Rumor: Wings pursuing Kovalchuk?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sign Kovalchuk for 1-year 5M and trade him to condender with 50% retention.

Kovy is getting Marleau's deal at worst.

Hey if they sign him I will find it curious. I think ultimately he isn't interested in being on a team that is this bad. But I don't fault them for pitching him, Kovy is still a pretty good player and his body has kept miles off for a little while now like how Jagr came back refreshed for a little while.

I don't think we lineup correctly. But again I am encouraged we still get in the room to make a pitch.

If I am Kovy I sign with Florida if I am going away from the normal talked about places. No state tax, live in Miami and hopefully you get to be the other winger with Hubie and Barkov.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wish Pavel come here , not Kovi

Really doubt it, I think the only time we see Datsyuk is when they honor the 08' Championship team for something.

giphy.gif

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't see why Kovalchuk would even consider coming to Detroit if he wants to win. Why come back to the NHL at the age of 35 and join a team who won't even make the playoffs? He doesn't need the money, he needs to find a way to sign in SJ or LA.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
The problem is not that Kovalchuk would comer over, the problem is that the senile GM actually contacted a 35 years old UFA again!
He is rebuilding, right?

Reactions: lilidk

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He has said numerous times that he wants to play for the Cup, can't even believe he would listen to the Wings at this point, even if the Wings have interest. Why would Kovy want to sign with us, then get traded at the deadline, makes no sense from his side. Doesn't make sense from our side either, and I truly wonder if there is even any truth the Wings are talking to him. Even if he did sign, and lets say he put up 55 PTS in 70 GP (About what I think he will put up, being 35 and out of the league for 3 years), what does that get us, another 5-10 pts in the standings, still not good enough for the playoffs, and a worse draft pick. Its a double whammy!

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Some thoughts on this:
1) I think one thing that we should keep in mind is that while Holland is rebuilding he has never favoured the scorched earth style rebuild so this kind of news shouldn't surprise anyone.
2) "Tire kicking" has become a meme around here but it is not a bad thing. I, for one, am glad to see Holland exploring every means possible to add talent to this team. We need it.
3) With our depth on the wings, a move like this could give Holland more flexibility to move Mantha/Svech/AA/etc. for a young dman or unload Kovy later in the year for picks/prospects.

No downside to exploring this option but I doubt much will come of it.

How does moving Mantha for a defenceman help though? Kovy will be gone shortly regardless and then we now don't have Mantha to boot!

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
How does moving Mantha for a defenceman help though? Kovy will be gone shortly regardless and then we now don't have Mantha to boot!

Mantha would would be one of the last guys I’d like to see traded but you have to consider it for the right defenceman.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I don't see why Kovalchuk would even consider coming to Detroit if he wants to win. Why come back to the NHL at the age of 35 and join a team who won't even make the playoffs? He doesn't need the money, he needs to find a way to sign in SJ or LA.

For the record, I dont think he's coming to Detroit. I think he's negotiating with as many teams as possible in order to up his value.

The argument for coming to Detroit would be that they are not likely making the playoffs, meaning that at the TDL he could be traded to a legit contender.

For a UFA, best case scenario is signing with a legit contender (but that's easier said then done), 2nd best scenario is signing with a bad team that can trade you at the TDL, worst case is signing with a fringe team that may be a playoff team, but not good enough to do any damage, and not bad enough to trade you (think us in 2014).
At least by signing with Detroit, he has a high chance of being traded to a legit contender come TDL, especially if its 1 year with a modified NTC.

Reactions: njx9

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
Kovalchuk will go to a team that is going to contend.. I bet a team with nice weather like LA that needs goal scoring desperately.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Do not want at all at this point.

If it was a 1 year deal that we could afford without compromising the future, I think it would be silly to not want him. Its pretty much a guaranteed 1st or 2nd round pick (maybe at worst 3rd) at the TDL baring injury.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
For the record, I dont think he's coming to Detroit. I think he's negotiating with as many teams as possible in order to up his value.

The argument for coming to Detroit would be that they are not likely making the playoffs, meaning that at the TDL he could be traded to a legit contender.

For a UFA, best case scenario is signing with a legit contender (but that's easier said then done), 2nd best scenario is signing with a bad team that can trade you at the TDL, worst case is signing with a fringe team that may be a playoff team, but not good enough to do any damage, and not bad enough to trade you (think us in 2014).
At least by signing with Detroit, he has a high chance of being traded to a legit contender come TDL, especially if its 1 year with a modified NTC.

This implies he's signing a 1 year deal. He's 35, he's not signing a 1 year deal.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Leave him to play for another team, let the team pass or fail based on the players we think may have a shot here, move forward.

I think the best case scenario is he plays well enough to get us a 1st round pick (which means he would then improve the team's record based on a factor that won't be there once he is gone), but with him at 35 and not playing in the NHL for 5 seasons I have no idea what he will do, and he could either do terribly (which doesn't really matter since we aren't planning on making the playoffs anyway), or play decent and be a positive addition to the team for a year (which I would prefer not happen since I want the team to have a high draft pick or do well based on how the kids play).

It is very unlikely he would even come here in the first place, but I am not so optimistic about a potential Kovalchuk signing as others here.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Kenny just said his hope is that we have 2-5 kids in the age range of 19-22 on the roster that weren't on it this past year (link below). I think we can expect to see some pretty decent shake ups of the roster this year, but if he has approached Kovalchuk, giving him a fallback plan made of a lucrative 1 year deal and an offer to trade him to whatever contender he would like to be a part of during next season, I won't fault him. If he's basically trying to buy draft picks on the UFA market, I am completely okay with it; if he's trying to lock Kovalchuk in for a few years, then all I see is a lot of contradictory statements and no clear direction.

Detroit News top 20 Red Wings prospects

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
This implies he's signing a 1 year deal. He's 35, he's not signing a 1 year deal.

Nobody knows what he's going to do, I simply laid out a scenario where we should sign him, and where he would want to sign. A 35 year old who hasnt played in the NHL for years signing a 1 year deal is probably a bit more realistic then what you think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad