HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Okay, I'll imagine that. Done, Now tell me who's the Makar comparable in the draft, the Habs version of Girard, and the Cody Glass of the 2024 top 7.
Obviously Buium and Hutson, and you can probably insert any of the forwards and the point still stands

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Okay, I'll imagine that. Done, Now tell me who's the Makar comparable in the draft, the Habs version of Girard, and the Cody Glass of the 2024 top 7.
It's not about whos who, it's about the philosophy. It's completely asinine to pass on a certain player without considering the level of talent he has just because we may have a lesser alternative at home.
I agree, but I just think Buium is the best player there so I would pick him.

Yeah...what's so bad of having Buium and Hutson? too much talent?
Not that I think Buium is Makar but like... ? Havent we learned anything.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
It's not about whos who, it's about the philosophy. It's completely asinine to pass on a certain player without considering the level of talent he has just because we may have a lesser alternative at home.

Plus I think that the Hutson and Buium comparison grossly underrates Buium's defensive game and mostly his potential to develop it.

I think Buium has the smarts, skating agility and size to be a complete player a la Adam Fox. Again, not a comparison, its just that I personally think he has the highest ceiling in the 2-12 group and I would never pass on that because we have Hutson at home.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022

Why would you think that HuGo would do that?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Where would Hutson play if the habs draft Buium? Playing Hutson on the bottom pairing with bottom pairing minutes is a waste. Also only one of Buuim, Hutson, and Mailloux will play on the top powerplay unit, which will get most of the pp time.

The only missing piece for the habs to become a contender in the future is another high end forward, and the best way to get one of those is by drafting them high.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I agree, but I just think Buium is the best player there so I would pick him.

You would be making your defense worse 5 on 5, as both aren't going to give you surplus value defensively.. and you can only really have 1 running your PP1, so you're not going to get best value out of using Buium or Hutson sparingly on a 2nd PP unit.

Reactions: Deebs

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Where would Hutson play if the habs draft Buium? Playing Hutson on the bottom pairing with bottom pairing minutes is a waste. Also only one of Buuim, Hutson, and Mailloux will play on the top powerplay unit, which will get most of the pp time.

The only missing piece for the habs to become a contender in the future is another high end forward, and the best way to get one of those is by drafting them high.

I think if you take Buium you’re trading one of Buium or Hutson at some point if you’re keeping Xhekaj and Guhle

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
No, lose 6 years, been injured frequently, averages 25 goals and 60 points we should get better offense with this pick.
Well this is pretty disingenuous. If you exclude his rookie year he's got 279 points in 324 games which is a 70 point pace. Not to mention everything else he brings to the table. This would be like calling Suzuki a 60 point player by including his rookie year and you aren't getting a more productive player than Suzuki by trading the 5th OA pick.
His 8 million a year bring us another major asset. Summer of '25 is deep UFA market his 8 million will help out quite a bit. Plus Lindstrom and Reinbacher both should be ready to join team by then.
Yes a major asset and a major piece of the team. What player will you get that is better than Svechnikov with 8 million? Not to mention that this hypothetical player would be considerably older and would have to agree to sign here at that money which is highly unlikely. You're hoping that Lindstrom becomes something close to Svech, and he's also had injury concerns too.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Run to the table and take Catton, no problem there.

You would be making your defense worse 5 on 5, as both aren't going to give you surplus value defensively.. and you can only really have 1 running your PP1, so you're not going to get best value out of using Buium or Hutson sparingly on a 2nd PP unit.
Buium has his lapses but I think he's a very good defender. Great cap control, active stick, can break up cycles. Still wouldn't pick him but I don't think he's just some all offense guy.

Reactions: Mrb1p and ginomini

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Thats fair, but its also drafting based on a prediction where everything goes as planned. We all know everything wont go as planned and we don’t know where the plan will derail.

So if one thinks that Buium is that much better than the rest — which is my case — just draft the guy. But again thats based on me believing that Buium can become an offensive dynamo who can safely log 24 min. Essentially a Norris contender. I think this is mostly where we disagree.

Reactions: Mrb1p

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well first off we should remember pre-lottery that we have a better chance of picking 6th or 7th than 5th and before... So we need to see the first 5 picks to see who would be available when we pick.

But if that's how the draft goes, at our most likely picking point, i.e. 6th, we'd be able to get one of the top 2 on HuGo's from among:

Buium (LD)
Dickinson (LD)
Saliyev (LD)

Parekh (RD)
Yakumchuk (RD)

Catton
Iginla
Eiserman
Helenius

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad