Confirmed with Link: Wings-Avs Rivalry ESPN Special coming next month

blueadams

May 30, 2011
Definitely looking forward to seeing this. Seeing that Konstantinov clip gave me chills
Samee!

Man...how f'ing awesome.

Detroit fans have actually been pretty blessed recently by ESPN...

This
Lions Hard Knocks (Hbo, but still..)
The Bad Boys 30 for 30
The Fab Five 30 for 30
The Rodman 30 for 30

Going back to the wonderful old SportsCentury's...
Joe Louis
Magic Johnson
Ty Cobb
Gordie Howe
Sugar Ray Robinson
Barry Sanders
Tom Brady
Hank Greenberg
Derek Jeter
Denny McLain
Dennis Rodman
Isiah Thomas
Chris Weber
Venus & Serena Williams
Sparky Anderson
Larry Brown

ESPNs The Season (2002/03, I believe.. the yr after Scotty retired: )

Detroit legends / Michigan-born athletes have been getting a lot of their stories told to the national audience lately 👏👏

Last edited:
Reactions: Hughes Hefner

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I didn't see a specific date when it is airing/streaming

What an epic time to be a hockey fan - especially a Red Wing fan.

Reactions: 13to40

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Who is this?

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 9.48.57 AM.png

Reactions: Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Left handed

May 8, 2018
Can't wait. I'll definitely be watching. This was the era I grew up becoming a hockey fan and a Wings fan. What a time to get into this sport.

Reactions: Spitfire11

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
The hate was real back then but the rivalry has mellowed thru time and especially now that each team are on separate conferences.

Avs player Alex Tanguay is now an asst. coach for the Redwings. Long time Redwings forward Darren Helm just scored the goal that helped clinch the Western Conf Finals for the Avs.

Claude Lemieux is now a player agent who represents the Redwing's most promising defenceman Moritz Seider and is friendly enough with his tormentor McCarty that they got together to watch their epic fight on the 25th anniversary of that game and the Redwings fans in attendance cheered him.

He wasn't so cheerful back then.

Watching the game back, Lemieux said he didn't like what he was seeing. He was skating tentatively, avoiding traffic.

That night at the Joe, however, he wasn't himself. Maybe it was because before the game, he had thoughts of getting shot. Seriously. "It crossed my mind," he said.

"Anybody that's been in a fight," said Lemieux, "you get in that position, you're done.

"I just wasn't ready for what was coming, and it came hard.

"You hang on tight and you take your beating."

As McCarty was pounding Lemieux, Colorado goalie Patrick Roy tried to stop it, but was met by Detroit's Brendan Shanahan, who delivered a clothesline right out of the WWF.

Shanahan and Foote then got into it, before Detroit goalie Mike Vernon went to try to help Shanahan. That's when Roy and Vernon mixed it up, that rare goalie fight that Lemieux still considers the best of the game.

Apparently Lemieux's teammate Adam Foote confronted him after the game after he refused to fight and turned turtle to defend himself.

Lemieux thinks it might have been Foote who stormed in and said, "We're going to fight till we die," to which Lemieux said, laughing (Saturday, 25 years later, anyway), "That's not a good idea."

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupNazi

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
This is whats missing in modern day hockey. And why i hate how the league is trying to p***yfy the sport. By far two best teams that defined the era going at each other in every possible sense. It transcends sport and really speaks to us on a basic primal level. And we probably won't ever see something like this again.

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
This is whats missing in modern day hockey. And why i hate how the league is trying to p***yfy the sport. By far two best teams that defined the era going at each other in every possible sense. It transcends sport and really speaks to us on a basic primal level. And we probably won't ever see something like this again.

It’s missing from professional sports in general. Every league has completely sanitized itself trying to appeal to corporate sponsors and the stereotypical “oh, now stop that boys” housewives lol.

The hatred and the violence of this rivalry shaped my opinion on professional sports. I wish they’d bring back fraternization rules so these guys wouldn’t be all buddy-buddy.

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
Here's the full teaser/trailer in 60FPS HD.
Brought to you by @HockeyWebCast on YouTube, he's not on Twitter anymore though. 😩

Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Another part of the problem is, these guys are way more connected around the league then ever before. Back then, there was only a few major spring hockey league teams in each area. It was for the elite. Now every kid plays spring hockey so there are that many more connections. Everyone trains together etc. While guys may still go at it a bit on the ice, that vitrol isn't there for an entire team now because so many guys are buddies or connected through social media etc.

Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Looking forward to it the 30:30 episodes are awesome. The bo jackson one I especially loved.

100% chance this will be really good.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Looks like it is going to air some time during the Stanley Cup finals. That's the best I could find for an air date.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad