Player Discussion: Tyler Bertuzzi

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Looks like the people who originally complained about the pick four years ago finally have some ammunition to dump on him. How about we let him play 100 NHL games before deciding on what type of player he'll be in the NHL? He needs more NHL experience.

ammunition? a lot of us that were against the pick wanted Pavel Buchnevich,that's all the "ammunition" we'll ever need regardless of how Bertuzzi does at this point

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
His after game interview? That is exactly what he said lol. " Blash talked to me told me not to do too much, and not hit too much".

eh, that sounds like Blashill was just telling the kid to go out and play his game and not try to be super bert. how many times do we hear players talk about learning to play in the NHL involving knowing your limitations, playing your game, and not doing something stupid that puts you in a bad position when you try to do too much?

Bert had a rough game on the stat sheet, not a huge deal. Give him ten or so games, and see where he stands then.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You have no idea what you're talking about. It's cute.

Yeah, because all players get 100 games before teams know that they will make the NHL or not. If you think that somehow 100 games is the mark players reach for teams to ascertain if a player is NHL material you're the one who has no idea what they are talking about.

Most players get about half a season to a season at most to show they are NHL material. And Bert's skill set isn't one that historically take a long time to evaluate at the NHL level. He's not a boom/bust skill player, hes a pest that has had some upside in lower level leagues. He's not a Rubik's cube.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
eh, that sounds like Blashill was just telling the kid to go out and play his game and not try to be super bert. how many times do we hear players talk about learning to play in the NHL involving knowing your limitations, playing your game, and not doing something stupid that puts you in a bad position when you try to do too much?

Bert had a rough game on the stat sheet, not a huge deal. Give him ten or so games, and see where he stands then.
But that's just it playing it all safe and chill is not his game. You tell that kid go out there be a shit stirrer, hit any thing that moves on the for check, get open, come back and play responsible in your own end.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Hope he turns out, but he looks a lot closer to Cory Emmerton than an agitating pest. He's way to small/slow to be playing the style he wants to play.

Oct 18, 2006
Hope he turns out, but he looks a lot closer to Cory Emmerton than an agitating pest. He's way to small/slow to be playing the style he wants to play.
Totally how I see it too. I just don't have much faith in him long term. Has always looked too weak at NHL level.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Totally how I see it too. I just don't have much faith in him long term. Has always looked too weak at NHL level.

He's played a grand total of 8 games in Detroit, let's see how he plays after a full season before writing him off.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Yes it's only been 8 games, but if he doesn't start showing improvment then the amount of games he gets to show his stuff will be smaller and smaller. I would imagine the amount of time you get to show your stuff depends heavily on both your previous play in the AHL and current play in the NHL, it isn't rocket science.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
But that's just it playing it all safe and chill is not his game. You tell that kid go out there be a **** stirrer, hit any thing that moves on the for check, get open, come back and play responsible in your own end.

Where did I say to play it safe and sit back? I said to not do too much. He can still through the body around and be a pain out there, just don't do it stupidly while trying to do too much. We saw it for years with guys like Maltby, Draper, Mac, Marty, and later on with Drake, Cleary, and Sammy. It's not going to matter, though, if he's not going to be played.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
All I'm saying is they gave Wilson, I think, 17 games, and it's not mathematically possible to produce less than Wilson did. Makes me wonder if they might have another point or two, had Booth been given a better shot sooner. Also makes me think, looking at the standings, that we can now probably afford to give Bertuzzi a decent look. Might as damned well at this point.

I was thinking last night, that if you go through the trouble of calling a guy up so you can take a look at him, then you ought to play him.

I think he had not quite 10 minutes his first game up, however, no minutes at all last night.

Last edited:

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
All I'm saying is they gave Wilson, I think, 17 games, and it's not mathematically possible to produce less than Wilson did. Makes me wonder if they might have another point or two, had Booth been given a better shot sooner. Also makes me think, looking at the standings, that we can now probably afford to give Bertuzzi a decent look. Might as damned well at this point.

I was thinking last night, that if you go through the trouble of calling a guy up so you can take a look at him, then you ought to play him.

I think he had not quite 6 minutes his first game up, however, no minutes at all last night.

Cos Blash has a policy of wanting to up the kids ice time without cutting that of anyone else in the top 9. So the 4th line is like a wasteland...Cos Blash likes to roll all 3.3 lines....

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
WHo's the defenseman who's so f***ing good that we need to be running 11/7 and scuttling our forward lines?

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
They must believe Witkowski and Booth give the Wings a better chance of winning. Not saying they're wrong but the decision is hilarious. 11-7 is a Blashill wet-dream.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Its who're the forwards that are so bad that having a 12th forward actually makes this team worse than riding 11?

Pretty sure its more that they can give Larkin those extra minutes and still have Witkowski in the line up. He can play a shift at forward here or there if someone is tired but actually doesn't look bad on D. I know a lot of people say hes just out there to fight but defensively hes looked just as good as Jensen, Ouellet and any of those other guys while playing tougher than everyone else. But on top of that being able to give Larkin the most ice time with & D makes the most sense to me. Would rather that than Booth in the line up

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Pretty sure its more that they can give Larkin those extra minutes and still have Witkowski in the line up. He can play a shift at forward here or there if someone is tired but actually doesn't look bad on D. I know a lot of people say hes just out there to fight but defensively hes looked just as good as Jensen, Ouellet and any of those other guys while playing tougher than everyone else. But on top of that being able to give Larkin the most ice time with & D makes the most sense to me. Would rather that than Booth in the line up

AA generally plays more in the 11-7 lineup which is also a big thing.

I really like this team playing the 11-7. I still think we need to be trying to rotate Bertuzzi in. But I can see a lot of developmental advantages to playing our three young kids up front a lot of minutes in the 11-7.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
with an injury to glendening, i hope he gets called up again and gets a few games under his belt. I'm anxious to see if he could adapt into his designated role

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad