Rumor: Wings pursuing Kovalchuk?

Richard Moistmaker

May 9, 2018
The only use Kovi would have at this point in time would be an asset to move at the trade deadline. Don't really need another old winger taking ice time from the kids

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
This won't be a problem unless said interest leads to involvement in a bidding war. It's great if Kovalchuk wants to come here with a contract worthy of an aging player that hasn't played top tier hockey in years. But if he's looking to get paid like he's still in his prime I hope Wings stay far far away.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I hear Chris Pronger's contract is finally expired too...start kicking tires! We just have to be careful or Kovalchuk might end up with an ironclad NMC.

I loved Kovalchuk's game when he was originally in the NHL, but I don't see a reason in pursuing this. Limited upside for signing Kovalchuk at the cost in order to try to pawn him off on a contender. Would rather not add another winger to complicate the integration of younger players into more prominent roles for a majority of the season.

Reactions: jkutswings

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Kovy isn’t coming to Detroit on a one year deal so the Wings can just trade him at the TDL.

Wings need to ensure they suck right when the season starts. Any extra points in the standings will only hurt the Wings going forward.

Although maybe Kovy really likes Little Caesar’s Pizza.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Kovy isn’t coming to Detroit on a one year deal so the Wings can just trade him at the TDL.

Wings need to ensure they suck right when the season starts. Any extra points in the standings will only hurt the Wings going forward.

Although maybe Kovy really likes Little Caesar’s Pizza.

This is probably a crazy thought, but here goes anyway. Competitors for the Cup are most likely up against the Cap. So maybe Kovy goes somewhere like Detroit/some other bottom team with a healthy salary that he might not be able from a competitor. He shows his wares in Detroit and gets traded to a competitor when they can better afford him. Kovy wins by getting more money and his chance at the Cup, Detroit gets a decent package for him. Crazy I know! :)

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
There is no way he signs with Detroit. I don't even know why he would consider it. It makes zero sense. We are a bottom 5 NHL team in salary cap hell, unable to properly start a rebuild due to numerous garbage contracts. Why would he want to sign with Detroit?

Unless it's a 1-year deal, and we flip him at the deadline for a pick, then no thanks.

Reactions: Marky9er

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
There is no way he signs with Detroit. I don't even know why he would consider it. It makes zero sense. We are a bottom 5 NHL team in salary cap hell, unable to properly start a rebuild due to numerous garbage contracts. Why would he want to sign with Detroit?

Unless it's a 1-year deal, and we flip him at the deadline for a pick, then no thanks.

How do our garbage contracts stop us from properly starting a rebuild? And I don't think the Wings are in the hell you think they are.

Reactions: Sentinel

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Guessing he only met with Detroit out of deference to Fedorov, Datsyuk, and all the other Russian players who played for Detroit. Not a chance he signs here, if he says he only wants to play for a winner.

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
Would only like him here if the RW then trade another forward away. I do not like the idea of him taking a spot from one of the younger forwards.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Some thoughts on this:
1) I think one thing that we should keep in mind is that while Holland is rebuilding he has never favoured the scorched earth style rebuild so this kind of news shouldn't surprise anyone.
2) "Tire kicking" has become a meme around here but it is not a bad thing. I, for one, am glad to see Holland exploring every means possible to add talent to this team. We need it.
3) With our depth on the wings, a move like this could give Holland more flexibility to move Mantha/Svech/AA/etc. for a young dman or unload Kovy later in the year for picks/prospects.

No downside to exploring this option but I doubt much will come of it.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The one thing that scares me is a lot of the contenders are near the cap, so I can totally see this being "Detroit strikes out on JT and overpays Kovy" situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad