Helene St. James Wings likely to waive Abdelkader, move on from Blashill

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Exactly. Imagine she publishes this article and then next year she's in the locker room trying to interview Abby and Blashill. Awkward. And players don't like when reports throw their coach and teammates under the bus for clicks. They'll remember that and the relationships are damaged. As much as we all want an unfiltered look into the Wings, that's not how these working relationships are formed. It's symbiotic. The reporters get access to the team and the team gets to control the tone of the narrative. This is entertainment. Sports are entertainment.

And I love how she gets criticized for being a shill when she reported on the Cleary situation but when she reports this stuff, now she's making up clickbait. I also wonder why HSJ gets so much more hate than the other beat writers. As far as I can tell, after years of reading our beat reporters content, she's nearly identical to the rest. They all have the same talking points and tepid criticism. If only I could pinpoint one thing that was different about her.
I mean we only really have her and Khan, and I've always thought that he is more willing to criticize the team. They're both definitely team mouthpieces and worth listening to just to get whatever the organization wants to give. Perhaps she gets more hate because she's a woman, but honestly I think it's because she used to be too Team Holland. I remember HSJ being particularly willing to tow the party line. I hope that's not just my perception due to unconscious sexism, and I should dislike Khan just as much, but I guess it's hard to know for sure. Either way if I was convinced it was sexism, I don't think it would make me like HSJ more; I'd just make things equitable by moving Khan from "useless beat writer" to "what do you even do all day?" status with her.

Reactions: Bench

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Exactly. Imagine she publishes this article and then next year she's in the locker room trying to interview Abby and Blashill. Awkward. And players don't like when reports throw their coach and teammates under the bus for clicks. They'll remember that and the relationships are damaged. As much as we all want an unfiltered look into the Wings, that's not how these working relationships are formed. It's symbiotic. The reporters get access to the team and the team gets to control the tone of the narrative. This is entertainment. Sports are entertainment.

And I love how she gets criticized for being a shill when she reported on the Cleary situation but when she reports this stuff, now she's making up clickbait. I also wonder why HSJ gets so much more hate than the other beat writers. As far as I can tell, after years of reading our beat reporters content, she's nearly identical to the rest. They all have the same talking points and tepid criticism. If only I could pinpoint one thing that was different about her.

Honestly don't think Khan is that much better, but HSJ interviews the players in the locker rooms before games and asks the most questions in post game interviews (and there have been criticism over the questions she's asked), which is why she gets more hate. But as far as her articles go, her and Khan are on par with each other. Ansar's lack of presence on cameras and in the rooms is why he's taken a little more seriously, from what I've noticed. (He hasn't had a mustache in like a decade and looks nothing like his current Twitter picture, but many people don't know that because he's never on camera in the media.)

Reactions: Bench

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
HSJ lost me because of all the team holland koolaide drinking marching in line and step. She was like a one woman holland propaganda machine. Those were dark days to be a wings fan but you would never know it from her articles.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I hate listening to her ask questions and much of the time I don't like the questions she asks players. I do like when I've seen Kronwall, Z, and Larkin answer her questions with a little vinegar when they don't like them.
But, yea, I expect both these "rumors" to be true.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
All of the Super Friends trot out the company line, a lot and honestly I don't expect it to be much different under Yzerman. Keep in mind he was a big part of breaking the media into line when he was a player. I could see Yzerman using them to float a false story but he hasn't always been super media available either, I don't think using them for something false was something Holland would have considered. I wonder who the inside guy is now, we always assumed it was actually Holland before, I wonder if that is Draper now...

I think where HSJ lost a lot of credibility was the Cleary stuff. I don't think her last couple seasons with him were inside scoops, she practically campaigned for him to make the roster the year he spent in Grand Rapids. That wasn't Holland talk and a lot of us that follow closely could tell on that one, it was strange. I don't dismiss what she says/writes as others have said I find it interesting when one of the players feels out whatever article she is going for and shuts her down hard in the post-game. Larks did that on a few occasions this year.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
All of the Super Friends trot out the company line, a lot and honestly I don't expect it to be much different under Yzerman. Keep in mind he was a big part of breaking the media into line when he was a player. I could see Yzerman using them to float a false story but he hasn't always been super media available either, I don't think using them for something false was something Holland would have considered. I wonder who the inside guy is now, we always assumed it was actually Holland before, I wonder if that is Draper now...

I think where HSJ lost a lot of credibility was the Cleary stuff. I don't think her last couple seasons with him were inside scoops, she practically campaigned for him to make the roster the year he spent in Grand Rapids. That wasn't Holland talk and a lot of us that follow closely could tell on that one, it was strange. I don't dismiss what she says/writes as others have said I find it interesting when one of the players feels out whatever article she is going for and shuts her down hard in the post-game. Larks did that on a few occasions this year.

HSJ's reporting on Cleary/Bertuzzi (Todd) bordered on unprofessional.

I do think that the Detroit media is far more likely to speculate than they were 10 years ago. It's the nature of how the job has changed.

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
HSJ's reporting on Cleary/Bertuzzi (Todd) bordered on unprofessional.

I do think that the Detroit media is far more likely to speculate than they were 10 years ago. It's the nature of how the job has changed.

What do you think was wrong with her Bertuzzi coverage?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
What do you think was wrong with her Bertuzzi coverage?

She was always playing up how good Bertuzzi was, and how he deserved to return.
Obviously, at this point, I can't point to specific articles. Maybe it was because she didn't like talking to all the European guys, but HSJ seemed to really like Cleary and Bertuzzi.

Bertuzzi wasn't very good is second time here. This is a guy who scored 18 goals top playing alongside Z and Datsyuk quite a bit. He also didn't offer any of that old Bertuzzi toughness.
He was slow. And mostly lethargic.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Where do Ehn and Erne fit in though? HSJ seems to indicate they're back. And, no provision for Svech, who's no longer waiver-exempt.

Something's gotta give....

I mean honestly, if it's me, I let Erne walk as a UFA, no offer. It was a nice try with the trade but he's nothing more really than a 4th liner, and I think Givanni Smith is the same type of player as Erne.

Svechnikov, is a RFA. Might as well let him walk, Taro Hirose is a better prospect than Svechnikov at this point. Let Svech go with his brother for a year, or where ever he can go. Give Hirose/Veleno those top line minutes in the AHL.

I think Ehn is a RFA, sign him, he can play in the AHL. His ceiling is what? MAYBE Riley Sheahans level? Have him practice that role in the AHL.* Top line grinder/PK * Red Wings need scoring bad, so I don't see a problem stashing him down for another season and letting him work on his game/role.

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
That was part of it too. Dan Cleary was done as a player about 3 seasons before the last time he was signed but she pumped his tires season after season even after he was cut. To me I have a hard time taking someone who is supposed to be an inside expert seriously after that. That was also a time when some voices in the media could have made a difference calling out the emperor's new clothes. The wings were not going to compete for a cup, they were getting worse every season, going for it was going to turn the dumpster fire into a 100 latter dumpster inferno. If you exclusively read HSJ you would have thought everything was going great becasue we had the mighty Abdelkater locked up. Then we just got unlucky and the streak ended. That isn't news, that is op-ed propaganda.

I hate to pile on her because I do know how much harder a job like that is as a women but I gotta call it where I see it. I wish she did have more interdependence and critical positions where its warranted.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I dont get why we need to waive Abdelkader, it is not like we are capped anywhere in the near future...
That's why we aren't buying him out. Waiving him only saves 900k of his salary and retains the rest as a buffer against the cap floor and moves him off the main roster allowing for the future of the organization to have more time to play. Buying him out would be less of a cap hit but for longer. And whenever we needed a plug to fill a hole, he's at least capable of playing bottom 6 minutes. It's the best solution for him. Like what we did with Ericsson, this year.

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
Abdelakader would be a great move! Another great move would be if we can unload Franz Nielsen on someone. Talk about waste of space. You can go a whole week without even hearing his name and you check the boxscore and he's played every game.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
HSJ lost me because of all the team holland koolaide drinking marching in line and step. She was like a one woman holland propaganda machine. Those were dark days to be a wings fan but you would never know it from her articles.
But that's how you can know when she says these things that she's reliable.

You don't have to accept her spin on things, but "Blashill gone" and "Abdelkader waived" are not spin. They are statements of supposed fact. Her drinking the "kool aid" to me just means she tries to toe the party line, which has benefits like being fed stories about player and coaching decisions.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
There is a difference between taking HSJ as a professional seriously and taking her information seriously. I don’t view her as an overly talented writer, investigative reporter, or hockey mind, but she’s got connections as a team PR agent/ mouth piece.

If she’s making statements, you have to assume they are being considered internally.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There is a difference between taking HSJ as a professional seriously and taking her information seriously. I don’t view her as an overly talented writer, investigative reporter, or hockey mind, but she’s got connections as a team PR agent/ mouth piece.

If she’s making statements, you have to assume they are being considered internally.

Yeah, I think you got it right what she is.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Blashill is the victim of circumstances in my opinion. He's not completely at fault but at the sametime he's not really helping. I think he's a solid coach, just not a good one or one that you want developing the youth of the team.

Let's give Blashill a team full of NHL level players vs an AHL level squad. Ie. Blashill's team USA vs Finland at the WC.

Attempt 1: USA lose 2-0
Filppula plus 3 rookies
Attempt 2: USA lose 6-2
Finland had a few of NHLers, mostly non-NHL
Attempt 3: USA win 3-2 in OT
1 NHL rookie

For some strange reason, he gets outcoached by the Fins time and time again despite having the better team every time.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Let's give Blashill a team full of NHL level players vs an AHL level squad. Ie. Blashill's team USA vs Finland at the WC.

Attempt 1: USA lose 2-0
Filppula plus 3 rookies
Attempt 2: USA lose 6-2
Finland had a few of NHLers, mostly non-NHL
Attempt 3: USA win 3-2 in OT
1 NHL rookie

For some strange reason, he gets outcoached by the Fins time and time again despite having the better team every time.

Which has been a theme of international hockey when Finland wins every time.

Them punching above their weight in the World Championship isn't new.

They were unlucky in attempt 1 and outplayed them by system and everything else while running into a great goatending performance.

Schneider crapped the bed entirely in the second matchup where they lost the game in a five minute span if I remember right.

Also I think you might have mixed up attempt 2 and 3... But not sure.

Blashill is respected in the game for a reason by hockey people. I think it is likely time for a change, but people pretending the guy doesn't know hockey or hockey systems are out to lunch.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
If anyone on thos board doesnt take her seriously than theyre not very smart. Shes the teams mouth piece that doesnt ask the hard questions which annoys some people but when she has come out with rumours or talk about whats going to happen with the team she has had the inside info.

She wouldnt just make up rumours for clicks about the wings possibly moving Blashill into the front office when they find a new coach. Thats a thing most teams would never do and pretty random unless she has some inside info

I do not follow her, or anyone else closely. I believe I use maybe en hour per week to read and post on this board. Obviously some other posters use much more time.
My impression was that the most of the posters here did not think much of her or other journalists. Maybe I didn't follow closely enough.

Anyhow, Abdelkader has had an extremely bad season and a very few if anyone consider he deserves the contract he has.
The point here is not if he takes the roster spot now, but that spot may be badly needed down the road. Especially money wise.

Blashill. Yzerman has praised him on several occasions. Maybe Yzerman did it because he thought it is the best for the team and wanted to wait till the end of the season. And now Yzerman thinks it is the time to make it public.

I support Yzerman, he has not done big mistakes so far. I however don't think he is the best GM in the league just because he is Yzerman and I think he should be criticised if and when he makes mistakes.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Which has been a theme of international hockey when Finland wins every time.

Them punching above their weight in the World Championship isn't new.

They were unlucky in attempt 1 and outplayed them by system and everything else while running into a great goatending performance.

Schneider crapped the bed entirely in the second matchup where they lost the game in a five minute span if I remember right.

Also I think you might have mixed up attempt 2 and 3... But not sure.

Blashill is respected in the game for a reason by hockey people. I think it is likely time for a change, but people pretending the guy doesn't know hockey or hockey systems are out to lunch.
Its possible.

Just checked, attempt #3 was in 2019.

Blashill is great at analyzing systems. Think there was that clip from training camp where he was discussing systems of other teams and I am hey, for once he comes off extremely intelligent and passionate. Normally his lack of charisma is very evident.

FSD did show a couple clips of his team talks during last year's broadcasts, and Blash came off very unmotivational.

I don't think he is a bad coach, just not the coach this team needs. Seems more suited for an assistant role IMO.

Reactions: NotLeddy

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

FSD did show a couple clips of his team talks during last year's broadcasts, and Blash came off very unmotivational.

I don't think he is a bad coach, just not the coach this team needs. Seems more suited for an assistant role IMO.

Yeah, it's one thing to understand the game, it's another to implement it.

Adam Oates is highly regarded for his hockey knowledge, he was a terrible head coach. Dave Lewis was a good assistant, but terrible head coach. I could come up with tons of examples. Just because Blash knows the game doesn't mean he should be head coach. He hasn't been able to implement any sort of system with the Wings and his roster selections are questionable at best. I'm not impressed.

Maybe Blash does get a second chance somewhere, I mean even Dave Lewis got a second chance. Quite frankly I'll be happy when he's gone along with Disco Dan. Could care less what he does after he leaves.

Reactions: Snuggs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad