Confirmed with Link: Wings-Avs Rivalry ESPN Special coming next month

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Seems like someone who would have some interesting stories over a beer to me.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I can't believe they didn't cover the 1999, 2000, and 2002 series at all. Very silly to end the documentary with Detroit's cup win over Washington in 1998, half a decade before the rivalry ended. :squint:

I think so much of the documentary focused on Lemieux that they just casually ignored those years (Lemieux was still there in 1999 but gone after).

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I can't believe they didn't cover the 1999, 2000, and 2002 series at all. Very silly to end the documentary with Detroit's cup win over Washington in 1998, half a decade before the rivalry ended. :squint:

I think so much of the documentary focused on Lemieux that they just casually ignored those years (Lemieux was still there in 1999 but gone after).
IMHO it could've been a 2 part series.

Reactions: shadow1

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
The biggest thing to hit me from this was that I f***ing miss us being relevant during playoff time. I know we are told to be patient etc etc but I am so ready to watch a competitive team. I am tired of missing the f***ing playoffs and watching teams I hate compete for Stanley Cups.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

IMHO it could've been a 2 part series.
It definitely should've been a two-part series. I'm not surprised ESPN didn't go that direction though.

Reactions: shadow1

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
How hammered was McCarty during his interviews? Wow. I thought maybe after years of punches to the head maybe that's just how he sounds now, but you can tell a major difference between when he's on stage talking with Lemieux and when he's being interviewed alone...he was lit.

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
How hammered was McCarty during his interviews? Wow. I thought maybe after years of punches to the head maybe that's just how he sounds now, but you can tell a major difference between when he's on stage talking with Lemieux and when he's being interviewed alone...he was lit.
I think he's alcohol free currently. However, he promotes a weed company and has said he uses it frequently...

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Funny how you never hear Lidstrom during these 1997-1998 documentaries. Yet he was already probably their best player.

I wish Sergei got interviewed for this documentary too.

Reactions: Ricelund

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
The documentary is available on YouTube. Search for the name and you'll find it. Don't know how long this will be available. Glad I found it, hard to have a chance to see it in Europe.
1.5 GB Download size, in case you want to store it. ;-)
Did you find the extended ESPN+ version, or was it the version that aired on ESPN?

EDIT: The one I just found and am downloading is 2:07.... I think that's the extended version? The version that aired on TV was 2 hours and included 10 or so commercial breaks, so I assume I'm getting the extended version :dunno:

Reactions: NikMo53

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
The documentary is available on YouTube. Search for the name and you'll find it. Don't know how long this will be available. Glad I found it, hard to have a chance to see it in Europe.

thanks for the heads up found it wanted to watch the extended cut but was not about to shell out for ESPN+ (dont even have Netflix lol)

watch it while you can cause as someone who uploaded lots of old Wings games and stuff on YouTube it will most likely be pulled down fast lol

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I only found the 720p version.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Thank you guys. I'm currently watching, laughing and crying, laughing and crying. Enjoying.

These are so big memories for me, I started being NHL fan on that time -94 -95, don't remember clearly, Hated Roy already from -93 finals... wanted Gretzky and Kurri to win.

Then I loved Red Wings because the Russian/European style and all these disappointments -95 ja -96. And this Claude thing, both at -95 and -96...

Winning after these disappointments makes you really a die hard fan. And that's what I still am. Red Wings was that. My Finnish favourite won Championship at -03 after 2 losses in the -01 and -02 finals. And you thought that would be worst you ever deal with... no, again, at -13, -14, -15 losing at Finals, then winning at -16. Those are greatest stories. That season felt like it did last 4 years. Greatest feeling championships. When you are real good, but suffer first.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

The off ice stuff is what made this rivalry so unique and intense. That stuff mostly went away after 98 so i can see why they didn't really choose to focus on the later years when it was dying down.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I think the best that can be said about Hodson, was he was a serviceable 3rd stringer. His numbers were largely abysmal in the dead puck era that he played in.

It's really hard to gauge considering how weird his career was getting stuck long-term in crowded crease situations while the team was looking to make room for him, or hang onto him until they got the return they wanted. I chronicled this mess in a post in the HOH section: Why did the Red Wings trade Mike Vernon after the 97 Cup Run?

He really only had two season where he had a measure-able work load:

-97/98: Where he finally got the #2 job in Detroit and ended the season with pretty good numbers for an NHL back up goalie

-99/00: Platooning for a dumpster fire Lightning team who's front office seemed to forget that they were no longer working for a Turner Cup contender. He was pretty much the worst goalie in the league that year.

I always thought Hodson was both one of the luckiest and unluckiest NHL players at the same time.

His name appears on the Cup twice and he's got two rings, with one of the seasons being one where he started 4 games and didn't even have to sit on the bench for a playoff game. He also had a pretty good gig in his final season... Having little competition for Tampa's back up job after 2 years of retirement where he eventually got to earn an NHL paycheck to start a game once a month for half a season.

I feel like Hodson could also hold some kind of oddball NHL record. Something like "Least amount of starts for a goalie that spent the majority of at least 5 seasons on an NHL roster" or "most X week long periods without starting or playing an NHL game while on an NHL roster".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad