Prospect Info: Wings Prospect Discussion

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
5 Wings prospects will be playing in the NCAA tournament starting Thursday.

Jack Adams and Notre Dame face off against the dogs without honor from North Dakota.

Kyle Aucoin and Harvard squeaked in and will face Minnesota State.

Finally, Tou, Boomer and The Passenger will play UMass Lowell. That'll be a late game on Thursday, for you 9-5ers.
I'm guessing that "The Passenger" is Mazur. Why do you call him that?

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Mazur is Bertuzzi clone , I believe
So we should have traded him then! lol

I really like Mazur and Hanas for hard players who have taken quicker steps forward with their respective clubs than expected and both are 2nd rounders.
Bert is a 2nd rounder who played NA hockey and just kept playing the same style at every level. Can these two?

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I'm guessing that "The Passenger" is Mazur. Why do you call him that?
Pretty much what Ogee said above. Mazur scored at a very giod clip for a frosh this year and his detractors made it seem like every point he got was due to his "more skilled" teamates bouncing the puck off his ass and into the net.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
5 Wings prospects will be playing in the NCAA tournament starting Thursday.

Jack Adams and Notre Dame face off against the dogs without honor from North Dakota.

Kyle Aucoin and Harvard squeaked in and will face Minnesota State.

Finally, Tou, Boomer and The Passenger will play UMass Lowell. That'll be a late game on Thursday, for you 9-5ers.
Cooper Moore is also playing for North Dakota, I believe.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
So is it safe to say tuomisto is basically done ? Or is there something I’m missing. Very injured this season and took a big step back point wise. Still has skating issues. Is there any potential there at all or are we looking at a busted pick? I don’t ever watch college hockey so haven’t seen many full games from him.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
So is it safe to say tuomisto is basically done ? Or is there something I’m missing. Very injured this season and took a big step back point wise. Still has skating issues. Is there any potential there at all or are we looking at a busted pick? I don’t ever watch college hockey so haven’t seen many full games from him.
I've never been much of a fan of his profile and things aren't looking great for him right now, but there's still time left. Next season will be a big one for him and will likely determine whether or not he gets a contract.

He was in that category of "swing-for-the-fences" big defensemen (Tuomisto, Wallinder, Buium) that Yzerman has gone for since he arrived here. I'm fine with that overall strategy, but with it is going to come some whiffs.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He hasn't played in a couple of weeks. I have heard that he is injured but can't really verify it. His skating has improved from a technical perspective quite a bit over last year, but he is still lacking explosiveness (which is very important). Think of him as a big guy who still needs to get a lot stronger. He is a fluid skater but not overly powerful if that makes sense.

I honestly don't know what to make of him as a prospect. I certainly wouldn't sign him to a contract right now given everyone heading to GR next year, but I will admit he is probably better suited to the pro game than most of the defensemen DU runs out each weekend. I have said it before that I like the way that he passes the puck. If he can tighten things up even further defensively with a bit more explosiveness, there may be something there.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
I don't see NHL upside. He is just too slow and clunky on his feet. Could carve out a role in the AHL though.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Update on Buium from EP! Basically confirming the good reports that @Rzombo4 prez have been feeding us.

Shai Buium, D, Denver - NCAA (Detroit Red Wings, 36th overall, 2021 NHL Draft)​

We were a divided group when it came to projecting Buium. Some saw him as a high second-rounder, emphasizing his tools. The rest saw the defensive and decision-making concerns as potentially crippling, giving him late-round status. His No. 61-overall ranking in the 2021 Draft Guide reflects the middle ground. In hindsight, he might’ve been ranked 20-to-30 spots too low.

Of the three players in this article, Buium’s skill level with the puck is the highest. While his skating’s far from Zellweger’s level, the impact’s the same -- he’s highly deceptive in every situation. He doesn’t just deceive though; he manipulates. It’s visible on the breakout, where he identifies the best play and uses his deceptiveness to move defenders out of his desired lane. In the offensive end, he manipulates defenders to open passing lanes to the net or dekes around them to improve the location of his shot.

Despite the enhanced pace of the NCAA, the game has only slowed for Buium. Last year, two common mistakes were manipulating the defender but waiting too long before making the next play and cutting back into pressure instead of advancing the puck. Those hardly register as issues anymore; he’s simultaneously more patient and aggressive.

Defence remains a weakness in Buium’s game. It may never be a strength, at least not in the traditional areas. He’s mostly a reactive, over-committing defender. But his gap continues to tighten, as does his scanning habits and off-puck defence. It’s clear that he cares about defence. He’s still turnover-prone after retrieving the puck, but his scanning habits have improved – it’ll come down to play selection and continued skating growth.

Buium still projects as a middle-pairing, puck-moving defenceman with power play and point-getting upside, but the improvements have increased his odds of making the NHL. He’ll need another year or two with Denver as he continued developing his skating, defence, and ironing out some of the turnovers.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Update on Buium from EP! Basically confirming the good reports that @Rzombo4 prez have been feeding us.

Shai Buium, D, Denver - NCAA (Detroit Red Wings, 36th overall, 2021 NHL Draft)​

We were a divided group when it came to projecting Buium. Some saw him as a high second-rounder, emphasizing his tools. The rest saw the defensive and decision-making concerns as potentially crippling, giving him late-round status. His No. 61-overall ranking in the 2021 Draft Guide reflects the middle ground. In hindsight, he might’ve been ranked 20-to-30 spots too low.

Of the three players in this article, Buium’s skill level with the puck is the highest. While his skating’s far from Zellweger’s level, the impact’s the same -- he’s highly deceptive in every situation. He doesn’t just deceive though; he manipulates. It’s visible on the breakout, where he identifies the best play and uses his deceptiveness to move defenders out of his desired lane. In the offensive end, he manipulates defenders to open passing lanes to the net or dekes around them to improve the location of his shot.

Despite the enhanced pace of the NCAA, the game has only slowed for Buium. Last year, two common mistakes were manipulating the defender but waiting too long before making the next play and cutting back into pressure instead of advancing the puck. Those hardly register as issues anymore; he’s simultaneously more patient and aggressive.

Defence remains a weakness in Buium’s game. It may never be a strength, at least not in the traditional areas. He’s mostly a reactive, over-committing defender. But his gap continues to tighten, as does his scanning habits and off-puck defence. It’s clear that he cares about defence. He’s still turnover-prone after retrieving the puck, but his scanning habits have improved – it’ll come down to play selection and continued skating growth.

Buium still projects as a middle-pairing, puck-moving defenceman with power play and point-getting upside, but the improvements have increased his odds of making the NHL. He’ll need another year or two with Denver as he continued developing his skating, defence, and ironing out some of the turnovers.

Buium vs Wallinder. FIGHT!

Reactions: golffuul

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I still see pre-draft K'Andre Miller in Buium. Perhaps a little behind where Miller was at that time. I'm A big fan of this kid. Looking forward to the tournament.

Reactions: bedtime20

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I still see pre-draft K'Andre Miller in Buium. Perhaps a little behind where Miller was at that time. I'm A big fan of this kid. Looking forward to the tournament.

I think K’Andre was more physical than Buium. But I’d be through the roof if he could turn into a K’Andre Miller type.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
DU plays UMass Lowell at 9:00 EST tonight. The game will be televised on ESPNU for anyone who is interested.

I don't get the K'Andre Miller comparison to Buium at all. Miller was a great four-way skater who struggled to defend in college because he didn't give a shit (and was pretty soft). Buium doesn't defend overly well because of his skating, not a lack of effort. Miller was also a much more dangerous transition player who liked to transport the puck. That isn't really Buium's game at the moment.

Reactions: lilidk

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
DU plays UMass Lowell at 9:00 EST tonight. The game will be televised on ESPNU for anyone who is interested.

I don't get the K'Andre Miller comparison to Buium at all. Miller was a great four-way skater who struggled to defend in college because he didn't give a shit (and was pretty soft). Buium doesn't defend overly well because of his skating, not a lack of effort. Miller was also a much more dangerous transition player who liked to transport the puck. That isn't really Buium's game at the moment.
This. Plus Miller was a turnover machine that drove coaches and fans bezerk. I was pleased when he left Madison.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Bednar is having a strong March so far, 92.9% in 8 games, which has taken his season save-% from 90.4% to 91.0%. Last 5 games even more so, 94.5%.

Reactions: bedtime20

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
AlJo had a quietly productive season. Good to see. Also of the top 10 that are defensemen, we have 3 of the 4. Bodes well.

Reactions: Killerjas

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I wonder if Wallinder played his way onto the summer world junior team, or if they;; feel guilty by not sending someone who made it at Christmas time and leave him at home. I think his play this year would mean hes there all things considered

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad