Confirmed with Link: Wings out of the bidding for Lecavalier, according to Khan (post #743)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWingsNow*

Poor Vinny I suppose he will be happy and content playing for another team like Dallas that will never win a cup in a 5 year period while he's there. I guess the money is more important to him then playing for a winner.

this post takes the cake.
The old "If you don't sign with the Wings for whatever they offer, you must not care about winning."

First of all, Vinny has as many Cup rings as Zetterberg.
Second of all, Detroit hasn't been out of round 2 since 2009.
Third of all, Detroit was under .500 last year.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
I really think Kenny has had his eye on Weiss the whole time. I fully expect him to sign Weiss to a big contract come to July 5th.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
The old "If you don't sign with the Wings for whatever they offer, you must not care about winning."

They actually weren't...they were exactly .500

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere

Dallas hasn't been to the playoffs since 2008. Detroit's been to the playoffs every year since then.

Dats13DET

Aug 13, 2010
Canada

Red Wings were 24-16-8 last year for 56 points. We were a .500 team.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
I don't mind that Holland wouldn't commit to a 5 year deal. I'm kind of pissed if he wouldn't up the salary, though. What else are we going to use it on?
But Weiss? When it comes to what our team needs -- Weiss is not the answer

agree with pretty much everyhting.

i'd have loved to have lecavalier, but we have datsyuk, zetterberg and franzen who are past their peak years and signed for several more years. 2 or 3 years of vinnie would have been cool, but anything more than that and i'd have been worried. if he wants sth long term (probably with a nmc to boot) then he isnt a good fit for us, and we aren't a good fit for him.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Red Wings were 24-16-8 last year for 56 points. We were a .500 team.

Which is sort of disingenuous because those 8 "loser points" are still points under the rules. Given how the standings are composed by points, that's the metric that's best to use, rather than solely wins versus other.

Detroit's 56 points put them in a tie for 12th overall in the NHL. Which is a pretty appropriate placement, I'd say. They were tied for 10th if you use ROW (regulation/OT wins) so you can't even say they benefited all that greatly from the extra points.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Which is sort of disingenuous because those 8 "loser points" are still points under the rules. Given how the standings are composed by points, that's the metric that's best to use, rather than solely wins versus other.

Detroit's 56 points put them in a tie for 12th overall in the NHL. Which is a pretty appropriate placement, I'd say. They were tied for 10th if you use ROW (regulation/OT wins) so you can't even say they benefited all that greatly from the extra points.

I wanted to say all this but I was too busy watching Youtube clips to look up the stats. Thanks Bench!

:thumbu:

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
it's amazing how after all these years people still don't realize that an OT loss isn't the same as a regulation one and continue to just lump them together

Yup- the Wings won 24 games and didn't win 24 games, but thank God 8 of those were in OT or SO's... behold the magic of the loser's point! It's still funny to me that the NHL's point system had the Wings finishing ahead of the Wild in the standings despite Minny winning 2 more games.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
And I'm super disappointed about Vinny not coming to Detroit, by the way.

I do think the long-term structure of the team might have suffered, but I also think it gave us the best chance at a Cup in the next few years...

I think I need a sports hug. Anybody?

Dats13DET

Aug 13, 2010
Canada

I didn't say we greatly benefited from them, I just posted our record and how many points we had. I agree with them being loser points but we're still a .500 team none the less. 24-24.

If we're going to talk about teams that take advantage of loser points, look at the 2012 Stanley Cup Los Angeles Kings. They went 40-42. They lost 15 games in either a shootout or overtime. A team with a losing record shouldn't compete for the Stanely Cup, IMO but I guess that's how it is now a days.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 10m

Further to @aaronward_nhl report on Lecavalier, I have also been told by a Stars source, Lecavalier has eliminated Dallas from contention.

Hahaha. :laugh:

So what's the next team to freak-out?

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

Well, the extra points did get them a first round matchup against Anaheim instead of Chicago, so it put them in position to make the 2nd round.

And I'm super disappointed about Vinny not coming to Detroit, by the way.

I do think the long-term structure of the team might have suffered, but I also think it gave us the best chance at a Cup in the next few years...

I think I need a sports hug. Anybody?

View attachment 65745

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I didn't say we greatly benefited from them, I just posted our record and how many points we had. I agree with them being loser points but we're still a .500 team none the less. 24-24.

If we're going to talk about teams that take advantage of loser points, look at the 2012 Stanley Cup Los Angeles Kings. They went 40-42. They lost 15 games in either a shootout or overtime. A team with a losing record shouldn't compete for the Stanely Cup, IMO but I guess that's how it is now a days.

Your post was just the easiest to jump off of, I didn't particularly disagree with what you said.

The NHL thinks fans want a shootout. But NHL teams found it to be kind of a joke way to determine playoffs. So they minimized the impact by offering up the loser point. ROW is really the best way to see how teams are doing at throwing together wins.

And while you can say the Wings were .500 last year, they were also above more than 50% of the teams in the NHL in ROW and points. So they were a slightly above average team as compared to their competition, which to me is more accurate than simply saying they were .500. That's all.

I like to compare like things. It's a fault of mine. :laugh:

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I doubt it, unless there's a surprise team lurking out there with a ridiculous offer we don't know about...

Having flashbacks of Suter to Minnesota.

I would not be shocked to see Toronto do it. The sense here is the team is itchy and I don't think Bolland = solving their problems at C.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Where is Lecavalier's wife from? ;)

The plot thickens!

I would not be shocked to see Toronto do it. The sense here is the team is itchy and I don't think Bolland = solving their problems at C.

That's true. Bolland is a 2nd line center (maybe?), and maybe Vinny isn't a #1 guy for his duration, but at worst they'd have two 2nd line guys for a few years. Better than what they are building now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad