Prospect Info: Wings Prospect Discussion

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Anyone else really love our draft last year in retrospect? Almost all of our guys are doing good or at least solid, and I know many of the Draper picks cause of nepotism or other reasons were criticized but so far they are panning out.

I liked it at the time. Gotta do a checkup to review it now.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Anyone else really love our draft last year in retrospect? Almost all of our guys are doing good or at least solid, and I know many of the Draper picks cause of nepotism or other reasons were criticized but so far they are panning out.

I'm pleasantly surprised. Detroit drafted a couple guys I liked as late round picks in Savage and Dower-Nilsson. Mazur has made me a fan pretty quickly and made me almost forget about Anton Olsson and Simon Robertsson. And although I really was hoping for McTavish, Eklund and/or Svechkov I have been very impressed by Edvinsson's season in Frolunda. I'd say it's comparable to Seider's rookie season in the AHL in terms of defensive impact. I haven't had a chance to see much of Zito other than him KOing that Mailleaux kid but Windsor fans speak highly of him.

I'm still iffy on Cossa over Wallstedt and hope we win this gamble. Also Carson Lambos was still on the table and that kid should have been a top 12 pick. Detroit taking him would have given them a very mobile and very mean top 3 defensemen in the very near future.

And I'm also iffy on Buium over Josh Doan, Francesco Pinelli, Logan Stankoven, Matthew Knies, Alex Kisakov, and even Aatu Raty. But Buium is the kind of player that we probably won't see him in a Wings sweater until 2026, so there will be some delayed gratification there if he makes it.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
I'm pleasantly surprised. Detroit drafted a couple guys I liked as late round picks in Savage and Dower-Nilsson. Mazur has made me a fan pretty quickly and made me almost forget about Anton Olsson and Simon Robertsson. And although I really was hoping for McTavish, Eklund and/or Svechkov I have been very impressed by Edvinsson's season in Frolunda. I'd say it's comparable to Seider's rookie season in the AHL in terms of defensive impact. I haven't had a chance to see much of Zito other than him KOing that Mailleaux kid but Windsor fans speak highly of him.

I'm still iffy on Cossa over Wallstedt and hope we win this gamble. Also Carson Lambos was still on the table and that kid should have been a top 12 pick. Detroit taking him would have given them a very mobile and very mean top 3 defensemen in the very near future.

And I'm also iffy on Buium over Josh Doan, Francesco Pinelli, Logan Stankoven, Matthew Knies, Alex Kisakov, and even Aatu Raty. But Buium is the kind of player that we probably won't see him in a Wings sweater until 2026, so there will be some delayed gratification there if he makes it.
Mactavish was my guy and probably the only guy I’d take over edvinsson in a redraft as of now. To me he just has it and will be a pavelski like player in the future. I’m also wary of the cossa pick but I feel a lot better about it knowing cossas mindset, he has the athletic talent and mindset to be great. As for buium I really like the pick, honestly all three of edvinsson, cossa and buium were guys i wanted to target so I’m ecstatic with last years draft.

Reactions: MBH

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan

Buium fits the archetype of big, toolsy defenseman that need a lot of TLC before their ready we've gone after at the top of the 2nd recently. Tuomisto, Wallinder and Buium all are in that mold, and none of them were anywhere close to being ready. Wallinder has really emerged as a legit threat to make the NHL some day, and as you've said Buium (and also Tuo I'd reckon) will go deep into the college eligibility before we see them.

Otherwise it looks like a good draft, I think at least two more guys outside the first round will get contracts and after that who knows how many make the NHL.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
With Hanas signing, I believe this is where Yzerman's drafted players currently stand:
PlayerYearPosRoundStatus22-League
Moritz Seider2019RD1stSignedNHL
Lucas Raymond2020RW1stSignedNHL
Simon Edvinsson2021LD1stUnsignedSHL
Sebastian Cossa2021G1stSignedWHL
Antti Tuomisto2019RD2ndUnsignedNCAA
Robert Mastrosimone2019LW2ndUnsignedNCAA
Albert Johansson2019LD2ndSignedSHL
William Wallinder2020LD2ndUnsignedSHL
Theodor Niederback2020RW2ndUnsignedSHL
Cross Hanas2020RW2ndSignedWHL
Shai Buium2021LD2ndUnsignedNCAA
Albin Grewe2019LW3rdUnsignedAlsvkstn
Donavan Sebrango2020LD3rdSignedAHL
Eemil Viro2020LD3rdSignedLIGA
Carter Mazur2021LW3rdUnsignedNCAA
Ethan Phillips2019C4thUnsignedNCAA
Cooper Moore2019LD4thUnsignedNCAA
Sam Stange2020RW4thUnsignedNCAA
Jan Bednar2020G4thUnsignedQMJHL
Red Savage2021C4thUnsignedNCAA
Elmer Soderblom2019C5thUnsignedSHL
Alex Cotton2020D5thUnsignedWHL
Liam Dower Nilsson2021C/LW5thUnsignedSHL-j
Oscar Plandowski2021RD5thUnsignedQMJHL
Gustav Berglund2019RD6thUnsignedAlsvkstn
Kyle Aucoin2020D6thUnsignedNCAA
Kienen Draper2020RW6thUnsignedBCHL
Pasquale Zito2021LW6thUnsignedOHL
Kirill Tyutyayev2019LW7thUnsignedAHL
Carter Gylander2019G7thUnsignedNCAA
Chase Bradley2020LW7thUnsignedNCAA

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Looking at the 2nd rounders:

I think that Niederback and Wallinder may get contracts after this season and play in NA next year.
I am not sure if Tuomisto or Mastro get contracts though I hope Mastro does, I think he just needs more size and would be worlds better.
Shai Buium is honestly not a player I am familiar with.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
With Hanas signing, I believe this is where Yzerman's drafted players currently stand:
PlayerYearPosRoundStatus22-League
Moritz Seider2019RD1stSignedNHL
Lucas Raymond2020RW1stSignedNHL
Simon Edvinsson2021LD1stUnsignedSHL
Sebastian Cossa2021G1stSignedWHL
Antti Tuomisto2019RD2ndUnsignedNCAA
Robert Mastrosimone2019LW2ndUnsignedNCAA
Albert Johansson2019LD2ndSignedSHL
William Wallinder2020LD2ndUnsignedSHL
Theodor Niederback2020RW2ndUnsignedSHL
Cross Hanas2020RW2ndSignedWHL
Shai Buium2021LD2ndUnsignedNCAA
Albin Grewe2019LW3rdUnsignedAlsvkstn
Donavan Sebrango2020LD3rdSignedAHL
Eemil Viro2020LD3rdSignedLIGA
Carter Mazur2021LW3rdUnsignedNCAA
Ethan Phillips2019C4thUnsignedNCAA
Cooper Moore2019LD4thUnsignedNCAA
Sam Stange2020RW4thUnsignedNCAA
Jan Bednar2020G4thUnsignedQMJHL
Red Savage2021C4thUnsignedNCAA
Elmer Soderblom2019C5thUnsignedSHL
Alex Cotton2020D5thUnsignedWHL
Liam Dower Nilsson2021C/LW5thUnsignedSHL-j
Oscar Plandowski2021RD5thUnsignedQMJHL
Gustav Berglund2019RD6thUnsignedAlsvkstn
Kyle Aucoin2020D6thUnsignedNCAA
Kienen Draper2020RW6thUnsignedBCHL
Pasquale Zito2021LW6thUnsignedOHL
Kirill Tyutyayev2019LW7thUnsignedAHL
Carter Gylander2019G7thUnsignedNCAA
Chase Bradley2020LW7thUnsignedNCAA

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Our team is going to live and die with those second and third rounders. We need a couple of those guys to turn into real contributors. So far they're all tracking well, and they are from only recent drafts... but I wish I felt more confident about someone in that group. I like Niederbach; Buium and Wallinder have a lot of interesting tools. AlJo is my favorite type of D for the way he can use his speed to play with pace or slow the game down and create space. Every single one of them have some interesting tools. Still, none of our second or third rounders have me particularly excited. I'm rooting for them all, but when I catch games occasionally, I usually walk away a little underwhelmed. It's probably just a convergence of small sample sizes, second and third rounders usually being projects that need time, and the rapid progress of Seider, Raymond and Edvinsson spoiling me, but does anyone else feel this way?

Reactions: Crunchy

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Our team is going to live and die with those second and third rounders. We need a couple of those guys to turn into real contributors. So far they're all tracking well, and they are from only recent drafts... but I wish I felt more confident about someone in that group. I like Niederbach; Buium and Wallinder have a lot of interesting tools. AlJo is my favorite type of D for the way he can use his speed to play with pace or slow the game down and create space. Every single one of them have some interesting tools. Still, none of our second or third rounders have me particularly excited. I'm rooting for them all, but when I catch games occasionally, I usually walk away a little underwhelmed. It's probably just a convergence of small sample sizes, second and third rounders usually being projects that need time, and the rapid progress of Seider, Raymond and Edvinsson spoiling me, but does anyone else feel this way?
It is interesting that all of the 2020 2nd round picks appear on track for GR next season and only one of the three from 2019 are.
I am sure it is just coincidence, but I wonder if Yzerman started listening to some different people after the first draft as GM, its not just all about the 1st pick.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
It is interesting that all of the 2020 2nd round picks appear on track for GR next season and only one of the three from 2019 are.
I am sure it is just coincidence, but I wonder if Yzerman started listening to some different people after the first draft as GM, its not just all about the 1st pick.
He did change a lot of our staff after that first draft. While he's been relying heavily on Hakan the whole time... What I find most obvious is Yzerman's distrust of the NA scouting staff he had in 2019.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
You can't really expect non-elite college prospects to follow a similar timeline as CHLers or even Europeans in many cases.

Is there any evidence from management that Niederbach would be going to GR next season? It seems like a common belief here but it would be a significant change to what the Wings have traditionally done.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Niederbach will be going to Rögle by the sounds of it.
Just read about that today, pretty interesting but clearly Frölunda is a tough place for young guys to get consistent high ice time. Not sure if Rögle will make a huge different though. Niederbach has scored at quite a good rate considering his ice time, clearly more than Söderblom last year.

Reactions: lilidk

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Niederbach will be going to Rögle by the sounds of it.
Thats probably better for him because Frolunda has "history" and whatnot with the veterans in the lineup. Rogle seems to play younger players from the roster.

I was speculating completely based on his visibility and production given limited exposure.

If he comes to NA for camp/prospects tournament and dazzles, who knows though, right? Either way, he seems destined for a contract and thats the point of my comment.

Reactions: lilidk

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
If people wanna watch... Denver is in the NCHC Semis against Minnesota Duluth... It starts at 5 PM and is on CBS Sports Network

Mazur and Buium in the lineup... Tuomisto is not

Christien

May 1, 2010
Chase Bradley having a good game for UConn, with 2 assists so far. Game is only in the 2nd period

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
5 Wings prospects will be playing in the NCAA tournament starting Thursday.

Jack Adams and Notre Dame face off against the dogs without honor from North Dakota.

Kyle Aucoin and Harvard squeaked in and will face Minnesota State.

Finally, Tou, Boomer and The Passenger will play UMass Lowell. That'll be a late game on Thursday, for you 9-5ers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad