Confirmed with Link: Wings out of the bidding for Lecavalier, according to Khan (post #743)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
If Tampa wants him, why are they buying him out?

Why not buyout Salo and Ohlund.

Dude, Vinny is owed 30 million over the next three years with a 7.7m contract that doesn't end until 2020. Instead, they'll get rid of the contract and pay him the 30 million over the next what, 15 years? Way more cost effective.

RedWingsNow*

Dude, Vinny is owed 30 million over the next three years with a 7.7m contract that doesn't end until 2020. Instead, they'll get rid of the contract and pay him the 30 million over the next what, 15 years? Way more cost effective.

So is this about salary? Or cap?

So you might have to sign Filppula or Weiss and pay them $5M.
And then you still owe Lecavalier and you downgraded.

You also kicked your captain to the curb.

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
you gotta remember though if Seth Jones goes in the top 2 Tampa gets a center likely with the 3rd overall pick.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
working against montreal, like with all FAs, is the tax situation. by far the worst in the league. they'll have to overpay to get him, which they may be willing to do. but between that and the added pressure, vinny's choice isn't so clear. i think we've got a shot at him if holland and co. decide they want him. with weiss as seemingly our top target though, looks like a 2C is our top priority of the offseason.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto

Wait, are we now gonna start fighting about if YZERMAN is a good GM? *backs away slowly* :)

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Imagine if Detroit bought our their Captain who has served for what 13 years and played for 15?

Cojones...Balls :yo:

Yep...I'm sure every Wings fan is just longing for the days when our team will be more like the Tampa Bay Lightning.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
No judgement.
Just trying to understand.

Was just a joke, I'm trying to get along :) I know we don't see eye to eye. Personally I don't think there's a whole lot of evidence he's any good as a GM yet; obviously rooting for the guy but considering how the TB thing is going so far, I'm REALLY glad nobody listened to the wackos who wanted us to put Holland out to pasture so we could keep Yzerman as a GM.

Being fair tho, I don't think Tampa's situation means Steve is bad. I really think it's a difficult roster situation and few people would have had a lot of success there. Still, I don't think anyone (Yzerman included) would tell you it's "going well".

Again, just my opinion.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
You have to think TB is taking Barkov at 3rd overall now.

For us I think this means Lecavalier is our #1 target on the FA market. He can still score, .80 point per game over the past 4 seasons, though he has become injury prone over those 4 seasons missing 44 games. I think he'd slot in nicely as our #2C & he would really give us a dynamic 2nd line. He can hit, score, pass & over the past 2 years he's become more responsible defensively. A second line of Franzen-Lecavalier-Nyquist would be our best 2nd line since the 08-09 playoffs & we would be legit Stanley cup threats.

I'm not sure what to offer him though. He's better then the rest of the FA market but he's also older than most of the big name players. Even with his age he's the most productive player but I feel like if we give him a 4-5 year deal it'll be a ticking time bomb. If we could get for 3 years x 18M-19.5 I think I'd pull the trigger on it.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Stephen Weiss isn't comparable. Throw all the stats around you want.
By the way, where do you think Vinny's 10 goals and 32 points would have been on Detroit last year?

Third.

And you conveniently leave out the fact that he was playing with the Art Ross winner and the league's premiere goal-scorer.

Wait, are we now gonna start fighting about if YZERMAN is a good GM? *backs away slowly* :)

He isn't a good GM, at least not right now. He was handed a good team, failed to maintain it or sufficiently add to it, and has generally done a poor job. He successfully scapegoated Boucher, but I doubt that the organization will keep him if the Lightning fail to make the playoffs for another couple of seasons.

He's rightfully loved here for his time as a player, but---as we've seen numerous times over the years---being great at hockey doesn't mean you'll be an able coach or manager. Right now, the idea some have that he'd be an upgrade on Holland is comical.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

I think it HAS to be about salary, they're saving about 10m in real money by doing this and they don't have to pay him 30m in 3 years. It's basically like using a credit card.

RedWingsNow*

Was just a joke, I'm trying to get along :) I know we don't see eye to eye.

I get along best with people who don't care if we see eye to eye, and who don't get offended when I disagree with them.
We all bring something different to the table.
And from time to time, it's a food fight

RedWingsNow*

I think it HAS to be about salary, they're saving about 10m in real money by doing this and they don't have to pay him 30m in 3 years. It's basically like using a credit card.

Yeah, this isn't a good sign, for Tampa.
I thought their new owner was a big spender? As a hockey move, I don't see this.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
I would have to think that if DET brings in Vinny (and I hope they do. Perfect fit on DET's 2nd line) its going to have to be for the money he was willing to give Filppula, or at least very close. Holland will still want to go out and get a Penner like player to add some size.

In regard to Yzerman's prowess as a GM, he's still trying to clean up the mess Lawson left so lets reserve judgememnt for now. Saw this earlier today:

Jeff Marek ‏@JeffMarek 5m
Lawton had him (Vinny) going to the Habs for Price, Pacioretty, a 1st and either Subban or McDonaugh

Lawson wouldnt pull the trigger :facepalm:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Yeah, this isn't a good sign, for Tampa.
I thought their new owner was a big spender? As a hockey move, I don't see this.

They've been trying to unload him for years though, even before Yzerman got there I think. Who signed him this deal? Sucks for Yzerman and their new owner to be anchored with that.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I would have to think that if DET brings in Vinny (and I hope they do. Perfect fit on DET's 2nd line) its going to have to be for the money he was willing to give Filppula, or at least very close. Holland will still want to go out and get a Penner like player to add some size.

In regard to Yzerman's prowess as a GM, he's still trying to clean up the mess Lawson left so lets reserve judgememnt for now. Saw this earlier today:

Jeff Marek ‏@JeffMarek 5m
Lawton had him (Vinny) going to the Habs for Price, Pacioretty, a 1st and either Subban or McDonaugh

Lawson wouldnt pull the trigger :facepalm:

Yeah, I saw that reported earlier this year. What an insane package.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I get along best with people who don't care if we see eye to eye, and who don't get offended when I disagree with them.
We all bring something different to the table.
And from time to time, it's a food fight

So back to on topic: I think getting Vinny would basically represent a do over on the Hossa/Franzen decision 90% of us would like to have back. He's basically the single best player for what we need I can remember actually being available in a while.

And yes, I think I agree with you: this is a mistake for Yzerman, I am starting to wonder if he's being asked to make the books look better by ownership. (yes that is pure speculation on my part.)

Last edited by a moderator:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
And you conveniently leave out the fact that he was playing with the Art Ross winner and the league's premiere goal-scorer.

That's not true Lecavalier according to behindthenet his top 5 linemates at 5 vs 5 that he played the most with were Carle, Brewer, St.Louis, Pouliot & Hedman. At 5 vs 4 he played with top line PP so it's expected he would play with those guys, though it should be noted he had 23 even strength points and only 9 PP points.

It's not like we're signing a washed up Holik here, Levavalier was a #1C for a decade & is now a good #2C. These type of opportunities where you can add a player like this without giving up assets do not come along very often & I hope that we give him a fair contract for his services.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Guys, if you want to have personal conversations about people's mannerisms and how they act on the site please take it to PMs.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
It's not like we're signing a washed up Holik here, Levavalier was a #1C for a decade & is now a good #2C. These type of opportunities where you can add a player like this without giving up assets do not come along very often & I hope that we give him a fair contract for his services.

I'm also confused as to how anyone could not want him considering or forward situation. This would be a stunning move if Holland pulled it off.

I'm really excited but also pretty nervous that we'll consider him out of the team's price range. I mean you have to think there will be at least a dozen teams trying to sign him so; can we afford that? Or even more importantly, does Holland think we can?

I sure hope he doesn't decide to play it safe; you're gonna have a hard time selling me as a fan on the idea that keeping Danny Cleary and Damien Brunner = smarter than going out to get a player as good as Vinny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad