Confirmed with Link: Wings out of the bidding for Lecavalier, according to Khan (post #743)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
what your owner pays a compliance bought out player matters as much as what he pays the zamboni driver, that is too say, it matters 0%.

its utterly stupid to look at it like "well if we buyout player x we will have to pay him and player y which combined is more then player x"

that completely wrong. your NHL team only pays player Y, your owner from a completely different money line pay player X

its "player X was crap and not worth his contract to us, so our owner wrote a cheque freed up alot of money(money is gold in a salary cap league) and now we could go spend money elsewhere to try and get better"

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
And you conveniently leave out the fact that he was playing with the Art Ross winner and the league's premiere goal-scorer.

He isn't a good GM, at least not right now. He was handed a good team, failed to maintain it or sufficiently add to it, and has generally done a poor job. He successfully scapegoated Boucher, but I doubt that the organization will keep him if the Lightning fail to make the playoffs for another couple of seasons.

He's rightfully loved here for his time as a player, but---as we've seen numerous times over the years---being great at hockey doesn't mean you'll be an able coach or manager. Right now, the idea some have that he'd be an upgrade on Holland is comical.

I could be wrong but my recollection is he was handed a team in which Stamkos had 1 year left on an ELC.

Going forward everyone knew the cap situation was going to be a significant challenge.

Has he done a good job of re-buliding the situation...I have not followed it close enough to have an opinion but my recollection ( and again I could be wrong) it is not fair to say he was handed a good team that he failed to maintain.

I will say it is rarely a good thing when a GM has to fire his hand picked coach 3 years after hiring,
but maybe it is also a sign of somone who is able to not stay "married" to past decsions as well.

Time will tell.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
What other choice did he have? Tampa had ZERO cap room.

I won't pretend to be intimately familiar with Tampa's cap charges; but the optics are pretty bad, Vinny is still very good and he's your captain man. I think "cutting someone else" had to be on the table.

I mean, I dunno; I feel bad for the guy more than anything else. Like someone said up above, he didn't sign those contracts; not his fault the team is here.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Speculation is that they will draft Barkov and have him as the new franchise Center...

They better not go spend that on another Carle or similar

Is it bad when teams in our division make terrible mistakes that cripple them for years? I love Steve too but... :)

Do YOU like Vinny mindfly? I mean I'm going to assume you don't think Holland will get him; but I'm curious to know if you'd consider that a big enough move to get us someplace? Not baiting, legit interested in knowing.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Is it bad when teams in our division make terrible mistakes that cripple them for years? I love Steve too but... :)

Do YOU like Vinny mindfly? I mean I'm going to assume you don't think Holland will get him; but I'm curious to know if you'd consider that a big enough move to get us someplace? Not baiting, legit interested in knowing.

I would love if detroit could get Vinny, but I understand the chances are slim.... and I don't want to see them go beyond 3 years and not over 6million

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I would love if detroit could get Vinny, but I understand the chances are slim.... and I don't want to see them go beyond 3 years and not over 6million

Yeah. My thoughts exactly; although I will allow for one of those 1 year 7 million type deals if he really does want to just go back to Tampa Bay in 2014-15 as some are suggesting.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Yeah. My thoughts exactly; although I will allow for one of those 1 year 7 million type deals if he really does want to just go back to Tampa Bay in 2014-15 as some are suggesting.
Despite the speculation, I can't see Lecavalier taking a one year deal at this point in his career...

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I sure as hell do. They had 2.4m to sign 5 players

Yeah I agree, cap room was a huge part of this BO. In fact, it's probably the sole reason they bought him out this year and not next. Beyond all that, they obviously didn't want to be saddled with the term of that contract either.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Despite the speculation, I can't see Lecavalier taking a one year deal at this point in his career...

I agree, that's why I said "as some have suggested". I mean, I could see him saying "I only want 3 years because I'm going to retire with Tampa"; I have a hard time believing he'd purposely ask for a one year contract.

Otoh, I wouldn't have guessed Semin would sign a 1 year 7M deal and he did so not gonna make silly predictions. I do agree tho, I think a 1 year deal is unlikely; just not impossible.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
The M word.

Malik.

Yeah that was pretty dumb. There's also some guy from one of those Bleacher report type sites that described him as an "elite passer" which is; really, really funny.

I don't hate him as much as some do here, but Lashoff is definitely a black hole with the puck. Guy screams 7th defenseman for the rest of his life to me.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Speaking of Malik, I'm surprised he hasn't shot down the Lecavalier discussion yet.

Sort of like "there's no way Yzerman becomes Tampa's GM" or "there's no way Detroit signs Modano."

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah that was pretty dumb. There's also some guy from one of those Bleacher report type sites that described him as an "elite passer" which is; really, really funny.

I don't hate him as much as some do here, but Lashoff is definitely a black hole with the puck. Guy screams 7th defenseman for the rest of his life to me.

You're wrong and you're dumb and I hate you. Kidding. I like Lashoff more than most around here apparently, and I disagree about his puck-moving ability, but even I don't think he's in the same universe as Brad Stuart.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
That's not true Lecavalier according to behindthenet his top 5 linemates at 5 vs 5 that he played the most with were Carle, Brewer, St.Louis, Pouliot & Hedman. At 5 vs 4 he played with top line PP so it's expected he would play with those guys, though it should be noted he had 23 even strength points and only 9 PP points.

It's not like we're signing a washed up Holik here, Levavalier was a #1C for a decade & is now a good #2C. These type of opportunities where you can add a player like this without giving up assets do not come along very often & I hope that we give him a fair contract for his services.

Agreed, Holland would be stupid not to at least throw him a FAIR AND RESPECTFUL contract offer.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Today I have learned that Malik excitedly stating yet another inane comment is akin to something being "reposted over and over and over and over and over again" :laugh:
But the other thing too is that most people meant the Stuart comparison in the sense of the underperforming Brad Stuart we knew for a few years in Detroit. He had a stretch where he was a pretty iffy #4, so I don't think the Lashoff comparison was such a crime. Mind you, the comparison first came about not that long after Lashoff won gold at the WJC with Team USA. There was a time when he seemed like he had some promise to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad