring.

Any sane fan saw this coming though. DeBrincat under normal circumstances is a lower tier 1st liner/upper tier 2nd liner but playing with Patrick Kane elevated his stats. Giroux is still a very good playmaker but not as good as Kane, nor does he have the chemistry Kane and DeBrincat had.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If we keep getting $8-10M value out of a $2.5M contract there is no bad part. He'll deserve a big pay jump if he keeps it up. We should approach him this summer with an extension. Nothing too crazy but see if he'll go for like a $6Mx6 or a $7Mx5. He might bite on a show of loyalty that the Hawks didn't show him.

It's kind of crazy if he can keep that production going. Gonna regress, but still, he is overplaying that value easily even with some regression.

And when considering we are having Raymond and Seider at ELCs, under 1M caphits, when they are playing at 5-8M levels.

This could be that we could reach the SC finals as soon as next season, like Hawks did when Kane and Toews were at ELCs.

If Yzerman will bolster this team for 80M level at real salaries (at next season), with those steals we could have real roster value being at 100M, and then that team could be one of the main 2023-24 SC contenders.

When you have 2-3 big cap steals on your roster and rest of the roster is legit and worth of their contracts, it just does the thing.

Reactions: Ricelund

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

I will say when I saw Kubalik in the list of non-tenders I did immediately want the Wings to bring him in. I didn't think he'd break out big like this. I also do think that THIS is a bit of a mirage. Just like Nyquist Explosion Nyquist was a little bit of smoke and mirrors even though he wasn't exactly "getting lucky". Kubalik will come back to earth... he's not gonna be PPG+ the whole year. I'd love to be wrong, but he's gonna hit a rough patch somewhere. It's why Chicago let him go for nothing and why he accepted 2.5M from Detroit.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I will say when I saw Kubalik in the list of non-tenders I did immediately want the Wings to bring him in. I didn't think he'd break out big like this. I also do think that THIS is a bit of a mirage. Just like Nyquist Explosion Nyquist was a little bit of smoke and mirrors even though he wasn't exactly "getting lucky". Kubalik will come back to earth... he's not gonna be PPG+ the whole year. I'd love to be wrong, but he's gonna hit a rough patch somewhere. It's why Chicago let him go for nothing and why he accepted 2.5M from Detroit.

He probably could go 1 PPG if he had better linemates. His passing game shows he's not "smoke and mirrors", but I doubt he can sustain 17.6% SH%. He's not Alex Tanguay, lol. (18.6% career SH%)

That second line would be a lot more dangerous if Copp was able to drive the play.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
How do you demote this guy when Bert and Vrana come back. You can't right? Keep him in the top-6 and top pp unit I say.
Yeah i don't think you can, unless he goes super cold.

Guess they'll have to slot either Vrana or Perron on the third line?

Third line will look pretty good when Fabri get back.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Thought I’d gloat a little

Something something, broken clocks, right twice a day, something something.

How do you demote this guy when Bert and Vrana come back. You can't right? Keep him in the top-6 and top pp unit I say.

Vrana's goalscoring totals under Blashill covered up the fact that he's atrocious defensively. Kubalik has not been a liability while being a better overall scorer in his brief time with Detroit. If anything, Kubalik being as good as he is makes it easy to trade one of Vrana or Bert.

Reactions: norrisnick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad