Confirmed with Link: Wings out of the bidding for Lecavalier, according to Khan (post #743)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWingsNow*

I don't mind that Holland wouldn't commit to a 5 year deal. I'm kind of pissed if he wouldn't up the salary, though. What else are we going to use it on?
But Weiss? When it comes to what our team needs -- Weiss is not the answer

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
They didn't want to go 5 years for a player already an old 33. He's been in the NHL since he's been 18. People on here can't seem to grasp that tho.

Yea, this is also a big deal. Datsyuk may be locked up until 39, but he wasn't in the league until he was 23.

Vinny is already 38 years old in Datsyuk years.

Still, 3 years, $6-6.5MM per would have been sweet...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I thought he was worth the contract and the risk. A little disappointed, Weiss is younger, but I don't really want to hear them complain about size after the big no thank you to Vinny, which is really what that offer was.

I really don't understand the point in insulting guys like VLC and Parise in back to back summers. If you know your offer isn't competitive why waste everyone's time?

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
To me, all this does is give our youngsters more of a shot at the top 6. I prefer going down that road.

Bertuzzi - Datsyuk - Brunner
Nyquist - Zetterberg - Franzen
Abdelkader - Helm - Tatar
Miller - Andersson - Eaves
Tootoo

Kronwall - Ericsson
DeKeyser - Smith
Quincey - Kindl
Lashoff

Howard
Gustavsson

Out: Emmerton, Samuelssson, Colaiacovo

That is with minimal movement. And it's a competitive team with a lot of potential IMO.

They either go with Brunner, Filppula or Weiss I think.

RedWingsNow*

I thought he was worth the contract and the risk. A little disappointed, Weiss is younger, but I don't really want to hear them complain about size after the big no thank you to Vinny, which is really what that offer was.

I really don't understand the point in insulting guys like VLC and Parise in back to back summers. If you know your offer isn't competitive why waste everyone's time?

Interesting point -- maybe just to let your fanbase know you're looking at options?

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I think, if you believe that then you do nothing, sit on your prospects and shed salary. Which is terrible to me as a fan but I understand; assuming the belief is we overachieved.

If we're talking about signing guys just to match that level of success; Kenny should tear the whole thing down now. The team has made it clear it's Conference Finals or bust, every year.

I obviously disagree, but assuming that's true (and I think Holland might agree with you secretly based on his moves); you do absolutely nothing and hope to luck out into 8th place for some extra paydays to keep the owner happy.

I think their core of Datsyuk, Z, Kronwall and Howard is good enough to warrant making some roster additions to make a true run. It's an aging core also, especially Z & D, so you gotta be willing to make a gamble or 2 in a trade or FA to put your team over the top. Doing nothing but sitting on your hands and praying to God that you hit the jackpot with multiple prospects turning into true superstars wastes (or at least inhibits) the chances of the current roster.

Making the playoffs in the NHL is pretty much like making it in the NBA- over the half the teams get into the playoffs, so you can be average or even slightly below-average each year and still make it. I think last year was an overachievement, but there's still enough pieces in place to add a few guys around them to make them into a contender.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013

Exactly, they were just performing some sort of obligation to him because he said he as interested in the Wings. They seemed to have no interest in signing him, if they did they would've gotten Lidstrom on the phone to talk to him, or Zetterberg to sell him on playing in Detroit. Instead I don't even think they followed up with him after what is reported to be their lowball offer.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Eh, I really wanted him, but if 5x5 was a must I'm not as interested.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Heh if it is all about term (or lack of one) prepare for brunner to be let go, cleary resigned fml, and one of either ribero, jagr, or iginla getting looked at but probably offered way to cheap to even consider a deal.

Don't hold your breath on weiss. He isn't worth the money. But the type of center you would throw cash at will never, ever, ever, ever hit FA. Lecav would have been great due to on 3rd and 4th year swapping positions with ironhook from 2 center to 3 center. But I give that year 5 would be ****ing stupid.

I was upset kenny didn't go after semin hard last year. 1 year 7 million sure as hell beats anything cleary, bertuzzi, and sammy could do combined together. At least this year hopefully if he signs a washed up it will hopefully be a future hhof'r in jagr or iginla. I just hope that in no way shape or form we have to see at any point in time next year the abomination that was the abby, cleary and dats line.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
I'm not happy with how cheap the Red Wings have become. Every year free agency comes and goes and we are left with the same cast. The worst thing that happened to the team this year was to make the playoffs. Now Holland will sit on his hands again and do absolutely nothing. He will bring everyone back and sign a 4th line player at most. They are making money hand over fist with the salary cap now and they've turned cheap.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I dont understand how anyone can possibly feel calle jarnkrok will be a better AND more productive NHL player then vinny lecavalier in the next five years.

the chances any of our prospects turn into an art ross, hart trophy winner are almost ziltch at best and even if one should AND it be in the next five years well then at that point you can move vinny all you want out of the way in any one of numerous ways

but given its been 7 years now for filppula and he is still nowehere near the player vinny is and he is demanding 5 plus million a season it should give you all the info you need to have to know not offering five year at 5 million to vinny is a huge mistake under the presumption some non-nhl ready mid rd draft pick, with half the size and half the pedigree as vinny will be better, more productive and better suited for the 2nd line centre duties anytime soon

when does it stop?

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Holland needs to ****ing understand that Detroit Red Wings á 2013 aren't the Detroit Red Wings of 01/02, when everyone wanted to come, at a discount...

If you want a player, PAY HIM HIS FREAKING MARKET VALUE AND THE TERM, if some crazy team still overpays that by a mile and he chose that team instead, then FINE, we can accept that..

STOP LOW-BALLING Free agents you old geezer of a GM

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Holland needs to ****ing understand that Detroit Red Wings á 2013 aren't the Detroit Red Wings of 01/02, when everyone wanted to come, at a discount...

If you want a player, PAY HIM HIS FREAKING MARKET VALUE AND THE TERM, if some crazy team still overpays that by a mile and he chose that team instead, then FINE, we can accept that..

He's feeling me right here.

Don't make me break out the Nic Cage montage again! :(

(Jokes, but seriously disappointed atm and not expecting it to get much better.)

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

I guess for the snowball's chance in hell the particular player would _really_ like to play for us, similar to to how Islanders probably inquiries about most good players and never gets one.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site

Amen. He would offer Stamkos 3 years 9 mil contract. The Red Wings are so damn cheap. Gone are the old days when money fell out of the sky, the current management is turning into some small market team down south.

RedWingsNow*

Personally, I would have supported 3 years, 19.5M.

I think with the likelihood that Datsyuk and Zetterberg have both lost a step or two within two years time, we simply can't sign a big name forward of Vinny's age/production curve, for 5 years.

But I do like to play Devil's advocate:
5 year means Vinny is finished at 38.
Datsyuk will be 39 when his deal is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad