Pre-Game Talk: Wings in Ottawa, Saturday 7:00 pm on SportsNet1

Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I'm guessing no EK for this game, which is probably for the best honestly. Wings aren't as competitive so we might not need him quite as much, even with Oduya out. Keep him fresh for the Canucks on tuesday.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think if Guy continues to like Thompson and pyatt against top lines this season may get frustratin.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I'd like to see this team get a win without EK - just for the players. Ottawa gets zero respect from the pundits, last year we went from the playoff team 'that no one wanted to play' in the first round of th playoffs to a lottery team this season.

If you read the media it's like we have EK, Anderson and 18 AHL players. Ottawa has a solid solid lineup. All our 4 lines are solid. Our top 6 without EK is still decent. We are 1 top 3 player away from being a top 5 NHL team.

Ottawa 3-2.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think if Guy continues to like Thompson and pyatt against top lines this season may get frustratin.
The line of Pyatt-Thompson/Pageau-Pageau/Thompson did a pretty good job against the OV line. One turnover that cost them aside, that's not a bad night at all.

The Turris line is the one that really cost us that game. They produced next to nothing, aside from a few individual efforts by Hoffman and got killed everytime they matched up against Ovechkin's line.

I don't mind if they break up Pyatt-Thompson and Pageau, mostly because I'd rather Pageau get some more offensive guys, but it's a solid shutdown line if you ask me.

Having said that, if I had my way, I'd give this a shot:

Hoffman-Turris-Dzingel
Ryan-Brassard-Stone
Smith-Pageau-Formenton
Pyatt-Thompson-Burrows

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Apparently the practice lines from Friday had this for our D

Phaneuf-Ceci
Claesson-Wideman
Harpur-Borowiecki

Not a fan tbh, but we`ll see.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Thompson and pyatt by all account got annihilated last game.

Tonight it's formenton Thompson and burrows. What do you think that has the makings of.

They played almost all their icetime against the Ovechkin line, and OV looked invisible through the first two periods. When they weren't out against OV, they got Backstrom. Of note, Ovechkin's line did much better when not up against the Thompsn/Pyatt/Pageau line.

If there's a line that got annihilated imo, it was Turris' line. They struggled against the Caps top 6 in a big way. They had the appearance of being respectable because they also got to face the caps bottom six, which the Pageau/Thompson line did not.

Turris' line allowed more quality chances against OVs line than Pyatt/Thompson, while playing nearly 3 less mins. They got roasted by OV.

You need to take into account roles when judging lines. A shutdown third line is doing it's job if it tires out the oppositions top 6 while not allowing many quality chances. Thompson and Pyatt did just that. A top 6 line needs to create offense, and Turris' line didn't do that nearly enough imo.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
A "great" shutdown line doesn't get caved in. Too many time shutdown line Is simply a line of the bad players. And when they get caved in and the other line just happens to not score they're praised for their job. And when the top line does score it's "oh well did you expect them to stop the other teams top line all game?!" It's probably the easiest job in the NHL perception-wise. It's win-win.

I meant this to be a quote dammit.

Yeah Thompson and pyatt didn't tire anyone out. Circles were being skated around them.

Great shutdown lines were the old shaefer fisher neil line. That was tiring out the other teams top 6. Getting it deep in the other teams zone and dominating the boards. Not even giving the opposition a sniff.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
A "great" shutdown line doesn't get caved in. Too many time shutdown line Is simply a line of the bad players. And when they get caved in and the other line just happens to not score they're praised for their job. And when the top line does score it's "oh well did you expect them to stop the other teams top line all game?!" It's probably the easiest job in the NHL perception-wise. It's win-win.
But Thompson line was never caved in.

And no I don't care about their Corsi.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I meant this to be a quote dammit.

Yeah Thompson and pyatt didn't tire anyone out. Circles were being skated around them.

Great shutdown lines were the old shaefer fisher neil line. That was tiring out the other teams top 6. Getting it deep in the other teams zone and dominating the boards. Not even giving the opposition a sniff.

Not sure were going to agree here. Ovechkin is going to get his chances regardless of who he plays, limiting the chances is the goal, and Pyatt/Thompson did just that, to the point that the OV line was noticably quiet through the first 2 periods. They simply weren't getting caved in as you describe it. It never really happened. The caps typically were held to the outside, and not generating a lot of chances. The stats support this; Ottawa currently has the 4th lowest HDCA/60, 12th lowest SCA/60, 4th lowest SA/60 and 7th lowest FA/60. Nothing about that suggests we were getting caved in.

I never said they were a great shut down line, and a shutdown line that does what your expectations seem to be would be downright elite. I said they were fine in their role, and they helped open up advantageous deployment for the Brassard line while not putting the team in a hole, which is exactly the job of a shutdown line.

People need to accept that elite players like Ovechkin while create chances without it being the fault of the opposition. We don't blame chances Karlsson creates on the opposition messing up, we credit Karlsson with being an amazing talent and creating something out of nothing, but as soon as another teams star does something, all the sudden it's all the fault of the defender.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Practice lines today:

Smith-Turris-Dzingel
Ryan-Brassard-Stone
Pyatt-Pageau-Hoffman
Formenton-Thompson-Burrows

At least Pageau is back at C. Poor Formenton :ha:
No Oduya on the ice.

PLEASE please pls switch hoff and smith. Gotta play our eagles with our eagles. smith - jpg - pyatt make a good shut down line

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Phaneuf-Ceci
Boro-Wideman
Claesson-Harpur

that's my guess. Gonna look ugly anyway you cut it
very very close good call.. makes sense Harpur has more experience on the right side from Bingo last year... I guess Cleasson is being pushed over there this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad